• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey was just contacted by police!

erich_kopp

imported post

I apologize I just assumed that they were here for sunday I found out my neighbor is a retired officer from 3 years ago, so he called the two officers that were here and told me later what happened. I guess when my neighbor (Immigrant) across the street flagged down a cop hesaid he saw me and said I threatened him with my gun, when he meant to say scared him. So bad part on the sheriff / not officer.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

erich_kopp wrote:
I was carrying at the Farmers Market last sunday and was contacted today by the police they said that I need to conceal it and if I'm carrying it this way, I'm looking for trouble!people who do this are notlaw abiding citizins anddon't need to own any firearms and it's a good way to get locked up. I guess I'm not the only one? I asked what did I do wrong I never pulled, reached, and or even touched my firearm. they said that's not the point, you have a CPL souse it! Or well take it away!

How were you contacted today about an event on Sunday? In person? by phone?

How did they find out about who you are?

The officer is flatly wrong.

acmariner99

imported post

I too find this highly irregular. I've been told by the local PD (Everett) that I am well within my rights to open carry as long as I don't threaten anyone with it. Simple right? Though I was surprised that even with that statement they still chose to see if I was still "legal." Know the law and Carry On!

69Charger

imported post

Sounds a little like intimidation. :X

Dave

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

erich please PM me with the names of the Officer or Officers that contacted you, I have a good rapport with Chief Granato and I am sure this is not his position.

When I first looked into the gun bans in Yakima I was told by an officer that he would cite me for carrying in park and when I tried to discuss them with him he took the attitude of "not wanting to play semantics" lol just happen I was there waiting for the Chief to have a meeting on that very issue.

I found it refreshing Chief Granato is a supporter of the 2nd Amendment and his position about the parks issue at that time is that they could not enforce the city ordinance prohibiting firearms as it was in violation of State Preemption.

I later pursued and had all gun ban ordinances repealed and signage removed with his help and the City Council with an added note now Mayor Micah Cawley assistance of helping push this through.

I still have contact with the Chief from time to time and I would be happy to discuss this with him.

Dave

Aryk45XD

imported post

Definitely harassment and intimidation. Funny that they state it's your right, but still threaten your CPL status. If there was no report or crime, seems like they just don't like you exercising your right and spreading your radical idealisms to the general public.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

The Farmers Market is held on 3rd St between Yakima Ave and Chestnut.

I will try and be in contact with the Chief and discuss the open carry issues and see if any more conflict can be headed off.

Hopefully a training bulletin will arise out of this.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

erich_kopp wrote:
I talked to a police officer at the farmers market and he asked for my name so I gave it to him, we talked about carrying (what I had and what he had) after I left somebody talked to him I guess or he was just being nice to my face. But the two that came to the house were different, I'm not posting their names because I haven't talked to my lawyer about what happened and they said that no complaint was filled so he couldn't give me a case number. But tomorrow I'm going down to that police station to talk to a detective about them coming over and what happened.
Eric skip the detective and call and asked for Chief Granato, I am sure he will see you.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Is there a park near the police station we can have a picnic at? Yakima is fairly central to Washington I bet we can get a fair amount of folks to show up.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

it makes me think, is there a way to record phone calls without having to put your phone on speaker, also do you need to inform them you are recording in Washington.

I ask becasue i think it might be a good idea to record any state employees conversation with you especially in a situation like this.