• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA State Preemption Case

XD45PlusP

imported post

Hi All, in light of the Chan case, I thought this might be of some use to all the WA State members, yes it involves Preemption, although it is NOT gun related, but it does offer some insight in to how these justices think.

I sincerely hope this helps people here. And helps all gun owners in WA State.

Lawson v. City of Pasco, No. 81636-1.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/index.cfm?fa=opinions.showOpinion&filename=816361MAJ

Like it or not this is an important case.

Paul Lawson owns and operates a mobile home park in the City of Pasco. The City issued Lawson a citation for permitting one of his tenants to live in an RV, which violated a city ordinance. Lawson challenged that the ordinance was preempted by state law, specifically the Manufactured/Mobile Home Landlord-Tenant Act (MHLTA, RCW 59.20). The trial court found for Lawson, but was reversed by the Court of Appeals.

In today's five-to-four decision and with four opinions, the Supreme Court affirms the Court of Appeals. Justice Charles Johnson wrote the majority opinion, finding that the state has not preempted the field of mobile home park regulation and that Pasco's ordinance did not conflict with the MHLTA.

The Chief Justice signed the majority opinion and also wrote a short concurrence noting that both the state and local laws have been changed to allow tenants to live in RVs. Justice Sanders, joined by Justices Gerry Alexander and James Johnson, dissents and would hold that "the State has preempted the field of mobile home park regulation." Justice Fairhurst, in her own dissent, argues that "Pasco's ordinance ... conflicts with the MHLTA." (briefs and argument)

XD

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

XD45PlusP wrote:
Hi All, in light of the Chan case, I thought this might be of some use to all the WA State members, yes it involves Preemption, although it is NOT gun related, but it does offer some insight in to how these justices think.

I sincerely hope this helps people here. And helps all gun owners in WA State.

Lawson v. City of Pasco, No. 81636-1.

http://www.courts.wa.gov/opinions/index.cfm?fa=opinions.showOpinion&filename=816361MAJ

Like it or not this is an important case.

Paul Lawson owns and operates a mobile home park in the City of Pasco. The City issued Lawson a citation for permitting one of his tenants to live in an RV, which violated a city ordinance. Lawson challenged that the ordinance was preempted by state law, specifically the Manufactured/Mobile Home Landlord-Tenant Act (MHLTA, RCW 59.20). The trial court found for Lawson, but was reversed by the Court of Appeals.

In today's five-to-four decision and with four opinions, the Supreme Court affirms the Court of Appeals. Justice Charles Johnson wrote the majority opinion, finding that the state has not preempted the field of mobile home park regulation and that Pasco's ordinance did not conflict with the MHLTA.

The Chief Justice signed the majority opinion and also wrote a short concurrence noting that both the state and local laws have been changed to allow tenants to live in RVs. Justice Sanders, joined by Justices Gerry Alexander and James Johnson, dissents and would hold that "the State has preempted the field of mobile home park regulation." Justice Fairhurst, in her own dissent, argues that "Pasco's ordinance ... conflicts with the MHLTA." (briefs and argument)

XD

It's an excellent case, and even the majority opinion proves our point about the application of RCW 9.41.290.