• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GW Parkway-Gun Trap

swinokur

Activist Member
imported post

W.E.G. wrote:
While the mentioned area is without a doubt DC territory, I can say I have NEVER seen, nor am I aware of, a DC Scout Car engaged in police operations on the GW Parkway.

All police matters on the Parkway are handled by US Park Police.
They have concurrent police jurisdiction with DC and Virginia anyway.

Arlington County Fire Department has first due fire and EMS responsibility in that area.

Metropolitan Police "harbor patrol" unit handles police matters on the water in that area.
DC Fire is first due to any fire ems or fire incident including the Marina. I worked for te DCFD for many years and my Engine Company in Foggy Bottom was "first due" to Columbia Island. Arlington is not responsible for the Island, DC is unless mutual aid is now in place.

Tomahawk

imported post

If you want to take your chances carrying through this area, that's up to you. But at least now you've got the info. You know what can happen to you if you get stopped for speeding or get into an accident on this road while carrying, so it's up to you to make an informed decision.

I wouldn't be telling anyone, "There's nothing to worry about," though. My concern would be if the USPP decide someday this would be a good place to start sticking it to Virginia gun owners, especially if the powers-that-be tell them to do it for political reasons. That's why it's called the Columbia Island Gun Trap.

Just use your noodle and take care.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I heard anecdotal evidence that someone has already been busted on Columbia Island for illegal carry, so I'm fairly convinced that this issue is in play.

cirrusly

I just wanted to bump this thread, I've noticed it is several years old, but still very relevant.

I drive the GW parkway regularly usually under the cover of FOPA, as the jurisdiction does vary. When driving the parkway I have seen first-hand:

-US Park Police is the responding PD force.
-Washington DC is responding EMS.

I am weary of OCing there for several reasons:

-Jurisdictions are confusing, and it would be easy to unintentionally wander into DC.
-I doubt Park Police are fully adept in Virginia carry laws. I would wager there would be minimally some degree of unlawful detainment, if not worse, if there were an interaction.

However, I do agree with the assessment that the Park Police is not patrolling with intent of stopping drivers for traffic violations. I've never seen Park Police performing a traffic stop. Rather I've only witnessed them responding to emergency situations or parked on one of the scenic overlooks. Given the lanes are narrow with minimum shoulders, I think they are there with the intent of ensuring people get through the parkway without incident/accident.

CT Barfly

Go ahead and get pulled over for speeding...disclose the presence of a firearm to the USPP...and wait while DC police respond to arrest you.

There's no rule saying they can't cooperate with each other if they want to.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Go ahead and get pulled over for speeding...disclose the presence of a firearm to the USPP...and wait while DC police respond to arrest you.

There's no rule saying they can't cooperate with each other if they want to.

This^^.

FOPA is an affirmative defense, not an immunity. Just ask the folks at the NJ & NY airports why they decided to take a misdemeanor hit + confiscation of their firearm(s) rather than come back with an attorney licensed to practic there.

But we have gone over this time and time again. It's probably good for the new folks but IMHO they ought to learn how to use the enhanced search function to find stuff.

stay safe.

cirrusly

This^^.

FOPA is an affirmative defense, not an immunity. Just ask the folks at the NJ & NY airports why they decided to take a misdemeanor hit + confiscation of their firearm(s) rather than come back with an attorney licensed to practic there.

But we have gone over this time and time again. It's probably good for the new folks but IMHO they ought to learn how to use the enhanced search function to find stuff.

stay safe.

No kidding. I'm well-aware that FOPA is an affirmative defense. And yes- DC police will arrest regardless of FOPA. Emily Miller posted an article citing several instances of this awhile back.

This isn't my first rodeo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cirrusly

It would be interesting to see if USPP would call Arlington or DC Metro police for a firearm-related stop if it was in the GW Parkway on the Virginia side. Definitely do not want to be the test case though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk