• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

which is a better holster, serpa or forbus

daddy4count

imported post

Don't know Forbus... I have a Serpa and it is the ONLY non-leather holster I like.

Even the paddle is comfortable... and I am not a fan of paddle holsters.

I wear it on my belt for CC and OC alike... and attach it to the Blackhawk thigh-rig for backpacking and hiking.

I wear it about 30% of the time on my waist... the rest is split between a leather belt holster and IWB.

The Serpa on my thigh is the only way I carry when in the woods.

groats

imported post

I have both Fobus & Serpa. I prefer the Serpa because of the retention button thingie.

MSteve

imported post

I have a Fobus and a Serpa. It depends on what you are using it for. If it's just to walk around town with, Fobus is fine. If it's for any type of duty use, buy the Serpa. I used one in Iraq, and it will hold your weapon extremely securely, without slowing your draw at all. It takes very little practive with it to get used to hitting the release with your trigger finger during the draw, but the weapon will stay put, running, jumping andclimbing.

steveinNEPA

imported post

I have used a fobus, but I LOVE mySERPA II and highly recommend it. It is my ONLY OWBholster at this time, my reasons for that are simple. I like the retention system and the ability to change the cantinto 3 positionsAND the fact that I can switch from an on the belt style to a paddle style. I might eventually get a leather OWB for when I really have to dress to impress so to speak and want something that looks nice (like for a wedding or something), but my serpa looks just fine and functions the best in my opinion.

open4years

imported post

I went Fobus crazy when they were the "in" holster. If there is a Serpa II made for my pistol, I will buy it. If not, I contact Serpa and request that they make one.

Then, if not available in Serpa, I go with a Galco thumb break holster. But, I mostly use a different pistol until Serpa makes the holster that I want.

Buy the way, they keep track of every suggestion ( for new holsters) and they review them at board meetings. There, they make the decision about what new holsters they will make.

So, don't sit back and wait; Send an e-mail. I am a Carbon Fiber Serpa paddle fan.

daddy4count

imported post

I was just digging around my "leather drawer" and found the last poly-paddle holster I had before my Serpa. It's a Fobus!

If you want a good place to stick yer gun while you carry it the Fobus is fine. Doesn't compare to the Serpa for comfort and stability tho.

Michigander

imported post

For CC, use the Fobus, because you don't need or want level 2 retention, you just want the fastest draw possible after you lift your cover garment. CC retention is keeping it concealed.

For urban OC, a Serpa is the basic minimum level of retention, and in particularly crowded areas I would argue that it isn't even enough.

Dreamer

imported post

Serpas are made in the USA, come with belt loops and paddles, and have positive level2 retention, and come in 4 colors.

Fobus is made in Israel., only comes with paddles (or belt loops, but not both), is available in one color, and only has friction retention.

You can either send money to a foreign nation the size of New Jersey that the US government already send more "foreign aid" to than all the African nations combined, or keep your money here in the USA, funding an American-owned company, and keeping American manufacturing jobs going.

The way I look at it, purchases like this are not MERELY a matter of utility. Such purchases are also a matter of the economic security of our Nation.

The choice is yours. Vote with your wallet...

Broondog

imported post

Fobus is nice but the Serpa is better IMO.

i use a Fobus for around the farm (G22, P229, J-frame) except for my N-frame and then it's a leather thumbreak.

out "on the town" i use a Serpa (G22, P229) both for the positive retention and the fact that the paddle is much more comfortable.

for the Fobus i cut the toe end of a sock off and slip it over the paddle for comfort while this method is not needed for the Serpa. i think it's the red rubbery stuff on the Fobus paddle that makes it "sticky" and uncomfortable.

to each their own but this is my two cents.

david.ross

imported post

If you care about security and the safety of your firearm, look at Safariland.

Safariland has better retention systems than Blackhawk serpa. While there are ignorant people who will say "Training matters more than retention," I will say BOTH matter. Police typically use Level III or higher holster PLUS training.

I've always had at least a Level III. My XD .45 holster is Level IV, Safariland 6280 + addon. The holster I use for my Glock 21 is a Safariland Raptor 6070 Level V with the security addons.

If you want to carry concealed, I recommend a holster with at least a button strap. In my opinion, people who carry concealed without a proper retention system are fools. Search the news, you'll see "gun drops", even in places like the polling centers.

Retention matters not only for the security of the firearm, but for those who are also around you.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I have both the Fobus standard paddle holster and the Fobus retention paddle holster. The standard paddle (that most are talking about) works very well for open or concealed carry, but I like the retention holster for open carry a bit better. It's release is used much like a thumb break, but isn't at all obvious to someone who is just looking at the holster. I have used the standard paddle Fobus for about 10 years (I don't remember the exact date I got my first Fobus) and the retention holster for about a year.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

I have both a fobus and a serpa Lvl II for my sig sauer
I keep the serpa on an instructors belt so its on my OC rig
I keep the sig secured in the fobus retention paddle holster in my desk drawer

Phoenix David

imported post

I have a Fobus for my Glock that I use when nobody else is around and I don't have to worry about retention I would not use it in any other situation as I do not trust the durability and strength of material.

open4years

imported post

In cosmetic terms, the Serpa wins, especially if it is my favorite - the carbon fiber version. The Fobus is durable, but every little scratch (even a fingernail) will be permanent.

I like that one can silently draw from the Serpa, if needed. Since this is an OC forum, I would definately choose the Serpa level II holster. It will cost more but it should last a very long time.

mercutio545

imported post

I have both Fobus and Serpa holsters. The Fobus holsters tend to ride closer to your body, but a lot of them have waaaaay too much retention. I had to shave off some of the plastic from one of them because it was impossible to draw with one hand.

peterarthur

imported post

I Love my Serpa! I never knew such holsters existed. I bought my Glock 32 with a friction holster (Uncle Mike's) and figured that there must be a better way to OC. I went to Cabela's and tried EVERY holster style they had and the Serpa was definitely the best and still cost less than the leather ones. And I tried to yank it out severely at the store to see if it was possible... I only succeeded in bruising my ribs and hip :) After 2 weekends of practice (with an unloaded gun :) ) I can draw it extremely quickly and I like that my trigger finger ends up where it should until I am ready to fire. Genius design. I would not get anything else for OC.

richarcm

imported post

I had a fobus and it did the job just fine. Personally I think all of the plastic holsters are fugly as heck, slightly abrasive on the finish of your gun, not the most comfortable and not as compatible with dressier clothing. Just get leather and be done with it. Save yourself the regret.

:dude: