• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hey was just contacted by police!

j2l3

imported post

I'm sure there is a way to record your calls. Someone will probably chime in with the how-to...

Washington is a two party consent state. This means you BOTH must consent to the recording of a private conversation, even if the other party is a government worker.

As many will tell you, this does NOT apply when it is the police while performing their duties on the street. These conversations are not private.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
I'm sure there is a way to record your calls. Someone will probably chime in with the how-to...

Washington is a two party consent state. This means you BOTH must consent to the recording of a private conversation, even if the other party is a government worker.

As many will tell you, this does NOT apply when it is the police while performing their duties on the street. These conversations are not private.

Good to know thanks,

daddy4count

imported post

Google Voice

Sign up for a new Google Voice phone number, you can set it up to record, store and transcribe every phone call you make and receive.

I'm no lawyer... but in WA only one person in the conversation needs to give permission to record a phone call... since you have your own permission, you're covered.

Lammo

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
it makes me think, is there a way to record phone calls without having to put your phone on speaker, also do you need to inform them you are recording in Washington.

I ask becasue i think it might be a good idea to record any state employees conversation with you especially in a situation like this.
Lot's of devices out there to record without using the speakerphone but you cannot record a private conversation in WA without the consent of all parties. RCW 9.73.030. If you announce that the conversation is being recorded and the conversation continues then consent will be presumed so long as the announcement is also recorded.

j2l3

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
Google Voice

Sign up for a new Google Voice phone number, you can set it up to record, store and transcribe every phone call you make and receive.

I'm no lawyer... but in WA only one person in the conversation needs to give permission to record a phone call... since you have your own permission, you're covered.
In Washington BOTH parties have to give consent. YOU are one, the person on the other end is the other and also must give consent.

Lammo

imported post

daddy4count wrote:
Google Voice

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE. Read RCW 9.73.030. One party consent exists primarily for law enforcement and only in certain circumstances (e.g. with court authorization under RCW 9.73.090, or Lt. and above supervisor authorization in drug cases under RCW 9.73.210). There are other exceptions that prove the rule but WA is definitely NOT a one party consent state.

PS- -IAAL

daddy4count

imported post

in WA without the consent of all parties. RCW 9.73.030.
Thank you for the clarification!

I had to read through the whole thing because I was told the exact opposite. After reading through the exceptions I realize that at the time I was told it was related to "news gathering"

I merely assumed it covered all conversations.

I guess I have some Google Voice conversations to delete... :uhoh:

joeroket

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Hmmm now if it is a public official on public business how does that apply?

That is what Flora v state covered. Since a everything that a public official does or says is public domain, unless it is a pending investigation, all conversations with public officials while acting in official capacity should be OK. Now Flora v State dealt strictly with a LEO so there is still room for court interpretation I think.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Is there a park near the police station we can have a picnic at? Yakima is fairly central to Washington I bet we can get a fair amount of folks to show up.
SVG the Police Station is off of 3rd St and Walnut about 2 blocks from the Farmers Market.
There is no real place to picnic but there are other parks in the area that are real nice if a gathering does get off the ground.

I have not heard from Eric on this issue so I contacted Chief Granato about open carry and provided all the training bulletins for all the cities around Washington kept by NorthWest Citizens Defense League.

He was forward the information to their legal department for review and they are working on it.

I am sure Yakima will be in line with open carry very soon.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

joeroket wrote:

That is what Flora v state covered. Since a everything that a public official does or says is public domain, unless it is a pending investigation, all conversations with public officials while acting in official capacity should be OK. Now Flora v State dealt strictly with a LEO so there is still room for court interpretation I think.
That's what I was thinking. Except for the pending investigation part I didn't think about that. Interesting.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

50 states on "Taping"

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

Washington
All parties generally must consent to the interception or recording of any private communication, whether conducted by telephone, telegraph, radio or face-to-face, to comply with state law. Wash. Rev. Code § 9.73.030. The all-party consent requirement can be satisfied if “one party has announced to all other parties engaged in the communication or conversation, in any reasonably effective manner, that such communication or conversation is about to be recorded or transmitted.” In addition, if the conversation is to be recorded, the requisite announcement must be recorded as well. Wash. Rev. Code § 9.73.030.
A party is determined to have consented to recording if he is aware that the recording is taking place. Washington v. Modica, 149 P.3d 446 (Wash. Ct. App. 2006).
Consent to recording of real-time conversation using online discussion software is implicit because participants know the conversations will be recorded on the other party’s computer. Washington v. Townsend, 20 P.3d 1027 (Wash. Ct. App. 2001).
Moreover, an employee of a news organization engaged in newsgathering is deemed to have the requisite consent to record and divulge the contents of conversations “if the consent is expressly given or if the recording or transmitting device is readily apparent or obvious to the speakers.” Wash. Rev. Code § 0.73.030(4). Anyone speaking to an employee of a news organization who has been deemed to have given consent cannot withdraw that consent after the communication has been made. Wash. Rev. Code § 0.73.030(4).
Statutory liability exists only for nonconsensual recording or intercepting, not divulging, of private conversations. Kearney v. Kearney. 974 P.2d 872 (Wash. Ct. App. 1999). The statutory terms “record” and “intercept” do not encompass the meaning of divulge.
Whether a communication is considered “private” under the statute depends on the factual circumstances. Washington v. Townsend, 57 P.2d 255 (Wash. 2002). The state Supreme Court has identified three factors bearing on the reasonable expectations and intent of the parties: (1) duration and subject matter of the conversation, (2) location of conversation and presence or potential presence of a third party, and (3) role of the non-consenting party and his or her relationship to the consenting party. Lewis v. State Dept. of Licensing, 139 P.3d 1078 (Wash. 2006).

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
Hopefully a training bulletin will arise out of this.
Push for a training bulletin to come from this..... Get them to look at the other cities that have training bulletins and how much lesser the issue of Open Carry has been for them.

All the current training bulletins:
http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1
That is the link I sent to them as it provides a well put together list.

Thanks for keeping it up to date, it comes in handy.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
There is also a 'chat' room there, but nobody goes on it...
Yeah like that is all I need is for someone wanting to argue live with me :shock::lol::cool: or should I say another way to argue lol

TechnoWeenie

imported post

joeroket wrote:

NO, NO and NO!

The recording happened IN PUBLIC, there is NOTHING to say that 'any public official is fair game'...

The courts simply stated that they would NOT interpret it as a sword to be used against the law abiding citizen to record what they can normally do so, IN PUBLIC.

READ the entire court case..

I'm tired of reading this same thing....

The law has to do with THE EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY. Just because a person is a public official does not mean they have no expectation of privacy!

joeroket

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
joeroket wrote:

NO, NO and NO!

The recording happened IN PUBLIC, there is NOTHING to say that 'any public official is fair game'...

The courts simply stated that they would NOT interpret it as a sword to be used against the law abiding citizen to record what they can normally do so, IN PUBLIC.

The law has to do with THE EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY. Just because a person is a public official does not mean they have no expectation of privacy!

Well it will keep happening until you read it right. Until you KNOW what you are talking about, shut the hell up.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

joeroket wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
joeroket wrote:

NO, NO and NO!

Well it will keep happening until you read it right. Until you KNOW what you are talking about, shut the hell up.

Really? Show me in any court case where public officials have no expectation of privacy, and I will shut up.

Won't find it.

You'll find that their paperwork is able to be requested, court transcripts, etc.. BUT THEY STILL HAVE AN EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY IN CERTAIN COMMUNICATIONS.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

pcorn1.gif