Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Let's Start A Barrage

  1. #1
    Regular Member AL Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    We've seen what we can do when we work together. Dianosis' example proved the power of protest and the strength of the masses. Instead of just going from county to county or police chief to police chief, let's use our collective power to reach Montgomery. Politicians figure that for each letter, email or phone call they receive there are actually a hundred or more who feel the same way but haven't written, emailed or called. By sending hundreds, they will think thousands. We need to change the bad laws that are on the books now. Re-educating LEOs about OC under the current laws is probably harder than getting the laws changed. Somehow, someway, there was someone who got the word to the legislators and they changed the laws about short-barreled rifles and shotguns. We now have to get the word out so the law can be changed to fit the truth of Open Carry in this state. There is a pro-gun movement going on in the country right now. Alabama changed its law on short-barreled weapons. Obama signed a law allowing weapons carry in national parks. The Heller decision in the Supreme Court allows residents in DC to have weapons for self-defense and they are now working on Chicago. The Open Carry movement is sweeping the country in over 40 states with Texas trying to get it through their state legislature.

    Things have never been so pro-gun in the country right now on the legal front. Gun laws for carry and ownership are being relaxed all over the country and we need to build on this wave and ride it to remove or revise the bad laws we have on our books. We can actually get the goals of this site made law if we get together and press this on the lawmakers in Montgomery.

    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

  2. #2
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    We need a list of contact information for everyone we need to call, email, and send letters to about these laws. Not everyone is very aware of their reps and how to contact them.

  3. #3
    Regular Member AL Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    Hollowpoint38 wrote:
    We need a list of contact information for everyone we need to call, email, and send letters to about these laws. Not everyone is very aware of their reps and how to contact them.


    ALABAMA HOUSE/ ALABAMA SENATE
    11 South Union Street
    Montgomery, Alabama 36130
    (334)242-7800



