• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

strange incounter

nate0486

imported post

As I posted before on Saturday I oc'ed at home depot for about a hour and a half. I was shopping to buy supplies to build steps at my friends new house.

I noticed a guy glance a few times at my gun but didnt think about it too much. Kept aware of him just to make sure everything was ok.

Yesterday I was at a bowling ally watching my bro bowl. A guy (the guy from home depot) came up to me and said"you were at home depot on sat" i told him I was to which he replied "and you had something on you hip". I said yes. He goes "I noticed the gun and my friend I was with is a macomb county LEO. We followed you just to make sure everything was ok."

We made a little small talk after that. He said that the NEW oc law was cool. I told him that is was not a new law. I directed him and advised him to inform his friend about this web site.

I found it funny that me oc'ing made such a big impact on him he remembered me days later.

Anyone else have anything like this happen. Just wondering if this is common.

kryptonian

imported post

in your small talk did you happen to mention the obvious that a person with criminal intent wouldn't broadcast his having a weapon openly displayed?

nate0486

imported post

I did. He said he figured that a guy with a gun out in the open prob was not the person to be worried about. He did mention that he knew open carry was legal.

CoonDog

imported post

1835 in fact, with regard to Michigan's statehood:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/historical/miconstitution1835.htm

Right to bear arms.

13. Every person has a right to bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

Whereas the 2A is clearly protecting a pre-existing right, it's never been clear to me whether the intent in the Michigan constitution is the same as 2A, or if it was written in a way to appear to be "granting" a new right. I lean toward the idea that rights are inherent, so if granted by the state, it should be written as a "privilege to bear arms". Anyone have a opinion on the wording in the Michigan constitution?

autosurgeon

imported post

CoonDog wrote:
1835 in fact, with regard to Michigan's statehood:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/historical/miconstitution1835.htm

Right to bear arms.

13. Every person has a right to bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.

Whereas the 2A is clearly protecting a pre-existing right, it's never been clear to me whether the intent in the Michigan constitution is the same as 2A, or if it was written in a way to appear to be "granting" a new right. I lean toward the idea that rights are inherent, so if granted by the state, it should be written as a "privilege to bear arms". Anyone have a opinion on the wording in the Michigan constitution?

Affirmation of the right IMOP