• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Online CC Permit

bonefish101

imported post

Hey all, I just took an online class for my cc permit, watched an hour video, took a twenty question test, scored better than the required 75% to pass (if you dont, no charge for another try). Took my certificate to the county court a couple of days ago and it was excepted without question.

If you are looking to fast track your permit you can have this done in just over an hour, no classroom time, no range time (I would hope you can already think safety and have plenty of practice if you are considering carrying, either open or concealed.

This really was a quick and painless experience.

email me if you want a link, I am in their referal program now so you will see my details at the end of the link but hey, it was an easy class for a great price.

God Bless them itranet thingys

email bonefish101@hotmail.com

bonefish101

imported post

No, this is for a concealed permit, not open carry. I would just post the link here, just dont want to piss off any moderators, I'm new here and unsure of Y'all's rules and such.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Welcome to the forum. The online class is nothing new, and a number of us are referrers.

This site is primarily for Open Carry Issues but concealed carry issues come up sometimes.

Spend some time surfing the forum and learn about open carry.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

bonefish101 wrote:
No, this is for a concealed permit, not open carry.
The reason the next person responded with Opencarry.org??? was because of this RULE "2) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life - all posts should relate substantially tothis agenda, even if your comments pertain mainly to freedom andliberty." (Color and BOLD was added by the board owner(s).)

t33j

imported post

virginiatuck wrote:
t33j wrote:
OpenCarry.org ??? :?
It's somewhat relevant since you need to have a CHP to OC at the General Assembly buildings.  Also, having a VA CHP would authorize OC in *some of* the "green" states on this map.

Yeah I have no problem with CHP holders and I'm about to become one myself (1000' from school, and State Parks). It was just a little disheartening seeing someones 3rd post about CC stuffs.

I cringe every time I see the words "online CC permit" and the like....

I know that I'm in the minority, but I so wish they'd do away with that silliness.

No need to flame.....
Actually I'm inclined to agree with you. While I contend that neither class nor permit should be required to CC, the objective for "classroom instruction" seems to concern itself with the proper handling and use of a firearm. (Not legal issues surrounding CC, although that was presented in the class I attended) I don't think an online class without range time, or even handling a gun serves that objective. I am not saying that there should be any conditions whatsoever on exercising a right... my argument is simply that online classes should not meet the current requirements.

The end result cannot be ignored, and that is it makes it easier for some people to CC... which I can't argue with.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

t33j wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
t33j wrote:
OpenCarry.org ??? :?
It's somewhat relevant since you need to have a CHP to OC at the General Assembly buildings. Also, having a VA CHP would authorize OC in *some of* the "green" states on this map.

Yeah I have no problem with CHP holders and I'm about to become one myself (1000' from school, and State Parks). It was just a little disheartening seeing someones 3rd post about CC stuffs.

I cringe every time I see the words "online CC permit" and the like....

I know that I'm in the minority, but I so wish they'd do away with that silliness.

No need to flame.....
Actually I'm inclined to agree with you. While I contend that neither class nor permit should be required to CC, the objective for "classroom instruction" seems to concern itself with the proper handling and use of a firearm. (Not legal issues surrounding CC, although that was presented in the class I attended) I don't think an online class without range time, or even handling a gun serves that objective. I am not saying that there should be any conditions whatsoever on exercising a right... my argument is simply that online classes should not meet the current requirements.

The end result cannot be ignored, and that is it makes it easier for some people to CC... which I can't argue with.
Next there will be a move to require in vivo classroom time and a range firing qualification for a permit to OC. And you folks who are providing a quality service by conducting the classes currently required for the state permitting process will be responsible for that coming about.

If someone is willing to assume the responsibility of carrying a firearm, regardless of whhether it is for hunting, target shooting, a fashion statement or self protection they ought to acquaint themselves with the laws regarding that decision. But there should not be any restriction on how you acquire that information - be it an on-line course, a classroom course, or perusing sites like OCDO until you think you know enough.

The opposite side of the coin regarding classroom-only instruction is that classroom instructors should be held liable for any student that passes their course but later violates some law covered in the class.:uhoh: Notwilling to stick your neck out that far? Then don't disparage on-line instruction.

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
The opposite side of the coin regarding classroom-only instruction is that classroom instructors should be held liable for any student that passes their course but later violates some law covered in the class.:uhoh: Notwilling to stick your neck out that far? Then don't disparage on-line instruction.

stay safe.

That makes no sense at all. If an instructor teaches the student the proper way to do ABC, and later the student violates ABC,why would the instructor need to stick his neck out?

ed

imported post

skidmark wrote:
If someone is willing to assume the responsibility of carrying a firearm, regardless of whhether it is for hunting, target shooting, a fashion statement or self protection they ought to acquaint themselves with the laws regarding that decision. But there should not be any restriction on how you acquire that information - be it an on-line course, a classroom course, or perusing sites like OCDO until you think you know enough.

stay safe.
+1000

ed

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.
That makes no sense at all. If an instructor teaches the student the proper way to do ABC, and later the student violates ABC,why would the instructor need to stick his neck out?
Just because it was TAUGHT does not mean it was received or retained. You could say 1000 times that you can't carry in a post office and the guy does and gets busted. The point being he took a LIVE class with a LIVE instructor (at that point) he is just as busted as he would be if he only took an online course. The online course is not for everyone. Some people take it JUST to whet their appetite to take bigger and better courses. Some already know all THEY need to know but need to just punch their ticket. Some want a permit for a spuse that will never carry except to maybe be in a car with hubby and he steps out (fixed by law on July 1st in VA anyway). So.. to THOSE people, I send them to http://virginiaCHPtraining.com for 39.99.

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
I cringe every time I see the words "online CC permit" and the like.... :(

No need to flame.....
I won't flame but I'll just say I cringe every time I see the words "permit" for something that was/should be/is a right.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Proshooter and Ed -

The problem is that you are both saying that a person needs to/must take a classroomcourse of instruction in order to qualify for a Concealed Handgun Permit. That's like saying that you must attend a state-certified driving school before you are allowed to get a driver's licence - that no other way of learning how to operate a motor vehicle will do.

Tell me, please, how a Hunter Safety class prepares a person for concealed carry, other than a passing reference to two of the hallowed4 RULES? Or how my possession of a DD-214 prepared me for carrying concealed in Virginia? Or how prior possession of a permit/license from another state prepares me?

I am not opposed to training, whether that training is specifically about the laws regarding how and where one may and may not carry concealed in Virginia, or basic handgun safety, or the latest-greatest tactical technique for taking out 20 BGs with one shot. What my point is, is that the person obtaining the permit ought to be responsible for obtaining the information and can/may obtain it in any of a number of ways. Saying classroom instruction is the only way is merely perpetuating your business life as instructors.

As for "Just because it was TAUGHT does not mean it was received or retained." I did not merely say that if the subject was covered in the class - I specifically indicated that the student not only was instructed but was tested to determine if he had in fact received and retained the information. Or is there a suggestion that even if the student was presented with the material, tested to confirm that the information was received and incorporated, and in fact retained (at least long enough to pass the test) does not always equate with the student permanently retaining the information? If so, then why bother teaching it in the first place? [That's a rhetorical question, in case there was any doubt.]

Many folks are of the opinion that each person is responsible for their behavior and ought to accept the consequences of said behavior. In that case a "more responsible" person might seek out qualified instruction via a classroom course of instructionso as to increase the amount of knowledge/information they posses about the awesome undertaking of carrying a handgun concealed from common observation. But a "merely responsible" person might decide that they can obtain a sufficient amount of information without the expense of both time and money involved in taking a classroom course. Or are there really no levels of responsibility - either you are or you are not?

So if you are not going to guarantee that a classroom course of instruction will ensure that the graduate always abides by the law, then admit that it is merely one of several ways for obtaining information, and not the only way to be accepted.

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

skidmark wrote:
The problem is that you are both saying that a person needs to/must take a classroomcourse of instruction in order to qualify for a Concealed Handgun Permit.

I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I dont believe that a classroomcourse of instruction is the only way.

For example -Let's say that someone hascarried aBeretta 9mm ontheir side for 4 years and spent time in the sandbox in combat somewhere in Icantfindthis@#$%holeonamapistan. My feeling is kudos to you for coming home safely, thank you for your service, and here's your CHP application.Please let me know if I can assist you in any way.

My problem is not necessarily with the training people receive that isnt "classroom training" (although I'm not especially thrilled with Hunter Safety, but that is another argument). My issue is with a one houronline course. Having learned a bit about the theory of Adult Learning, I think that online learning has its place with some subjects, but gun safety should not be one. Neither should online training be used for learning how to drive a car, operate a forklift, etc. You want to learn how to draw Snuffy the Elephant? Watch the online course.

If I wanted to "perpetuatemy business life as aninstructor", I would call my web designer in Chesterfield and have an online course on our website in 30 minutes and we'd be making $39 on every one, like all the others. I haven't, and I won't because I think that is a terrible way to learn this topic. I also know that in all the gun forums that I visit, and I visit quite a few every day, I see these online courses mentioned constantly. Do you know why they are mentioned so much? Not because they offer a fantastically convenient training class, but rather the fact that the person pushing it may be getting a commission for every person who signs up (as seen in the OP).

We could argue this until Bessie comes home, but I doubt I will ever change my mind about online gun safety training.

Marco

imported post

nova wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
I cringe every time I see the words "online CC permit" and the like.... :(

No need to flame.....
I won't flame but I'll just say I cringe every time I see the words "permit" for something that was/should be/is a right.
1+
and the mandatory training crap needs to go!!!!!

If I can own a gun I should be able to carry it in whatever fashion I choose without any Gov't interference.
Voluntary training is a good thing but when it is mandatory it iswrong and unconstitutional, imho.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Mandatory training to be able to protect oneself and carry in whatever fashion is comfortable or desired? Will never understand this position. The state has the power to regulate and they have availed themselves accordingly.

Those that want more training will get it and that will be a vast majority of permit holders.

If this same "more training than is now required" thought process is carried to the next level, will those higher training advocates then turn to increased standards for OC? Is it to be a "right" only if certain training qualifications are satisfied?

You cannot advocate one thing for CC and another for OC without getting some of the sticky stuff on you - it is a two lane road.

Yata hey

Glock27Bill

imported post

ed wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.
+1000
Agreed.

I had a permit for quite a while before I got in enough range time to feel that I was ready to carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
ed wrote:
skidmark wrote:

stay safe.
+1000
Agreed.

I had a permit for quite a while before I got in enough range time to feel that I was ready to carry.
It is all about personal responsibility - not mandated jumping through government hoops.

You chose to be responsible. Another may have taken a full, sit down class and come away with nothing more than a piece of paper to lay on the clerk' desk. Still both are entitled to defend themselves - as it should be.

Yata hey