    ALABAMA LEGISLATORS
    ALABAMA HOUSE

    ALLEN, Gerald (R) 62 531 334-242-7758
    BAKER, Alan (R) 66 538-A 334-242-7720
    BAKER, Locy "Sonny" (D) 85 522-D 334-242-7683
    BALL, Mike (R) 10 625-C 334-242-7683
    BANDY, George C. (D) 83 529 334-242-7721
    BARTON, Jim (R) 104 526-E 334-242-7754
    BEASLEY, Billy (D) 84 625-A 334-242-7686
    BEECH, Elaine (D) 65 540-B 334-242-7600
    BENTLEY, Robert (R) 63 537-D 334-242-7691
    BLACK, Marcel. (D) 3 516-C 334-242-7667
    BOOTHE, Alan C. (D) 89 627-A 334-242-7710
    BOYD, Barbara B. (D) 32 537-E 334-242-7692
    BRIDGES, Duwayne (R) 38 120 334-242-7708
    BROWN, K.L. (R) 40 524-B 334-242-7600
    BUSKEY, James E. (D) 99 540-C 334-242-7757
    CANFIELD, Greg (R) 48 628-E 334-242-7763
    CLOUSE, Steve (R) 93 526-A 334-242-7717
    COLEMAN, Merika (D) 57 208 334-242-7755
    COLLIER, Spencer (R) 105 630-A 334-242-7719
    CURTIS, Mike (D) 2 528-D 334-242-7725
    DAVIS, Randy (R) 96 538-B 334-242-7724
    DeMARCO, Paul (R) 46 537-F 334-242-7740
    DRAKE, Owen (R) 45 528-B 334-242-7727
    DUKES, Bill J. (D) 8 523-A 334-242-7689
    ENGLAND, Chris (D) 70 539-B 334-242-7703
    FAUST, Joe (R) 94 630-D 334-242-7699
    FIELDS, James Jr. (D) 12 536-D 334-242-7600
    FINCHER, Chad (R) 102 528-A 334-242-7778
    FORD, Craig (D) 28 517-F 334-242-7690
    GALLIHER, Blaine (R) 30 628-C 334-242-7760
    GASTON, Victor (R) 100 526-C 334-242-7675
    GIPSON, H. Mac Jr. (R) 88 534-C 334-242-7695
    GORDON, James (D) 98 522-C 334-242-7772
    GRAHAM, Betty Carol (D) 81 526-F 334-242-7741
    GRANTLAND, Ronald (D) 9 524-A 334-242-7736
    GREESON, Todd (R) 24 626 334-242-7743
    GRIMES, David (R) 73 537-A 334-242-7707
    GUIN, Ken (D) 14 519-C 334-242-7674
    HALL, Laura (D) 19 517-D 334-242-7688
    HAMMETT, Seth (D) 92 519 334-242-7668
    HAMMON, Micky (R) 4 523-B 334-242-7709
    HARPER, Alan (D) 61 538-C 334-242-7732
    HILL, Mike (R) 41 628-D 334-242-7715
    HILLIARD, Earl Jr. (D) 60 539-A 334-242-7684
    HINSHAW, Randy (D) 21 535 334-242-7733
    HOLMES, Alvin (D) 78 525-A 334-242-7706
    HOWARD, Ralph (D) 72 527-D 334-242-7759
    HUBBARD, Mike (R) 79 536-A 334-242-7739
    HURST, Steve (D) 35 627-C 334-353-9215
    IRONS, Tammy (D) 1 522-E 334-353-9032
    ISON, Jamie (R) 101 527-B 334-242-7711
    JACKSON, Thomas E. (D) 68 218 334-242-7738
    JOHNSON, Ronald G. (R) 33 627-D 334-242-7777
    KENNEDY, Yvonne (D) 97 537-C 334-242-7737
    KNIGHT, John F. (D) 77 516-A 334-242-7660
    LAIRD, Richard J. (D) 37 120 334-242-7744
    LETSON, John "Jody" (D) 7 541-A 334-242-7767
    LEWIS, Benjamin (R) 86 540-A 334-242-7756
    LINDSEY, Richard J. (D) 39 514 334-242-7713
    LOVE, Jay (R) 74 527-A 334-242-7716
    MARTIN, James M. "Jimmy" (D) 42 220-B 334-242-7714
    MASK, Barry (R) 31 524-D 334-242-7782
    MCADORY, Lawrence (D) 56 539-C 334-242-7595
    McCAMPBELL, A.J. (D) 71 539-F 334-242-7747
    McCLAMMY, Thad (D) 76 206 334-242-7780
    McCLENDON, Jim (R) 50 628-A 334-242-7749
    McCLURKIN, Mary Sue (R) 43 120 334-242-7682
    McCUTCHEON, Mac (R) 25 524-E 334-242-7705
    McDANIEL, W. Frank (D) 26 219-A 334-242-7697
    McLAUGHLIN, Jeff (D) 27 517-E 334-242-7765
    McMILLAN, Steve (R) 95 532 334-242-7723
    MILLICAN, Mike (D) 17 128 334-242-7768
    MITCHELL, Joseph C. (D) 103 517-A 334-242-7735
    MOORE, Mary (D) 59 539-D 334-242-7608
    MOORE, Pat (R) 15 522-B 334-242-7775
    MORROW, Johnny M. (D) 18 628-B 334-242-7698
    NEWTON, Charles O. (D) 90 541-E 334-242-4460
    NEWTON, Demetrius C. (D) 53 516-B 334-242-7664
    ODEN, Jeremy H. (R) 11 537-B 334-242-7722
    PAGE, Jack G. (D) 29 630-E 334-242-7742
    PAYNE, Arthur (R) 44 627-B 334-242-7753
    ROBINSON, John (D) 23 534-D 334-242-7728
    ROBINSON, Oliver (D) 58 534-B 334-242-7769
    ROGERS, John W. Jr. (D) 52 226 334-242-7761
    SALAAM, Yusuf (D) 67 208 334-242-7746
    SANDERFORD, Howard (R) 20 524-F 334-242-4368
    SCOTT, Rod (D) 55 120 334-242-7752
    SHERER, Tommy (D) 13 522-A 334-242-7694
    SHIVER, Harry (R) 64 526-D 334-242-7745
    SPICER, Terry (D) 91 630-B 334-242-7773
    TAYLOR, Butch (D) 22 524-C 334-242-7600
    THIGPEN, William E. Sr. (D) 16 538-D 334-242-7766
    THOMAS, Elwyn (R) 34 541-B 334-242-7762
    THOMAS, James L. (D) 69 525-B 334-242-7701
    TODD, Patricia (D) 54 541-C 334-242-7718
    TREADAWAY, Allen (R) 51 528-C 334-242-7685
    VANCE, Lesley (D) 80 220-A 334-242-7687
    WARD, Cam (R) 49 628-F 334-242-7750
    WARREN, Pebblin (D) 82 517-C 334-242-7734
    WHITE, Henry (D) 5 528-E 334-242-7712
    WILLIAMS, Jack (R) 47 526-B 334-242-7779
    WILLIAMS, Phil
    (R) 6 536-C 334-242-7600
    WOOD, Randy (R) 36 120 334-242-7700
    WREN, Greg (R) 75 517-B 334-242-7764
    VACANT SEAT


