• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC'ing

brent1865

imported post

I have been an avid shooter and hunter for years but only after becoming a father have i found the importance of protecting not only me, but my family. I never thought about open carrying until i saw someone at a Walgreen's in civilian attire who was armed. It must have been a detective because i saw the badge later from a different angle. It got me thinking about OC'ing and my rights a a citizen. I did some research online and found this site which has been instrumental in turning me into a open carrying participant. Before i go into my experience i want to thank all for all the information i learned from this site, i enjoy reading your stories, with both good and bad experiences, as we can only learn and growin the process of bringing open carry into the mainstream.

After some research and reading ofalot of posts on here i decided to take the leap. Ihad some errands to run yesterday so it was the perfect timefor my first OC.I strapped on my S&W M&P9 and headed out. First stop, gas station. Paid at the pump so no need to go inside but was uneventful even though it was busy. I don't even know if anyone noticed or not. Either they did notice and didn't care, or like the average person, is totally unaware of their environment and surroundings. Next headed to Winn Dixie to geta few things,again nothing eventful as i walked around the store. As i proceeded to the checkout the cashier, a maybe 17 y/o female, noticed but did not say anything, and we had aconversation on how tore up my rewards card was. At that point the manager came over andwe talked about how they are switching programs and so on, he definitely noticed but did not seem to care one way or another that i was carrying. After a couple minutes chat i left and started to feel really good that at least in this partof the state, nobody seemed to care. By the way i am in Ascension Parish, in the Prairieville area. Next and final stop wasat CVS to pick up a prescription for the little one, and again not even a second look that i am aware of. The 16 year old kid behind the counter did seem a bit taken back when he noticed but i just engaged him inconversation and he seemedfine.I got in my truck and headed home with good feelings of my first OC experience.

After some thinking i wonder how muchof the experience dependson a couple social factors. I believe that being in a more rural setting than either BR, NOLA, or Shrev/Bossier, thata more familiarity with firearms makes people more comfortable with seeing someoneOC. Also, being a 33 y/o male who was dressed in khaki shorts and a nice polo (read "preppy looking"..lol) probably helped me not draw as much attention as someone in more relaxed or more casual clothing. All in all a great experience and look forward to my next experience as i slowly but surely enter the world of OC.

4angrybadgers

imported post

Welcome, Brent! If you put your city/state in your profile it will show up beneath your name on the left side. This helps others quickly identify where you are - which comes in especially handy if you engage in a discussion about legal issues. :)

As you noticed, a courteous and polite demeanor goes far in making an uneventful OC outing. Keep up the good work!

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome, Brent!

As you'll find, most OC days go exactly like that. Sometimes you encounter some opposition. Some of those are willing to listen, others aren't.

This past week I was in Judy's Hallmark on Lapalco Blvd in Gretna, looking for some stationary to print invitations to my son's wedding rehearsal dinner. One of the clerks gave me a disdainful look, but when I asked her for help and talked to her like any other customer, she warmed up and was quite helpful. Hopefully she won't have that disdainful look for the next OCer she sees.

Paul E. Blouin

imported post

Brent1865,

Congrats, we should take the necessary steps to secure our right to open carry because of our 2A. Also, be ready to deal with the situation where you end up in the back of a unit taking a ridesomewhere you wasn't counting on going to. Be mentally and monetarily, prepared for this event if it should happen.Mark has had this happen and he can tellyou more about it from his perspective. You might have already looked at this event on the internet.Congrats Again.

XD-GEM,

Be careful in Gretna. If you want to discuss pm me please.

Paul