• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster options for FNP-45?

45acpForMe

imported post

I have tried to search the forum but each time it returns an error. :-(

I am considering getting a FNP-45 pistol and come to find my first choice SERPA doesn't make a holster for it. I found a Safariland holster for under $80 but was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for other holsters. I would prefer a retention holster but it isn't the only type I would consider.

BTW: the reviews of the gun are good and the capacity of 14+1 (or 15+1 with a diff magazine) make it appealing.

emcsqrd

imported post

I bought the FNP-45 last November and absolutely love it. I have fired over 700 rounds through without any type of failure whatsoever. It is my daily carry gun and like you, had trouble finding holsters for it. I went to Backwoods Leather in Portsmouth and talked to James about it, and he stated that he would probably not be making a hoster specifically for that gun unless it bacame much more popular. I ended up buying a leather IWB holster for a Springfield Armory XDM and it fits like it is made for it. I particularly like the IWB because of the ease of switching from OC to CC. Hope this helps and if you decide to purchase the FNP-45, I am quite certain that you will love it.

45acpForMe

imported post

emcsqrd wrote:
I bought the FNP-45 last November and absolutely love it. I have fired over 700 rounds through without any type of failure whatsoever. It is my daily carry gun and like you, had trouble finding holsters for it. I went to Backwoods Leather in Portsmouth and talked to James about it, and he stated that he would probably not be making a hoster specifically for that gun unless it bacame much more popular. I ended up buying a leather IWB holster for a Springfield Armory XDM and it fits like it is made for it. I particularly like the IWB because of the ease of switching from OC to CC. Hope this helps and if you decide to purchase the FNP-45, I am quite certain that you will love it.

What brand was the IWB holster you got? I prefer something hanging on my belt especially for larger guns. I figure if that brand has IWB it might also fit one of their other styles too.

Interesting that it fits the XDM holster because I was waiting for the XDM in 45 to come out and was underwhelmed with the round count of 13 just like the XD. So someone (on this board) was talking about the FNP-45 and I started doing research on it and liked it the more I read. I already have a USP 12+1 and Big Hawg 14/15+1 but saw a good deal come up on gunbroker for a FNP-45.

emcsqrd

imported post

It is actually a Backwoods Leather product. James Kirk is the owner and manufacturer of the holsters and his shop is located on Tyre Neck Rd. in Churchland. He attends most of the local gun shows and is a very nice guy. You might have read about me talking about my FNP-45. It is my favorite gun currently,I just like everything about it. I purchased mine at Superior on Virginia Beach Blvd. back in November and got a really good deal on it. The mags are a little pricey but was lucky enough to find a couple good deals on Gunbroker and purchased them. I really can't say enough good things about the FN product.

45acpForMe

imported post

Did you stick with the 14 round mags or get some 15 rounders?
The one I am bidding on comes with 3 14 round mags so I might not get a 15 round mag.

When I shoot the Big Hawg (15+1) you can feel the difference after you unloaded/shot the first 8 rounds. The muzzle flip gets noticeable. I figure if I am in a SD situation I won't mind a little muzzle flip if I already had to shoot 8 rounds. :)

emcsqrd

imported post

My gun came with three 14 round mags but I ended up winning two seperate auctions on Gunbroker for 15 round mags (1 for three mags and 1 forone mag) so I have seven altogether. It is not a noticable difference in carrying either one. The bottom of the 14 round is flat (like it has been chopped off) while the 15 round mag is rounded off. The gun is considerably larger than the SA XD9SC that I used to carry, but not cumbersome by any means. I grew tired of the 9mm vs. 45, and capacity arguments so I opted for a big gun with big capacity. Problem solved.

45acpForMe

imported post

emcsqrd wrote:
... I grew tired of the 9mm vs. 45, and capacity arguments so I opted for a big gun with big capacity. Problem solved.

I have the same sentiment. I drooled over the hi-capacity 9mm guns but am a .45acp fan so started looking for higher capacity guns. I love my Sig P220's but they are 8+1 so I found the USP at 12+1 and the Big Hawg at 14/15+1. I was not a big fan of Glock and the XD trigger. I love the USP and wish it had 15+1 (which might make it the perfect gun) and am hoping the FNP-45 is close. While I like the Big Hawg and do carry it, it has some finicky tastes for ammo.

So yes I am in search for the perfect hi-cap 45acp gun. :)

open4years

imported post

emcsqrd wrote:

You might be able to help someone. Under "handguns" there is a post regarding Hi Capacity .45's. I suggested the FNP .45, but I didn't know much about it.

Now, for my questions! What is the 'street' price for this pistol. Is it rather heavy for daily carry when you also carry two extra magazines? I used to carry a P14-45, all metal, and two extra mags. I loved the comfort of carrying a high capacity pistol, but I did a lot of pant hitching

45acpForMe

imported post

For the basic model I saw one on Bunbroker.com for $570. For different "Shooter's Pack" I've seen them between $600-$700. If you get the tactical version you are looking at over $900.

The base model comes with three 14 round mags. A shooters pack comes with two 14 round and one 15 round mag a holster and mag holder. (I think)

Overall it isn't any more expensive than alot of other guns. I was going to wait and see if it fit any of my existing holsters before buying one.

cmdr_iceman71

imported post

Safariland 200 "Top Gun" Mid-Ride Level I Retention Holster - Basket Black Left Hand: Model 200-77-182

Safariland 200 "Top Gun" Mid-Ride, Level I Retention Holster - Basket Black Right Hand: Model 200-77-181

At first the FNP-45 will not slip into the holster with ease it's going to take roughly 2 to 3 weeks to break in these leather holsters in properly before they are operational. But trust me no one will be able to just grab this gun away from you, even the police have had trouble disarming me when stopped for open carrying and that's with me standing completely still with my hands up in the air. The gun will only come out with ease at the angle in which you broke it in at and no other.