    ALABAMA SENATE

    Senator Party District Room # Office Phone
    BARRON, Lowell (D) 8 729-B 334-242-7858
    BEASON, Scott (R) 17 737-B 334-242-7794
    BEDFORD, Roger (D) 6 730-B 334-242-7862
    BENEFIELD, Kim (D) 13 729-C 334-242-7874
    BISHOP, Charles (R) 5 733-D 334-242-7894
    BROOKS, Ben (R) 35 735-A 334-242-7882
    BUTLER, Tom (D) 2 733-C 334-242-7854
    COLEMAN, Linda (D) 20 732 334-242-7864
    DENTON, Bobby (D) 1 719 334-242-7888
    DIXON, Larry (R) 25 737-D 334-242-7895
    DUNN, Priscilla (D) 19 729 334-242-7793
    ERWIN, Henry E. "Hank (R) 14 738-A 334-242-7873
    FIGURES, Vivian Davis (D) 33 736-A 334-242-7871
    FRENCH, Steve (R) 15 733-A 334-242-7851
    GLOVER, Rusty (R) 34 735-B 334-242-7886
    HOLLEY, Jimmy (R) 31 731-C 334-242-7845
    KEAHEY, Marc (D) 22 731 334-242-7843
    LITTLE, T.D. "Ted" (D) 27 740 334-242-7865
    LITTLE, Zeb (D) 4 721 334-242-7855
    MARSH, Del (R) 12 735-D 334-242-7877
    MEANS, Larry (D) 10 731-A 334-242-7857
    MITCHELL, Wendell (D) 30 726-B 334-242-7883
    MITCHEM, Hinton (D) 9 726-A 334-242-7876
    ORR, Arthur (R) 3 737-A 334-242-7891
    PENN, Myron (D) 28 734-B 334-242-7868
    PITTMAN, Trip (R) 32 738-B 334-242-7897
    POOLE, Phil (D) 21 736-B 334-242-7889
    PREUITT, Jim (R) 11 733-B 334-242-7898
    ROSS, Quinton T., Jr. (D) 26 734-A 334-242-7880
    SANDERS, Hank (D) 23 730-A 334-242-7860
    SANFORD, Paul (R) 7 731 334-242-7867
    SINGLETON, Bobby (D) 24 732-B 334-242-7935
    SMITH, Harri Anne (R) 29 735-C 334-242-7879
    SMITHERMAN, Rodger (D) 18 722 334-242-7870
    WAGGONER, J. T. "Jabo" (R) 16 737-C 334-242-7892


    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

  4. #4
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    um... holy flamethrowers... that's a lot of phone numbers. Sounds like a busy day...

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    To be effective, we need to focus our efforts on one or two clearly defined goals. I suggest that one of them be the repeal of -52, removing the excuse that some LEOs use for saying that they are confused about the legality of OC.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    eye95 wrote:
    To be effective, we need to focus our efforts on one or two clearly defined goals. I suggest that one of them be the repeal of -52, removing the excuse that some LEOs use for saying that they are confused about the legality of OC.
    For what grounds do we want it repealed? Other than LEO confusion, why would they do that? I don't think confusion is a good enough reason as they seem to write the laws in confusing laws on purpose.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    LEO confusion is the precise reason it needs to be repealed. It serves no purpose. Even if someone could find an action that violates -52 (I can't, for the life of me, think of one), there is no penalty under law for violating that section.

    So, the only thing that its presence accomplishes is fomenting confusion--allowing injustices such as experienced by Diagnosis. If clouding the law is the only effect -52 has, it needs to go.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    I'm up for it. Do we have to call everyone of those people above? Someone needs to find the email addresses so we can do massive emails at once. Seriously....

  9. #9
    Regular Member AL Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    Call, email and write. I have a form letter all ready typed out. My copy is actually 4 pages. I have a box of envelopes and it'll cost about $30 in stamps. The reason is they don't remember names and the more we can hit them with, the better. If we get lazy with this, we don't deserve to have our rights because we're not willing to fight for them.
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

  10. #10
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    Do we send all these letters to that montgomery address and just put the different names on each one?

