Thread: so what do yall think?

Post imported post

a local youth center,whom i know the owner of and me got to talkin today....

long story short,he said he'd like to throw a general firearms safety course for the kids,doesnt matter if it actually involves shooting or not.which are mostly grades 6-12.

he also needs donations to help keep the center running,as its coming almost entirely out of his pocket,but said its not a huge concern,he just wants to do things for the kids.

http://www.aboutfaceyouth.com/

this does not have to be MOC related,just a group of pro 2-A people is all it takes.

anybody interested in helping to set something up,contact him,and i will have a few of his youth center tri folds in my truck at the MOC annual members meeting.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Post imported post

I'd almost like to do a trifold specifically for the 18-21 year old bracket.

Few people in that age range realize that by Michigan law, they can purchase a handgun and carry it for self-defense purposes.

Also, for this age range, I'd really focus on:

1.) General firearms safety
    2.) Brief history, design, and function of common firearms
    3.) Discuss target shooting (Bench, Biathlon, IDPA/IPSC)
    4.) Discuss hunting
    5.) Self-defense, importance of firearms (slate this more towards the older kids)

Mind you also, that any excursion even near a shooting range, will require a safety waiver and parental consent for those under 18 years of age.

-Richard-

Post imported post

I would also recommend that any class involving hands on with firearms MUST be done by a certified instructor for liability reasons.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

everything duly noted,im not doing it by myself obviously,this is where everyone else comes in,i believe we have a few NRA instructors dont we? if not,i know a few,one works at the MSU range,which would be a good place to hold it,but ill have to get ahold of him and alot of people,this is what the thread is for,to help with planning and volunteering.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    everything duly noted,im not doing it by myself obviously,this is where everyone else comes in,i believe we have a few NRA instructors dont we? if not,i know a few,one works at the MSU range,which would be a good place to hold it,but ill have to get ahold of him and alot of people,this is what the thread is for,to help with planning and volunteering.

Oh I figured you were not planning on teaching it just organizing it which is fine!

Just giving you ideas!
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

Post imported post

id have no problem helping with it,some of the younger people would probably respond to me better than an older person. especially if i help organize.

anybody have any ideas on where to get started with the planning?im at a loss....

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Post imported post

Wow I feel really, really, really old now.

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    id have no problem helping with it,some of the younger people would probably respond to me better than an older person. especially if i help organize.

anybody have any ideas on where to get started with the planning?im at a loss....
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Post imported post

i was thinkin that a 12 yo. might respond better to me than to big bad grizzly bear lookin brian! he might scare them...lol

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    a local youth center,whom i know the owner of and me got to talkin today....

long story short,he said he'd like to throw a general firearms safety course for the kids,doesnt matter if it actually involves shooting or not.which are mostly grades 6-12.

he also needs donations to help keep the center running,as its coming almost entirely out of his pocket,but said its not a huge concern,he just wants to do things for the kids.

http://www.aboutfaceyouth.com/

this does not have to be MOC related,just a group of pro 2-A people is all it takes.

anybody interested in helping to set something up,contact him,and i will have a few of his youth center tri folds in my truck at the MOC annual members meeting.
    I like to offer a idea or two, Theres a kid gun safety course put on by Lori Levi called "Eddie Eagle" it's an interaction course with coloring books and videos, to my understanding it's NRA certified. Mrs. Lori Levi as informed me that she knows many MOC members. Lori Levi contact info is:

P.O. Box 871637, Canton, MI. 48187 PH. (734)323-0886 eMail:district21@lorilevi.com

also there's "Live Safe Academy" http://www.livesafeacademy.comor info@livesafeacademy.com . there will be a virus alert when logging on the website, it has been explaned to me that the reason for the virus alert is because of the security software used as the company has many goverment contracts. 586.771.8487 This company along with mrs levi has done the child gun safety program together locally in western wayne county.
    "Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
    ,,, So Mote Be

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.-- JC

Post imported post

eddie eagle is more of the pre-k-6th grade age group,his youth center is 6-12th grade.

it'll be a good discussion topic tommorow at the meeting,i have some fliers for his youth center,and everything can be discussed.

Post imported post

I highly, highly recommend Live Safe if you're going to choose one of those options. I have personally taken classes from Ian Kinder, and he really knows his stuff.

Post imported post

do they charge?

he is looking for free stuff,volunteers,he cant afford anything really.which is why i came here before Emailing others.

Post imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
    do they charge?

he is looking for free stuff,volunteers,he cant afford anything really.which is why i came here before Emailing others.
    The Adult class was $5.00 per person, but you'd have to check. :-)
    "Liberty's too precious a thing to be buried in books...Men should hold it up in front of them every single day of their lives and say: 'I'm free to think and to speak. My ancestors couldn't. I can. And my children will."
    ,,, So Mote Be

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.-- JC

Post imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
    I highly, highly recommend Live Safe if you're going to choose one of those options. I have personally taken classes from Ian Kinder, and he really knows his stuff.
    I too have taken classes from Iam Kinder, he seem to know his stuff from my field of vision.
    ,,, So Mote Be