• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Carry New Members and Wisconsin Forum Status

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Wisconsin Carry receives about 100 new members per month on average.

When a new member signs up, they are mailed their member decals along with a welcome letter. In that welcome letter we provide several opportunities for them to keep up with organization events and events relating to the cause of freedom and carry rights in Wisconsin.

-Facebook page (Search Groups "Wisconsin Carry")

-Twitter: www.twitter.com/wisconsincarry

-youtube: www.youtube.com/wisconsincarry

our website of course: www.wisconsincarry.org

and lastly they are given a link to the Wisconsin Forum of OCDO.

We chose to use the forums here at OCDO because of the good working relationship we have with the founders Mike and John, and we wanted to bring people to the forum in appreciation of their support of our organization.

Recently I've begun to question whether I'm doing a disservice to our new membership by sending them to this forum.

Many of those new members assuredly come here and lurk for a while before posting.

There is a great deal of information to be gathered and shared here, but there is also an exceedingly hostile environment.

This forum is not WCI domain, so we have no leverage to affect the content on this section. We do however have to consider the best interest of our new members and have the option of not directing them here if we don't feel its in the best interest of getting participation and positive perceptions of the carry movement in Wisconsin. We hope to be able to be confident in continuing to offer members a link to this discussion forum to learn and share from all the experienced members here.

I recognize the internet provides a safe haven to snipe away at people whom you disagree with, but I would just ask that you please consider whether a shot at a fellow poster (deserved or not) is important enough to post in consideration of the fact that it may come at the sacrifice of the participation of newcomers to the forum who are lurking for the first time who may decide its not a worthwhile investment of their time.

I guess what I'm saying is there is SO much knowledge and information on the forum. A little less hostility and a little more information share may go a long way to getting new-comers to the forum to engage and participate instead of writing off the forum as petty and useless. We all know it can be a great source of information.

Carry On

Nik Clark
Chairman - Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
nik@wisconsincarry.org

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

I realize many here think I was too hard on P229sig357DAK in the other thread.

It is just ridiculous to come and post something in such a manner that it makes new members nervous about OCing.

The thing that I don't get is that if P229sig357DAK thinks that his encounter was positive then why post it in such a way as to discourage OC at all?

I know that if I took it that way then plenty of new comers took it that way as well.
I don't usually jump on new posters, you all know that. For some reason that post just rubbed me the wrong way. Like I said before if I am wrong then I apologize ahead of time. I guess we will just have to wait and see if and when the ORR comes through.

With that said, I am willing to work with and help anyone who would like to exercise their rights.

Carry On and Carry Always!

M

McX

imported post

were truly like family; we fuss, we fight, we argue, but when one of us needs help we all come. we have the same shortcomings others do, but were a united organization when it counts!

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman wrote:
but there is also an exceedingly hostile environment.

This forum is not WCI domain, so we have no leverage to affect the content on this section.
Usually you and I agree on most thingsand I do agree with you on your point in bold; however, I disagree with the second line I have quoted. You, the WCI members, and the OCDO members have plenty of leverage. If it gets out of control on this forum it's our own damn fault.

These forums have always been self moderated for the most part and if someone doesn't like something they have to speak up. If more people would fill the offending party's PM box telling them they're in the wrong things might be a lot more civil around here.

Here; I'll start, EVERYBODY stop and think before you typesomething that makes you look like a bunghole! I bite my tounge on here all the time and if I do have something to say that doesn't belong in public domain it gets PM'd.

If you see something you don't like or see someone getting picked on help your fellow members out and PM the offending party, don't just sit there idle and let it go on.

We; and that includes WCI members, are at fault here and no one else.

Spartacus

Banned
imported post

Many thanks to Mike and John for providing WCI a place at the table here.

I totally agree with Nik in that we should go easy on the newbies. They come to this forum looking for answers and not to get kicked around and humiliated. It is one thing to attempt to straighten out a veteran when he strays from common sense and proper decorum but new guys necessarily have thinner skins.

On another note, bulletin board or forum software is very cheap and easy to implement in case WCI ever felt the need to operate its own site in a more businesslike manner. I have a friend that could set it up in a couple of days...

TyGuy

imported post

I visit wisconsincarry, opencarry, icarry, and illinoiscarry and I find that they all have good and bad. Keep up the good work.

professor gun

imported post

Internet forums provide anonymity to the users and some people take that as a license to say things to others that they would never say in person. That in itself leads to inappropriate comments and nastiness that will discourage newcomers. All forums have some of this.

Having said that, it is my impression that there is more than the usual on this forum. It also seems to me that most of it consistently is from two or three folks who frequent this forum; one of them was removed from a different forum that I have familiarity with after only a couple of weeks for his inappropriate comments. He has been on this forum for quite a while exhibiting the same behavior.

This will intimidate new people from joining in which is a loss for all of us.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

professor gun wrote:
Internet forums provide anonymity to the users and some people take that as a license to say things to others that they would never say in person. That in itself leads to inappropriate comments and nastiness that will discourage newcomers. All forums have some of this.

Having said that, it is my impression that there is more than the usual on this forum. It also seems to me that most of it consistently is from two or three folks who frequent this forum; one of them was removed from a different forum that I have familiarity with after only a couple of weeks for his inappropriate comments. He has been on this forum for quite a while exhibiting the same behavior.

This will intimidate new people from joining in which is a loss for all of us.

The one thing that I do respect about ICarry.orgforum is that people are encouraged to usethier real name and post a real picture. ICarry's forum may seem very slow, but it is alot more civil.

There have been many times I have bitten my tongue because there are people on this forum that I know. :lol:

I would like to take a guess on who you are refering to in your second paragraph, but I will do so in a PM.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

McX wrote:
a recent driver's license photo taken of me;

You know, I didn't realize the point of "The great Cornholio" picture you put up McX.... then I reread my post and noticed I used "bunghole". Now I get it!, I'm slow sometimes......

Do you have any TP? TP for my..........

M

McX

imported post

awww, crap brass! i thought i posted a pic of nixon. heh-heh. one thing though, i'm nervous about letting open carriers near my campfire.................