• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Vote June 8th in Primaries

45acpForMe

imported post

I just got the following email from the NRA and agree 100%. Rob has had a good voting record and been kind enough to join us for an OC dinner this past February. He's got my vote and I just want to remind other OC-ers to get out and vote for 2A friendly candidates!

The Second Amendment needs your help - today. The NRA Political Victory Fund has endorsed Congressman Rob Wittman in the Republican primary election in the first congressional district of Virginia. Rob Wittman works to protect your gun rights and hunting heritage in Congress, and now he needs your vote!

Rob Wittman has fought for your firearms freedom in Congress, and now he needs your help to ensure our Second Amendment rights and hunting heritage are protected. During his tenure in Congress, he cosponsored and voted for a bill to restore self-defense rights to residents of our nation's capital. He also has cosponsored legislation to force much-needed reform at the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Finally, he has cosponsored the national Right-to-Carry reciprocity bill that would allow any person with a valid state carry license or permit to carry a concealed firearm in other states. Rob Wittman has a perfect pro-gun voting record in Congress. Accordingly, he has earned an "A" rating by the NRA-PVF and deserves your vote and support.

That's why it's critically important for you and every freedom-loving voter in Virginia's first congressional district to vote for Rob Wittman. For more information or to volunteer in the Rob Wittman for Congress campaign, please call (804) 493-0508 or visit www.RobWittmanForCongress.com.

Early voting has already started. Encourage all of your family, friends, and fellow hunters and shooters to vote Rob Wittman for Congress on June 8th! The future of our Second Amendment rights depends on it!

2a4all

imported post

I'll second that!

Wittman's opponent is none other than Cathrine "I'm running because the Republicans shafted me in my run for Delegate" Crabill.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=29537&forum_id=54&highlight=crabill

The winner of this primary will face off against Democrat Krystal Ball, who is apparently well-financed. I don't think Crabill can beat her.

Posted 6/7/2010 (Primary Eve):

Wittman's the one! Crabill has no chance in November, and would likely be marginalized by her own party as a maverick.

45acpForMe

imported post

Tomorrow is the primaries. Take some time to vote.
I pinged Rob Wittman's office about why he hadn't filled out the VCDL survey. I know he is pro-gun so I thought it looked bad (and for no good reason). I just got this reply back which has a good point, voting record is better than any survey. :)

Dear Mr. Prince-

Thank you for your email to Congressman Wittman about filling out the Virginia Citizens Defense League survey. As you can imagine, we have received hundreds of surveys from several different groups (ranging from national groups to neighborhood associations), and we are still working on going through all of them. In the meantime, I wanted to send you the Congressman's solid record in the House of Representatives in support of Second Amendment issues, which I hope you'll find helpful (see below). In my opinion, his actual record of voting is much more proof of his support for Second Amendment issues than any thing else could be. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Mary Springer
Congressman Rob Wittman

Cosponsored Legislation in the 111th Congress

H.R. 197, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act
Amends the federal criminal code to establish a national standard for the carrying of concealed firearms (other than a machinegun or destructive device) by non-residents. Authorizes a person who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in one state and who is not prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law to carry a concealed firearm in another state in accordance with the restrictions of that state or as specified under this Act.

H.R. 442, the Veterans' Heritage Firearms Act
Provides a 90-day amnesty period during which veterans and their family members can register in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record any firearm acquired before October 31, 1968, by a veteran while a member of the Armed Forces stationed outside the continental United States. Grants such an individual limited immunity under the federal criminal code and the Internal Revenue Code with respect to the acquisition, possession, transportation, or alteration of such firearm before or concurrent with such registration. Extends such immunity to a veteran who attempts to register a qualifying firearm outside of the amnesty period if the veteran surrenders the firearm within 30 days after being notified of potential criminal liability for continued possession.

H.R. 1074, the Firearms Interstate Commerce Reform Act
Amends the federal criminal code to: (1) allow licensed firearms importers, manufacturers, dealers, or collectors (licensees) to sell or deliver any firearm (currently, rifles or shotguns) to a resident of a state other than the state in which the licensee is located or temporarily located if the licensee meets with the purchaser to complete the sale or delivery and the transaction complies with the laws of the state in which the transfer is conducted and the purchaser's state of residence; and (2) eliminate the requirement that a licensee must conduct business at a gun show only in the state that is specified on the licensee's license. Provides that nothing in this Act shall be construed to prohibit the sale or other disposition of a firearm or ammunition: (1) between licensed firearms dealers at any location in any state; or (2) by a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer to an unlicensed person at a temporary location in any state.