And yes, your hands and back muscles will be sore the first two days of breaking it in from all the constant pushing and pulling. But in the end it will be worth it, that is if youre serious about OCing with this holster.

If you can find a leather holster that you like and it is for the Sig P226 or Sig 220 then most likely it can be broken in to fit the FNP-45 as well because their dimensions are nearly identical. That's how and why I settled upon the Safariland 200 "Top Gun" series.

No, these holsters are not cheap ($92 right-hand and $110 left-hand) at opticsplanet.com. But yesterday I had a young attractive woman tell me "that gun is so sexy" so guess what, in my humble opinion, the holsters were worth every penny.

Last edited:

streetdoc

imported post

230therapy wrote:
Safariland:

I would call Safariland and verify the FNP45 will fit.

I'd prefer an ALS, but SLS would be fine for open carry.
I carry my FNP 45 in a Safariland Model 568, I also use the same model holster for my CZ 40B, I have never had any problems with this holster including when I OC on my motorcycle-normal carry normal mode of transportation. What really suprised me was the lack of anybody stocking the holster that would fit the FNP 45, I ended up finding it stocked at Optics Planet: http://www.opticsplanet.net/holsters.htmlThey were very good to deal with over the phone.

230therapy

imported post

I buy from opticsplanet.net's website all the time. They are quite good.

On that 568: How tightly does it hold the gun? Does it protect against a gun grab?

45acpForMe

imported post

I wound up having a custom P220 leather holster that fits the FNP-45 very nicely. I figure I will use this holster until SERPA ever decides to release one for it.

cmdr_iceman71

Safariland 200 "Top Gun" Mid-Ride Level I Retention Holster - Basket Black Left Hand: Model 200-77-182

Safariland 200 "Top Gun" Mid-Ride, Level I Retention Holster - Basket Black Right Hand: Model 200-77-181

At first the FNP-45 will not slip into the holster with ease it's going to take roughly 2 to 3 weeks to break in these leather holsters in properly before they are operational. But trust me no one will be able to just grab this gun away from you, even the police have had trouble disarming me when stopped for open carrying and that's with me standing completely still with my hands up in the air. The gun will only come out with ease at the angle in which you broke it in at and no other.

And yes, your hands and back muscles will be sore the first two days of breaking it in from all the constant pushing and pulling. But in the end it will be worth it, that is if youre serious about OCing with this holster.

If you can find a leather holster that you like and it is for the Sig P226 or Sig 220 then most likely it can be broken in to fit the FNP-45 as well because their dimensions are nearly identical. That's how and why I settled upon the Safariland 200 "Top Gun" series.

No, these holsters are not cheap ($92 right-hand and $110 left-hand) at opticsplanet.com. But yesterday I had a young attractive woman tell me "that gun is so sexy" so guess what, in my humble opinion, the holsters were worth every penny.

This is the pic I wasnt able to upload before they revamped the website.

Attachments

• opencarry_tools8_the twins.jpg
    opencarry_tools8_the twins.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,739

45acpForMe

Very cool. Do you wear both of them at the same time? That would be alot of firepower.

I pinged BlackHawk and got this back today.

We are currently in the planning process for manufacturing a Serpa holster for the FNP 45. There is no estimated time of availability on this item as of yet. Please check back with us closer to the end of the year. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Jared Cox
Customer Service Representative
BLACKHAWK!
6160 Commander Pkwy
Norfolk, VA 23502 U.S.A.
Phone: 800-694-5263 ext: 3349

Fax: 888-830-2013
Email:
jcox@blackhawk.com
Web:
www.blackhawk.com

"HONOR. As A Way Of Life."

streetdoc

Very cool. Do you wear both of them at the same time? That would be alot of firepower.

I pinged BlackHawk and got this back today.

We are currently in the planning process for manufacturing a Serpa holster for the FNP 45. There is no estimated time of availability on this item as of yet. Please check back with us closer to the end of the year. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Jared Cox
Customer Service Representative
BLACKHAWK!
6160 Commander Pkwy
Norfolk, VA 23502 U.S.A.
Phone: 800-694-5263 ext: 3349

Fax: 888-830-2013
Email:
jcox@blackhawk.com
Web:
www.blackhawk.com

"HONOR. As A Way Of Life."

Just called today to get an update about this holster, still not in production and no estimated date.

45acpForMe

Just called today to get an update about this holster, still not in production and no estimated date.

Bummer. I haven't been carrying mine because my SigP220 holster I use for it doesn't have retention. I was waiting for the SERPA to come out. I like some of the leather holsters above but don't want to pay out the wazoo for another holster. I also have several other SERPA's and like their retention mechanism.

Oh well, I guess I will wait some more....

CKM

Hi all. I own an FNP-45 that I love, but to date I only have the Bladetech holster with which it came (shooter's pack) and a couple of generic nylon holsters. Doing a search on e-Bay on "FNP-45 holster," I found a company called Winthrop Holsters that makes leather IWB and OWB holsters for the FNP-45. I know nothing about Winthrop's quality, but it might be worth checking out.