• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gov. Perry on Gun Talk Rights

Tom Gresham

imported post

(UGH! I had a brain fade while typing the thread title, and now can't edit it. It should have been Gun Talk Radio.)

This Sunday, May 23, Gov. Rick Perry will be a guest on Tom Gresham's Gun Talk radio show. He will be talking about the coyote he shot a few weeks ago.

Wondering if the folks in Texas had suggestions for questions or topics you'd like to have him address.

The show runs live from 1:06pm until 4:00pm Central time. It's on a bunch of stations in Texas, including Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, etc.

www.guntalk.com/listen for stations and times. It's also on Sirius and XM radio later in the afternoon.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Well, just for conversation, some *I* would like answered:

1. Why has Texas not had OC for the last 140 years when so many other states HAVE had it?

2. Why is Texas today not one of the vast majority of states (43?) that DO have OC? (A) What is TX waiting for in order to join the rest of the Union? (B) Why isTX a follower stateand not a leader state?

3. Why has Perry, as Governor and CEO of TX, not taken theLEAD to encourage bills be sponsored to restore OC to TX instead of simply lazily waiting for somethingto get to his desk for him to sign?

...the other couple of questions would be "non-OC-related" (as I was told by the OT police here, but they ARE related) so I won't list them here. They are also related to supporting AZ as it asserts it own rights as a state.

-- John D.

Tom Gresham

imported post

All good questions, and I intend to ask about OC.

However . . . I've found it to be more useful to not put someone the defensive if you are trying to get his help.

Rather than "why have you not done this?", how about, "How can the good people of Texas get this commonsense constitutional carry (OC) in the Lone Star state?

It's the "presumptive sell." You presume that we all want OC, and now we are just talking about the best way to get it.

It moves the conversation along more quickly, and gets you to the action without the blame.

echo5sierra

imported post

What the hell does it matter what his opinions are? We have no other options besides him. We get whatever we get.

/bitter

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Tom, if there's a way to ask him (without putting him on the defensive) i'd also like to know why the government thinks its constitutional to demand a license fee to exercise a right. Barring that this kind of question isn't possible, ask how we can get constitutional carry like arizona has, concealed without a license.

Tom Gresham

imported post

I was going to ask him about constitutional carry. It's in the news right now, and it's important.

Frankly, I like a governor who goes out without his security detail but provides his own security.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Tom Gresham,

You're right about being more diplomatic, but I was just listing 'talking points' for consideration...the questions themselves can be reworded as seen fit for a 'less confrontational' approach, such as you suggest (and rightly so).

This is one reason it's best *I* not talk to these sorry politicians...it'd get unpleasant quickly.

-- John D.

glock37

imported post

Tom, I listened to the show. I have to say that I was disheartened that the governor feels we are just fine with the way things are right now. Open carry of a long gun is not open carry of a pistol. Perhaps we should write him and let him know we disagree with him. What do you think?

Article1section23

imported post

glock37 wrote:
Tom, I listened to the show. I have to say that I was disheartened that the governor feels we are just fine with the way things are right now. Open carry of a long gun is not open carry of a pistol. Perhaps we should write him and let him know we disagree with him. What do you think?
G, Perry stated that he thinks they will get something done this year in the legislature on OC, but he is personally a CCW guy. A lot of laws are going to change after McDonald.