H.R. 1684, the Preservation of the Second Amendment in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges Act
Allows, except as provided under federal criminal law relating to the possession of firearms and other dangerous weapons in federal facilities, a person to possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area or national wildlife refuge area in accordance with the laws of the state in which such area is located.

H.R. 2193, the Affordable Reloaded Munitions Supply (ARMS) Act
Prohibits the Secretary of Defense from implementing any policy that would prevent or place undue restriction on the sale of intact spent military small arms ammunition casings to domestic manufacturers of small arms ammunition that are approved under trade security controls.

H.R. 2296, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Reform and Firearms Modernization
Amends the federal criminal code to revise the civil penalties for violations of firearms law and the procedures for assessing such penalties. Requires fines to be based upon the nature and severity of the violation, the size of the firearms business involved, and the prior record of the firearm's licensee. Prohibits consideration of the amount of fines or license revocations imposed by agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) in the retention, promotion, or transfer of such agents. Revises the definition of "willfully" for purposes of firearms violations and standards for criminal violations of firearms recordkeeping requirements. Requires the Attorney General to: (1) make preliminary determinations on firearms license applications and notify applicants in writing of a proposed denial; and (2) establish guidelines for ATF inspections, examinations, or investigations of possible firearms violations. Permits an owner of a firearms business whose license is expired, surrendered, or revoked 60 days to liquidate inventory. Allows purchasers of existing firearms businesses the right to cure firearms violations attributable to such businesses. Allows the transfer, possession, and importation of machineguns for industry testing, research and training, national security services, and motion picture or television production. Eliminates the requirement of written permission for the use of a handgun for lawful purposes by a minor (under age 18) where a parent or legal guardian is present at all times during such use. Prohibits the Attorney General from electronically retrieving inactive firearms licensee information by name or personal identification code. Directs the Attorney General to authorize the importation of all frames or receivers of rifles, or barrels for firearms other than handguns, if the importation is for repair or replacement purposes.

Other:
Supported “Coburn amendment” to H.R. 627: The Secretary of the Interior shall not promulgate or enforce any regulation that prohibits an individual from possessing a firearm including an assembled or functional firearm in any unit of the National Park System or the National Wildlife Refuge System

Legislative Activity in the 110th Congress
Cosponsor of:
H.Res. 1330, Commending the recent decision of the Supreme Court of the United States in District of Columbia v. Heller for upholding the right of the individual to keep and bear arms under the second amendment of the Constitution.
H.R. 1399, the District of Columbia Personal Protection Act
H.R. 1897, the National Park Second Amendment Restoration and Personal Protection Act
H.R. 4900, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Reform and Firearms Modernization Act
H.R. 5434, the Protecting Americans from Violent Crime Act
H.R. 5646, the Protecting the Second Amendment and Hunting Rights on Federal Lands Act
H.R. 6691, the Second Amendment Enforcement Act

TFred

imported post

Crabill is not helping us here. While I would support her against a Democrat, or perhaps even against a RINO, she is not making any friends by running against Wittman. She is an angry woman on a rant, not the sort of person you want in government.

I know the VCDL really gets spun up about candidates returning their surveys, but I have to say that I really hope they don't endorse Crabill over Wittman just because she filled out their form and Wittman didn't. With all due respect to the VCDL decision makers, politics is never based on one issue, and even though one issue is their primary focus, it would be foolish to consider this endorsement on that alone. We do not want to lose Wittman in the primary.

I will definitely be voting tomorrow.

TFred

apollosmom

imported post

Just a few months ago, Rob Wittman sat with us, next to Philip, at the County Grill in Yorktown. It wasn't just a photo-op, rather, he participated in a great evening.

I read the email as well, but Rob's letter on co-sponsoring HR197 is enough for me. Like previous posters stated, Rob covers all the bases I'm concerned about. My vote tomorrow will be for him!

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Thanks for this thread. I had been pretty firmly in Wittman's camp but when I saw that he had not bothered to reply to the VCDL survey, I was a bit disturbed. In fact, I was seriously considering a vote for Crabill. Now having read the info that you have all provided here, I can perhaps make a better vote. I still miss Jo Anne though.

2a4all

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Thanks for this thread. I had been pretty firmly in Wittman's camp but when I saw that he had not bothered to reply to the VCDL survey, I was a bit disturbed. In fact, I was seriously considering a vote for Crabill. Now having read the info that you have all provided here, I can perhaps make a better vote. I still miss Jo Anne though.
I too was a bit surprised to find that Wittman had not returned the VCDL survey. However, I was also taken aback by the general form of the accompanying letter, which alluded to non-respondents as often not being pro-gun, and which painted Wittman with this same broad brush. I think that an explanatory note referencing Wittman's personal acceptance of the OCDO invitation which VanCleve also attended, as well as his voting record,would have been appropriate. Unlike Wittman, those candidates who did have the time to fill out the survey might have also had very few requests for such things from other organizations.

Gun rights are very important to me, but I'm not a one-issue voter.

TFred

imported post

Crabill's radio ads sealed my decision weeks ago. And not with the outcome she would have liked. In her ads, which she is running extensively during Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh show times, she cleverly describes the problems of the current Congress, and all but lumps incumbent Wittman in with the current majority.

I find these ads to be extremely disingenuous, if not practically outright dishonest.

Crabill is an angry woman, bent on revenge for a perceived lack of support from an earlier race. Not the sort who we need fighting for us.

TFred

2a4all

imported post

As of 11:30am, my wife and I were voters #58 & 59 at our polling place. The only place I saw Crabill's name was on the ballot. Wittman had several signs posted.

45acpForMe

imported post

2a4all wrote:
As of 11:30am, my wife and I were voters #58 & 59 at our polling place.  The only place I saw Crabill's name was on the ballot.  Wittman had several signs posted.

Yes there weren't many people out voting this morning. :-( I dropped my daughter off at school and voted in their school gym. Lots of Wittman signs around and one person standing outside for Wittman.

It would be a shame if our candidate was decided by an ACORN busload of people brought in. Since democrats had already decided their candidates they could vote in the republican primary too.

Polls are still open for those out there than need to exercise their voting rights! Use them or lose them!

apollosmom

imported post

Just voted in my precinct around 1725....number 156 out of over 3700 registered voters. This is a disgrace. My beloved county is already known for the shenanigans of our Board of Supervisors....daggone sure don't want to be responsible for a bad choice on the ballot come November when the Brady approved candidate will surely be on the ballot for the other side.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My wife told me a few hours ago that Rob Wittman had won with about 90% of the vote. :D

I, too was impressed by Mr Wittman during our dinner at the County Grill. Truly one of us. After coming to our OCDO dinner and being there with Philip, I agree he doesn't need to flaunt his bona fides with the rest of us.

I voted. I hope the rest of you did too.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Took the Javanese princess and went to the library to vote (while OCing). Both of us voted for Wittman and no raised eyebrows either.

45acpForMe

imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
Took the Javanese princess and went to the library to vote (while OCing). Both of us voted for Wittman and no raised eyebrows either.
What exactly is a Javanese princess? A coffee colored sidearm? Or a Japanese princess - a small samurai sword? :)

You are lucky in that your polling place isn't in a GFSZ.

2a4all

imported post

And with the ink barely dry on the ballots, I got a flyer in today's mail from Krystall Ball denouncing Rob Wittman's performance as the VA 1st District COngressman!

This woman isn't wasting any time going after Wittman's seat. I don't think she will do gun owners any favors, so we need to stay on top of this. November wil be here before we know it!

Edited to add:

Her flyer says that "Roll Call Magazine" ranks Wittman last in effectiveness of all congressmen from VA, and 432/435 overall.:cry:

So all she needs to do to improve things is to win and be ranked 431/435:?!

TFred

imported post

2a4all wrote:
And with the ink barely dry on the ballots, I got a flyer in today's mail from Krystall Ball denouncing Rob Wittman's performance as the VA 1st District COngressman!

This woman isn't wasting any time going after Wittman's seat. I don't think she will do gun owners any favors, so we need to stay on top of this. November wil be here before we know it!
Wikipedia has an interesting article about her. If she wins, she will be the youngest person to ever serve in Congress. (b. November 24, 1981).

Says she is a "strong supporter of the second amendment", but provides no reference or context for that.

But it turns out she is completely nutty and this should be enough to ultimately cost her the election: "Ball is a supporter of increasing teacher starting salaries across the US to $100,000 per year." Talk about chaos... you'd have to triple the local tax revenue to pay for that! That would run us right into the ground.

According to some of the news articles referenced in the Wiki article, she used to have supporting statements on her web site for some of these positions, but now they are gone. Go figure. Nobody will ever find out how nutty she really is. She's well on her way to being a professional politician.

TFred