• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Retention Training...

zekester

imported post

I carry my weapon in a Blackhawk Serpa, which I feel is a great retention holster.

I guess my question is, is there someone that provides "retention training" such I am sure the LEO goes through?

If you decide to OC, it is your responsiblity to be sure your weapon will not fall into the BG hands.

Any suggestions or comments?

Z

cshoff

imported post

Just thought I would chime in since my organization was mentioned in this thread. We at Armed Missouri, Inc. do not teach a course that specifically focuses on retention techniques or skills. Since the courses we teach are geared around various aspects of concealed carry, the focus on retention techniques are minimal. I have a couple of acquaintances that provide training in Missouri that I would be happy to recommend for this specific type of training if anyone is interested.

I will also mention that, even for someone who carries concealed, developing some solid retention skills is something that shouldn't be overlooked. Any of us could be subject to a disarming attempt, and even though the statistical probability is quite low that this would happen to an armed citizen, it's something that we have complete control to train for. Anyone who hasn't already, should look to take a good Force on Force class when funds allow. Really puts in perspective what works, and what doesn't.

BTW - Thanks for the plug, guys!

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

There are several interesting videos on YouTube showing different styles of firearm retention. Most are directly aimed toward the style of carry that Leo's use so they translate well to most OC situations. Now you just need a safety gun and and friend or unlucky girlfriend(or wife) to get some practice. Don't blame me for the broken fingers and sprained wrists the attackers(faux or real)will get from your training.

Doc