    Also, do you have a letter already written we can use or should we all write a different one? It would work either way... what do you think?

  11. #11
    Regular Member AL Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    Hollowpoint38 wrote:
    Do we send all these letters to that montgomery address and just put the different names on each one?

    Also, do you have a letter already written we can use or should we all write a different one? It would work either way... what do you think?
    The senators and reps are in the same building, same address just different room numbers. I have a letter written but its four pages because I'm trying to get some information out to them..
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

  12. #12
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    are those the room numbers above? If so which one's? 2 or 3 digit numbers?

  13. #13
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786

    Post imported post

    The room numbers are the ones that are like 628-F or whatever. The number right before that is the District.
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

  14. #14
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    Awesome! COMENSE LETTER BARAGE!

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    Absent a common and targeted goal of this letter-writing campaign, we will not be taken seriously. The reaction will be: So, what exactly do you want us to do? Make friendlier gun laws? How? What's the problem? We have friendly gun laws already.

    Before any letter-writing campaign begins, we need to have a consensus on what the letters will ask for. The letters we each write don't have to be (and shouldn't be) the same, but they should all have the same narrowly-tailored goal.

    What should that goal be?

  16. #16
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    Yeah. I'm writing one right now and I'll post it when I'm done.



    Eye ~ Having a little trouble writing the last bit of this. Why exactly do we want the -52 removed? What's a better way to word it?

    Also, here is what I am writing about:

    1 ~ CCP needed for car

    2 ~ Public demonstration law

    3 ~ Repealing -52

    Anything I am forgetting?

  17. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairborn, Ohio, USA
    Posts
    13,063

    Post imported post

    I would say that going after three goals is not narrowly-tailored enough. I think we have a better shot asking for one thing at a time.

    The problem with -52 is that it is legally useless. However, its presence promotes unlawful acts by LEOs such as were suffered by Diagnosis. If it is gone, there is no question but that OC is legal.

    Without -52, legal action against rogue LEOs will be easier and more likely to be successful. As it stands now, LEOs, when proven wrong, can avoid responsibility for their actions by saying that -52 confuses the issue.

    For an example of someone misusing -52 to claim that the law is fuzzy and that we can't hold LEOs responsible for harassing OCers because of the fuzziness, just reread Bird Dog's posts.

    Your post hits the top three priorities. I believe we will be better served taking one at a time. Logically -52 repeal should be first. It is the code problem we bump into the most and the one most likely to cause an OCer to spend some time in custody--unlawfully.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    ok. That helps. thanks. I agree that one issue at a time might help, but I think a detailed letter pointing each one would be more appropriate right now. (In my opinion)

    Maybe they'll fix it all. If they don't, a redirect for each issue will be needed. I may be wrong though.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post


    This is what I'm going to send. If I should change something, yall let me know!

    Eye95 ~ I stole your -52 reasoning. Hope you don't mind. You nailed it for me. LOL



    Hello. My name is Tim Brand. I'm a member of Alabama Open Carry and OpenCarry.org. We are citizens who Open Carry a firearm through our daily life and push to maintain that right. We have found a few problems with the current gun laws in Alabama.

    The first problem: We need a concealed carry permit to carry a weapon in a car, even if we open carry, because the gun is considered concealed in the car. Under the Alabama Castle Doctrine, my car is an extension of my home. My car is my own property. I do not need a permit to conceal a weapon at my house or on my property so why is my car any different? It shouldn't be and it needs to be changed. The laws in place make such a permit requirement unlawful and I ask that something be done about it.

    The second problem: Under the United States Constitution and the Alabama Constitution, I have the right to peacefully protest. I also have the right to carry a weapon for defense of myself and others. The "Public Demonstration Law" of Alabama says I may not have a weapon at any public gathering which may draw attention. This law conflicts with the United States Constitution and must be removed. Laws may not conflict with each other and this is what is happening.

     

    The third problem: 13a-11-52 should be repealed. The problem with -52 is that it is legally useless. It's presence promotes unlawful acts by Law Enforcement Officers and recent events have proven that. Law Enforcement Officers have admitted and proved their confusion with this law. As -52 stands, Law Enforcement Officers can avoid responsibility for their actions by saying that -52 confused the issue when they are proven wrong. The harassment of law abiding citizens must stop and this useless law must be removed in order to achieve that goal.


     

    I will remind you that criminals do not follow the law. That is what made them criminals in the first place. These illegal laws do not stop the criminal element from carrying a weapon. These laws only stop legal law abiding citizens from protecting themselves and violate our rights under the Constitution. I respectfully ask that these issues be dealt with in a timely manner before another citizen is harassed by law enforcement. (( If I appears as if I have spoken negatively toward law enforcement, I am referring to them being confused and uneducated about laws and do not have an unspoken dislike for law enforcement.)) Thank you for your time.



    -Timothy Brand







  20. #20
    Regular Member AL Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    You may want to hold off on mailing those letters for just a few weeeks. The elections will over by then. There may be new names on this list and the politicians right now aren't presenting any new business on the floor. But, we can use this time to get things set up for the new seesions and have the letter written, the email addresses gathered, etc. Then we can hit them with everything we have. Hopefully, we will find some pro-gun champions who will want to stand up and make the changes we need.
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

  21. #21
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    Works for me! Where do we get the emails? What is the website?

  22. #22
    Regular Member AL Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    This is my 2 page letter going to the State Legislators.

    Many of us in the gun-owning community are looking for some pro-gun, pro-civil rights legislators to come to our aid and make some changes in the current gun laws. There are really only two problems with the current laws that cause us concern. These two laws are in the criminal code: 13A-11-52 and 13A-11-73.

    13A-11-52 reads: “Except as otherwise provided in this article, no person shall carry a pistol about his person on premises not his own or under his control; but this section shall not apply to any sheriff or his deputy or police officer of an incorporated town or city in the lawful discharge of the duties of his office, or to United States marshal or his deputies, rural free delivery mail carriers in the discharge of their duties as such, bonded constables in the discharge of their duties as such, conductors, railway mail clerks and express messengers in the discharge of their duties.”

    13A-11-73 reads: “
    No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as hereinafter provided.”

    Both of these laws have been changed and re-written several times which shows the problems they have had. They are simply bad laws and need to be repealed. Here are the reasons why.

    First, in -52, the section “no person shall carry a pistol about his person on premises not his own or under his control” is a lie and a violation of the State Constitution.

    Alabama has always recognized the right of a citizen to carry guns (pistol, rifle, shotgun) for self-defense or defense of the state. A pistol is the easiest and most common weapon used for this purpose, as our police, deputies and troopers all carry pistols.

    Alabama has been an Open Carry state since it was founded. Our laws, Supreme Court rulings, Attorneys General opinions, etc. all prove the recognized right of a citizen to openly carry a pistol for any lawful purpose. This law above could be applied to make hunting and target practice with a pistol illegal unless on your own property. Meaning you could be arrested for taking your pistol to a gun range for target practice.

    This section, if read carefully, is actually to authorize those listed as exceptions to carry firearms onto private property in the performance of their jobs. The phrase “discharge of their duties” is used four times to prove just that.

    Second, in -73, the original law stated “no person shall carry a “concealed” pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person…”. This law has several problems.

    1. If you have gun, it must be carried in the trunk if you are unlicensed. For those of us who carry openly unlicensed, this means that every time we get in to the car we first have to remove the pistol from the holster, place the pistol in the trunk and when we arrive at our destination, retrieve the pistol and re-holster it. If you have several stops to make, this is a major inconvenience…unless you have a license.

    2. This law does not let you protect yourself in a car with a pistol which violates the recently passed law commonly referred to as the Castle Doctrine…unless you have a license.

    3. The law makes no distinction as to whether carrying in the trunk of a car is considered to be concealed or not. This has been the topic of discussion in the forums of many pro-gun websites.

    4. This law makes no distinction between “covering” or “concealed”. Covering a gun was commonly practiced whenever the gun owner threw on a jacket, or when it was windy, rainy or cold outside. Concealing was the intentional hiding a gun as an act of deception - to appear unarmed. Covering shouldn’t be defined as “concealing”.

    5. Carrying a gun, openly, is already a recognized right which is unlicensed. A license does not permit you to carry, it permits you to “cover” a gun you can already legally carry and/or to have it with you in a vehicle.

    6. This law ONLY applies to pistols, not to rifles or shotguns. And since Alabama just passed the repeal on short-barrel rifles and shotguns, this law doesn’t apply to those weapons, either! Which means we can carry loads of weapons in our cars, we just can’t carry a pistol…where is the logic in that?

    The history of the licensing of pistols goes back to the “black codes” when former slaves had to prove they were “good nig***s” before they could receive a license to carry a gun and not get beaten, which was the punishment for armed blacks after the War. The reason for licenses today has nothing to do with crime, because criminals don’t bother to get licenses. Licenses were created by “hoplophobes” (someone with a fear of weapons or armed citizens) to feel better about their fellow man. They think “if someone has a license that means they have been checked out and are “good nig***s, er, I mean, good people!” This means that licensing (background checks and fees) is actually a violation of our civil rights. Try explaining to any black gun owner in this state that they have to obey the same licensing laws their ancestors were forced to obey after they got their freedom.

    These laws should be repealed as they are simply bad law and their constant revisions are proof of that. A license to carry “covered” what you can already carry “uncovered” is asinine. A citizen must have a “background check” and “purchase an annual license” to throw his jacket over his gun or have it with him in his car? I don’t need a background check to carry openly because the State recognizes that my self-defense is none of their business. But, according to the law, I can have a gun in my car, for self-protection, according to the Castle Doctrine…only if I pass their background check and pay a fee and renew it every year. Or, better yet, explain to the black gun owners of this state that, like their ancestors, they have to prove they are “good nig***s” before they can carry concealed or in their car.

    Alabama gun owners should not be harassed or made to be criminals by the laws of the state as they go about their daily lives. However, at the present time, this is not the case. These laws on the books that are poorly written, have been changed multiple times because of this, and due to the ignorance or overzealousness of some in law-enforcement, have made citizens into criminals. These laws violate the Alabama Constitution, the US Constitution and they are violations of our civil rights. Just for these reasons alone, these laws should be repealed and stricken from the books.

    We are hoping you can help us by coming to our aid to get this matter resolved. This letter is being sent to every member of the state house and senate in the hopes that one or more members will have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and do the right thing for the law-abiding citizens and gun-owners in the state.

    In advance, I’d like to thank you for picking up this cause to restore our basic human and civil rights, as outlined in the Alabama Constitution and the US Constitution.

    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

  23. #23
    Regular Member Hollowpoint38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
    Posts
    387

    Post imported post

    AL Ranger wrote:
    This is my 2 page letter going to the State Legislators.

    Many of us in the gun-owning community are looking for some pro-gun, pro-civil rights legislators to come to our aid and make some changes in the current gun laws. There are really only two problems with the current laws that cause us concern. These two laws are in the criminal code: 13A-11-52 and 13A-11-73.

    13A-11-52 reads: “Except as otherwise provided in this article, no person shall carry a pistol about his person on premises not his own or under his control; but this section shall not apply to any sheriff or his deputy or police officer of an incorporated town or city in the lawful discharge of the duties of his office, or to United States marshal or his deputies, rural free delivery mail carriers in the discharge of their duties as such, bonded constables in the discharge of their duties as such, conductors, railway mail clerks and express messengers in the discharge of their duties.”

    13A-11-73 reads: “
    No person shall carry a pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person, except on his land, in his own abode or fixed place of business, without a license therefor as hereinafter provided.”

    Both of these laws have been changed and re-written several times which shows the problems they have had. They are simply bad laws and need to be repealed. Here are the reasons why.

    First, in -52, the section “no person shall carry a pistol about his person on premises not his own or under his control” is a lie and a violation of the State Constitution.

    Alabama has always recognized the right of a citizen to carry guns (pistol, rifle, shotgun) for self-defense or defense of the state. A pistol is the easiest and most common weapon used for this purpose, as our police, deputies and troopers all carry pistols.

    Alabama has been an Open Carry state since it was founded. Our laws, Supreme Court rulings, Attorneys General opinions, etc. all prove the recognized right of a citizen to openly carry a pistol for any lawful purpose. This law above could be applied to make hunting and target practice with a pistol illegal unless on your own property. Meaning you could be arrested for taking your pistol to a gun range for target practice.

    This section, if read carefully, is actually to authorize those listed as exceptions to carry firearms onto private property in the performance of their jobs. The phrase “discharge of their duties” is used four times to prove just that.

    Second, in -73, the original law stated “no person shall carry a “concealed” pistol in any vehicle or concealed on or about his person…”. This law has several problems.

    1. If you have gun, it must be carried in the trunk if you are unlicensed. For those of us who carry openly unlicensed, this means that every time we get in to the car we first have to remove the pistol from the holster, place the pistol in the trunk and when we arrive at our destination, retrieve the pistol and re-holster it. If you have several stops to make, this is a major inconvenience…unless you have a license.

    2. This law does not let you protect yourself in a car with a pistol which violates the recently passed law commonly referred to as the Castle Doctrine…unless you have a license.

    3. The law makes no distinction as to whether carrying in the trunk of a car is considered to be concealed or not. This has been the topic of discussion in the forums of many pro-gun websites.

    4. This law makes no distinction between “covering” or “concealed”. Covering a gun was commonly practiced whenever the gun owner threw on a jacket, or when it was windy, rainy or cold outside. Concealing was the intentional hiding a gun as an act of deception - to appear unarmed. Covering shouldn’t be defined as “concealing”.

    5. Carrying a gun, openly, is already a recognized right which is unlicensed. A license does not permit you to carry, it permits you to “cover” a gun you can already legally carry and/or to have it with you in a vehicle.

    6. This law ONLY applies to pistols, not to rifles or shotguns. And since Alabama just passed the repeal on short-barrel rifles and shotguns, this law doesn’t apply to those weapons, either! Which means we can carry loads of weapons in our cars, we just can’t carry a pistol…where is the logic in that?

    The history of the licensing of pistols goes back to the “black codes” when former slaves had to prove they were “good nig***s” before they could receive a license to carry a gun and not get beaten, which was the punishment for armed blacks after the War. The reason for licenses today has nothing to do with crime, because criminals don’t bother to get licenses. Licenses were created by “hoplophobes” (someone with a fear of weapons or armed citizens) to feel better about their fellow man. They think “if someone has a license that means they have been checked out and are “good nig***s, er, I mean, good people!” This means that licensing (background checks and fees) is actually a violation of our civil rights. Try explaining to any black gun owner in this state that they have to obey the same licensing laws their ancestors were forced to obey after they got their freedom.

    These laws should be repealed as they are simply bad law and their constant revisions are proof of that. A license to carry “covered” what you can already carry “uncovered” is asinine. A citizen must have a “background check” and “purchase an annual license” to throw his jacket over his gun or have it with him in his car? I don’t need a background check to carry openly because the State recognizes that my self-defense is none of their business. But, according to the law, I can have a gun in my car, for self-protection, according to the Castle Doctrine…only if I pass their background check and pay a fee and renew it every year. Or, better yet, explain to the black gun owners of this state that, like their ancestors, they have to prove they are “good nig***s” before they can carry concealed or in their car.

    Alabama gun owners should not be harassed or made to be criminals by the laws of the state as they go about their daily lives. However, at the present time, this is not the case. These laws on the books that are poorly written, have been changed multiple times because of this, and due to the ignorance or overzealousness of some in law-enforcement, have made citizens into criminals. These laws violate the Alabama Constitution, the US Constitution and they are violations of our civil rights. Just for these reasons alone, these laws should be repealed and stricken from the books.

    We are hoping you can help us by coming to our aid to get this matter resolved. This letter is being sent to every member of the state house and senate in the hopes that one or more members will have the intestinal fortitude to stand up and do the right thing for the law-abiding citizens and gun-owners in the state.

    In advance, I’d like to thank you for picking up this cause to restore our basic human and civil rights, as outlined in the Alabama Constitution and the US Constitution.

    I really like it. Nicely done. But I think you need to find a better way to phrase the sections in red. We don't want to appear as racists and get brushed aside.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Leeds, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    786

    Post imported post

    The second problem: Under the United States Constitution and the Alabama Constitution, I have the right to peacefully protest.
    Fixed it for you.


    Ranger, I know you only mean that the restrictions on guns were originally aimed at suppressing the rights of blacks and poor whites, but I think it might get the point across better if you didn't use inflammatory language. I thought it was a great point, though. I agree we shouldn't have to submit ourselves to all these steps as if we were some sort of second class citizen just for wanting to own guns...
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

  25. #25
    Regular Member AL Ranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Huntsville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    238

    Post imported post

    It was in no way meant to be inflammatory. I was stating that because at the time those licensing laws went into effect, that was the meaning behind it. As I said, use it, change it or create your own. Maybe I should have been more specific in my wording, but I'll re-read it before I decide to send it off. Thanks for the words of encouragement and the ideas. Unfortunately, there is one problem with revoking the concealed pistol law...no reciprocity with other states. If you don't have a concealed permit, when you go to other states, you can't carry concealed.
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •