Thread: which is a better holster, serpa or forbus

Post imported post

whats everyones take on the matter

Post imported post

Don't know Forbus... I have a Serpa and it is the ONLY non-leather holster I like.

Even the paddle is comfortable... and I am not a fan of paddle holsters.

I wear it on my belt for CC and OC alike... and attach it to the Blackhawk thigh-rig for backpacking and hiking.

I wear it about 30% of the time on my waist... the rest is split between a leather belt holster and IWB.

The Serpa on my thigh is the only way I carry when in the woods.

Post imported post

I have both Fobus & Serpa. I prefer the Serpa because of the retention button thingie.

Post imported post

I have a Fobus and a Serpa. It depends on what you are using it for. If it's just to walk around town with, Fobus is fine. If it's for any type of duty use, buy the Serpa. I used one in Iraq, and it will hold your weapon extremely securely, without slowing your draw at all. It takes very little practive with it to get used to hitting the release with your trigger finger during the draw, but the weapon will stay put, running, jumping andclimbing.

Post imported post

I have used a fobus, but I LOVE mySERPA II and highly recommend it. It is my ONLY OWBholster at this time, my reasons for that are simple. I like the retention system and the ability to change the cantinto 3 positionsAND the fact that I can switch from an on the belt style to a paddle style. I might eventually get a leather OWB for when I really have to dress to impress so to speak and want something that looks nice (like for a wedding or something), but my serpa looks just fine and functions the best in my opinion.

Post imported post

I went Fobus crazy when they were the "in" holster. If there is a Serpa II made for my pistol, I will buy it. If not, I contact Serpa and request that they make one.

Then, if not available in Serpa, I go with a Galco thumb break holster. But, I mostly use a different pistol until Serpa makes the holster that I want.

Buy the way, they keep track of every suggestion ( for new holsters) and they review them at board meetings. There, they make the decision about what new holsters they will make.

So, don't sit back and wait; Send an e-mail. I am a Carbon Fiber Serpa paddle fan.

Post imported post

I was just digging around my "leather drawer" and found the last poly-paddle holster I had before my Serpa. It's a Fobus!

If you want a good place to stick yer gun while you carry it the Fobus is fine. Doesn't compare to the Serpa for comfort and stability tho.

Post imported post

For CC, use the Fobus, because you don't need or want level 2 retention, you just want the fastest draw possible after you lift your cover garment. CC retention is keeping it concealed.

For urban OC, a Serpa is the basic minimum level of retention, and in particularly crowded areas I would argue that it isn't even enough.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Serpas are made in the USA, come with belt loops and paddles, and have positive level2 retention, and come in 4 colors.

Fobus is made in Israel., only comes with paddles (or belt loops, but not both), is available in one color, and only has friction retention.

You can either send money to a foreign nation the size of New Jersey that the US government already send more "foreign aid" to than all the African nations combined, or keep your money here in the USA, funding an American-owned company, and keeping American manufacturing jobs going.

The way I look at it, purchases like this are not MERELY a matter of utility. Such purchases are also a matter of the economic security of our Nation.

The choice is yours. Vote with your wallet...

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

Fobus is nice but the Serpa is better IMO.

i use a Fobus for around the farm (G22, P229, J-frame) except for my N-frame and then it's a leather thumbreak.

out "on the town" i use a Serpa (G22, P229) both for the positive retention and the fact that the paddle is much more comfortable.

for the Fobus i cut the toe end of a sock off and slip it over the paddle for comfort while this method is not needed for the Serpa. i think it's the red rubbery stuff on the Fobus paddle that makes it "sticky" and uncomfortable.

to each their own but this is my two cents.

I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Post imported post

I had a Fobus paddle mad holder with that red back. It squeaked unreal. Annoyed the crap out of me. I ditched it.

Post imported post

If you care about security and the safety of your firearm, look at Safariland.

Safariland has better retention systems than Blackhawk serpa. While there are ignorant people who will say "Training matters more than retention," I will say BOTH matter. Police typically use Level III or higher holster PLUS training.

I've always had at least a Level III. My XD .45 holster is Level IV, Safariland 6280 + addon. The holster I use for my Glock 21 is a Safariland Raptor 6070 Level V with the security addons.

If you want to carry concealed, I recommend a holster with at least a button strap. In my opinion, people who carry concealed without a proper retention system are fools. Search the news, you'll see "gun drops", even in places like the polling centers.

Retention matters not only for the security of the firearm, but for those who are also around you.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Centurion

Post imported post

I have both the Fobus standard paddle holster and the Fobus retention paddle holster. The standard paddle (that most are talking about) works very well for open or concealed carry, but I like the retention holster for open carry a bit better. It's release is used much like a thumb break, but isn't at all obvious to someone who is just looking at the holster. I have used the standard paddle Fobus for about 10 years (I don't remember the exact date I got my first Fobus) and the retention holster for about a year.

Banned

Post imported post

I have both a fobus and a serpa Lvl II for my sig sauer
    I keep the serpa on an instructors belt so its on my OC rig
    I keep the sig secured in the fobus retention paddle holster in my desk drawer

Post imported post

I have a Fobus for my Glock that I use when nobody else is around and I don't have to worry about retention I would not use it in any other situation as I do not trust the durability and strength of material.
    Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Post imported post

In cosmetic terms, the Serpa wins, especially if it is my favorite - the carbon fiber version. The Fobus is durable, but every little scratch (even a fingernail) will be permanent.

I like that one can silently draw from the Serpa, if needed. Since this is an OC forum, I would definately choose the Serpa level II holster. It will cost more but it should last a very long time.

Post imported post

I have both Fobus and Serpa holsters. The Fobus holsters tend to ride closer to your body, but a lot of them have waaaaay too much retention. I had to shave off some of the plastic from one of them because it was impossible to draw with one hand.

Post imported post

Fobus for CC

Serpa for OC

Z
    GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

Post imported post

I Love my Serpa! I never knew such holsters existed. I bought my Glock 32 with a friction holster (Uncle Mike's) and figured that there must be a better way to OC. I went to Cabela's and tried EVERY holster style they had and the Serpa was definitely the best and still cost less than the leather ones. And I tried to yank it out severely at the store to see if it was possible... I only succeeded in bruising my ribs and hip After 2 weekends of practice (with an unloaded gun ) I can draw it extremely quickly and I like that my trigger finger ends up where it should until I am ready to fire. Genius design. I would not get anything else for OC.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln

Post imported post

I had a fobus and it did the job just fine. Personally I think all of the plastic holsters are fugly as heck, slightly abrasive on the finish of your gun, not the most comfortable and not as compatible with dressier clothing. Just get leather and be done with it. Save yourself the regret.

Post imported post

Just bought a holster for my dad for Father's Day. Had to go with Fobus, because I couldn't find a Serpa for his Beretta 85FS.

TFred

Post imported post

richarcm wrote:
    I had a fobus and it did the job just fine. Personally I think all of the plastic holsters are fugly as heck, slightly abrasive on the finish of your gun, not the most comfortable and not as compatible with dressier clothing. Just get leather and be done with it. Save yourself the regret.

"slightly abrasive"... unless you own a Glock which has a finish ALMOST as hard as diamonds on the metal and dark plastic on the rest. I have thrown my Glock in the dirt, stomped on it, drowned it, shook the water out and shot it. Zero damage and perfect function (marine cups) My only brand forever now...
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"The problem with Internet quotes is that no one has verified the source" -- Abraham Lincoln