• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any recomended places to take a CPL class

the500kid

imported post

Anyone know of a decent place to take a CPL class at or if Open Carry is haveing one in the area again. A guy at work is intrested in getting his.

Beerme

Banned
imported post

the500kid wrote:
Anyone know of a decent place to take a CPL class at or if Open Carry is haveing one in the area again. A guy at work is intrested in getting his.

The guy that teaches outta genos tools and guns did mine.
VERY informative
Did not state opinions as laws
did not say anything about OC being legal
Great instructor
Id recomend him to anyone
class is 125 bucks and you need to shoot 50 rounds of ammo
his name is cedrick
(248) 674-8665

[/b]

Michigander

imported post

I have heard no good things about Action Impact aside from the price of the class. People I have talked to who took that class told me that it lacked almost any legal information, and that instructors were quite rude at times. But that's all hear say, and so long as you're already legally knowledgeable and a good shot, Action Impact might be a decent option since it's cheap.

But here are two things I do know. There was no such thing as a 5 star range until they made that up and called themselves the only one. I also know that their prices on pretty much everything but the classes are sky high. I wouldn't go there personally. :?

Mitchell

imported post

I would check with your local gun club. I took mine at Washtenaw Sportsmans Club. I would not pay over $99.

coffee4meplz

imported post

Took the class today at Action Impact. Here are my thoughts...

Very clean facility!

The Instructor for the class was Leroy Sheppard (CPL, Self Defense class) very knowledgeable in weapons, ammunition and self defense!

The Owner and Lawyer for the class, I think his name is Bill Kucyk. He is a former police officer and now a lawyer gave vague answers during the Q&A on legal issues.

Bill Is also ANTI-OPEN CARRY! I asked about OC in pistol free zones with CPL and he said "NO" I am not allowed to do that.

Other than being Anti-OC the class was pretty good, Leroy Sheppard in my opinion is a great Instructor. He has a very calm personality but you can tell he's not a guy you would want to mess with (Very well trained) ! The class lasted the full 8 hrs and they provided lunch for us. So for $99 I guess I can look past the Anti OC position and the poor legal portion of the class.

I am sure you guys would rip the owner Bill Kucyk for his anti-Oc stance and his lack knowledge of AGopinion on OC in PF zones to allow it with a CPL.

DetroitBiker

imported post

coffee4meplz wrote:
"Bill Is also ANTI-OPEN CARRY! I asked about OC in pistol free zones with CPL and he said "NO" I am not allowed to do that".

"Other than being Anti-OC the class was pretty good"
"So for $99 I guess I can look past the Anti OC position and the poor legal portion of the class."

"I am sure you guys would rip the owner Bill Kucyk for his anti-Oc stance and his lack knowledge of AGopinion on OC in PF zones to allow it with a CPL."
Maybe some people could look past the Anti OC position, Or Lack of Knowledge inMichigan Firearms Laws. But this is a Forum for Open Carry supporters. I myself would not recommend this place for a CPL class. I guess you get what you pay for :?

coffee4meplz

imported post

DetroitBiker wrote:
Maybe some people could look past the Anti OC position, Or Lack of Knowledge inMichigan Firearms Laws. But this is a Forum for Open Carry supporters. I myself would not recommend this place for a CPL class. I guess you get what you pay for :?

This was not a recommendation for the class, It was my experience/opinions of the class. If you want to go to an OC friendly class, this one is not for you. Most of the classes I have seen want $150 and that doesn't include range time! If you want to pay that much or more just to have an OC friendly instructor it's up to you.

Thoughts...I shouldn't have to pay anyone for my rights to bear arms.

Open Carry doesn't require a cost but liberties can be lost if you make a mistake and stumble into a PFZ,shirt becomes untucked or heaven forbid you forget to take it off before you enter a "Vehicle"! So to protect my self from court cost, fines or even jail time I decided to add CPL to my Open Carry options.

Now I don't care if the class is OC friendly or not..After all it's "Conceal Pistol" training class and all lean their view's toward "CC"! Just asthis forum leans their views.What matters to me is cost! I do get what I pay for....It's a shame that I have to pay anything, for my right to bear arms! I should be allowed to carry anyway I want!

So $50 + dollars that I saved will go towards ammo, a new pistol, or a class such as tactical training or self defense. It didn't matter to me their views, I just want my certificate to take to the state to get my CPL.

What really needs to change is the law. These classes and permits cost money so it aimed to keep people away from their right to bear arms.

I hope people don't think these classes make a person a better shooter or even more educated in firearm laws. (After all this class is only 8 hours long ) It is designed to make money and keep those without away from firearms! Trust me, I am sure others will say this to....I saw people in my class that I would be terrified if they pulled a pistol out to shoot! And they still got a certificate! It's just part of the money machine and not about training!

So save your money, go cheap if you just want a cpl certificate.....spend your money on proper training not a CPL certified class

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I understand what you are saying. I think that the opposing veiwpoint is that most students are unlikely to get much follow up info , esp. on the laws, and their technicalities, and because of this, the "get what you pay for" misinformation they received could very well land them in jail.

DetroitBiker

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
I understand what you are saying. I think that the opposing veiwpoint is that most students are unlikely to get much follow up info , esp. on the laws, and their technicalities, and because of this, the "get what you pay for" misinformation they received could very well land them in jail.
This is what I was trying to convey, If a Instructor is not teaching the student the proper "Do`s and Dont`s" or Where and Where not to carry etc..And the student ends up getting jammed up on a charge for carrying in a PFZ.They might even loose their CPL privileges. I bet the class wouldnt seem like such a great deal then.

coffee4meplz

imported post

Noneof the CPL classes teach you every aspect to the law and none ever will! They give you the basic infothat is listed on any brochure or Michigan States website.Only a8 hour classes and being such there is no time to give a person the time and attention it deserves! These classes are like sex! No such thing as bad sex, just some are better than others!

In truth, If you want to OC orCC in the public it is your responsibility to know the laws. Even though each class is supposed to have a lawyer teach the Legal part, those Lawyers will be vague on a lot of the question do to the fact they can't give you a straight answer for legal reasons to protect themselves from a mistake they might tell you.

What is scary is some people that don't know how to handle a gun are passing these classes! Knowing these fools are out there scare me more than some homey on a street corner! Most of the people on the forums seem to have knowledge of firearms, safety and the laws but for those who don't, taking a CPL class is not the way to go! Please take a Beginner's Pistol Class or a Hunter's Safety Class before applying for your CPL. As I said, CPL certification class should be for someone with knowledge of firearms and safety!

If theState needs to require a class for a CPL then it needs to be longer than 8 hours! These classes (if intended for the new to firearms person) need to be 1-2 weeks long! They need to add a test at the end of the class (written) with case scenario's ...If Johnny has his pistol under his coat on xyz property is he legal per statue? To my knowledge, none of these classes require a test!!! Until the state requires Basic Pistol Coarse, Hunter's Safety Coarse or 1-2 week training coarse before you apply for yourCPL, the classis and will remainto bea joke!8 Hours of classwill only give you false sense of protection and legal understanding! It's up to you as an individual to know how to handle a firearm, to know the legalities of carrying that firearm and understandwhen,where, how and why to pull your firearm. Please if you haven't or don't know how to properly handle a firearm don't OC either! Guns don't scare me, it's the idiots that don't know how to handle them do!

Don't count on any CPL class to give you knowledge that will save or ruin your life forever! Read forums, laws, talk with other, shoot and shoot often, practice, know your firearm, practice and then practice some more....Carrying a firearm requires a lot of responsibilities, If you are not ready.......Don't Carry! Open or Concealed!

If you are experienced with a firearm and want to get your CPL then remember the classes are like sex!

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Geez, you sound like a lib.

That said, I want a ban on all CPLs. You can conceal if you want to, A2. But to have a license, and a class requirement is a slippery slope. Why should I have to qualify to use a right. Be then given a permission slip, and by the nature of it, subject my rights to forfeiture? F$#@ that! First its a class, then a course, then some gun fearing anti lawmaker has the SAME idea as you, and now wants a 2 week course, that few are trained to teach, and very few can take the time to complete. Not to mension that the instructor now has to charge a very high rate, because he/she has to make a living. After 2 weeks, it adds up.

coffee4meplz

imported post

lol, you don't read much......that's my whole point! I should have the right to carry any way I want but can't!!!!! I have to have a stupid class that says I am qualified to conceal! This is about taking a class to say you passed so you can CC per government rules. It's not about the class it's about the cash! And lets see, who do you think got the government to put the classes in the bill? Can you say NRA! It's just a cash cow all the way around to keep the poor from getting guns in the first place! I don't think there should be any gun laws other than my right to bear arms!