• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol permits

Kyronami

imported post

I'm 19, I live in Madison county. I'm trying to get a pistol permit but I was told its 21 where I am. I know Alabama's "legal" age is 18 for permits, and its up to the sheriffs offices to decide anything over that.

My question is, is there anywhere I could go in AL to get one at 19? or can I even get a permit in another county legally? I've tried to search and cant find any websites that list the counties and there age requirements.

MSteve

imported post

I'm pretty sure you have to bea resident of the county you are applying in. You could browse a few of the county wesites to see if they say differently.

[align=left]§ 13A-11-75. License to carry pistol in vehicle or concealed on person --[/align]

[align=left]Issuance; term; form; fee; revocation.[/align]

[align=left]The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year from date of issue, if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person or property or has any other proper reason for carrying a pistol, and that he is a suitable person to be so licensed. The license shall be in triplicate, in form to be prescribed by the Secretary of State, and shall bear the name, address, description, and signature of the licensee and the reason given for desiring a license. The original thereof shall be delivered to the licensee, the duplicate shall, within seven days, be sent by registered or certified mail to the Director of Public Safety, and the triplicate shall be preserved for six years by the authority issuing the same. The fee for issuing such license shall be one dollar ($1) which shall be paid into the county treasury unless otherwise provided by local law. Prior to issuance of a license, the sheriff shall contact available local, state, and federal criminal history data banks to determine whether possession of a firearm by an applicant would be a violation of state or federal law. The sheriff may revoke a license upon proof that the licensee is not a proper person to be licensed.
(Acts 1936, Ex. Sess., No. 82, p. 51; Code 1940, T. 14, §177; Acts 1947, No. 616, p. 463, §5; Acts 1951,[/align]
No. 784, p. 1378; Code 1975, §13-6-155; Act 2006-551, §1.)

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

You do have to be a resident to apply. Like you said, it is up to the sheriff so it never hurts to try. Just don't lie or put a fake DOB on the application.

It also couldn't hurt if one or more of your references were cops or deputies, so if you know any who owe you a favor...

Kyronami

imported post

well I know I can get parental consent, I mean my dads the one who bought my pistol anyway, I just called my local sheriffs office that's how I know its 21 here, I asked about if I had parental consent and they said they never heard of that happening.

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

I tried once when I was 18. I called ATF and 18 is the federal limit. Under federal law, you may be 18. Alabama may have a law saying you must be 21. The state can make the age higher than 18 but not younger.

The only way for you to get a permit before you are 21 is to get the law changed, but I would not count on that happening. Not too many people want 18 year olds with pistol permits.

You can Open Carry. If someone else in your family has a permit (your dad?), if you go anywhere with him, let him take control of the weapon and when you get out of the car, he can hand it to you and you may Open Carry it from there. Just don't conceal carry. I carry 2 pistols, but when my wife (20) is with me, I let her have the .38 once we are out of the car. She can Open Carry.

It can be annoying, but there is usually a way to get around a CC permit legally.

Kingfish

imported post

Kyronami wrote:
well I know I can get parental consent, I mean my dads the one who bought my pistol anyway, I just called my local sheriffs office that's how I know its 21 here, I asked about if I had parental consent and they said they never heard of that happening.
You mean your dad gave you one of his old pistols he had laying around?...(buying a firearm for another person is unlawful.)

Kingfish

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
He never said it was bought for him. His dad could have just bought the pistol, then given it to his son as a gift. Good luck convincing a jury that's not what happened.
Chill dude. Just making sure the cat was not admitting to something he shouldn't.

Just a request for clarification.

Kingfish

imported post

Hollowpoint38 wrote:
I'm chilled. LOL If I had said usingFONTS LIKE THISit would have appeared as if I were unchilled and angered, but I wasn't and still am not. I was merely adding to the conversation. :celebrate
;)

dixieborn

imported post

kingfish wrote:
Kyronami wrote:
You mean your dad gave you one of his old pistols he had laying around?...(buying a firearm for another person is unlawful.)

Now I'm always up for being corrected if I'm wrong... but I don't think that buying a firearm for another person is illegal. Only buying a firearm for a person who could not legally buy one himself is illegal if I'm not mistaken.

Thoughts?

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

dixieborn wrote:
kingfish wrote:
Kyronami wrote:

Now I'm always up for being corrected if I'm wrong... but I don't think that buying a firearm for another person is illegal. Only buying a firearm for a person who could not legally buy one himself is illegal if I'm not mistaken.

Thoughts?
When you purchase a firearm from a dealer, it's on the federal background papers (NICS)you have to fill out. It specifically says it is a felony to purchase a firearm for anyone other than yourself.

dixieborn

imported post

From Form 4473:
"Are you the actual buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual buyer, the dealer cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. (See Important Notice 1 for actual buyer definition and examples.)"

From bottom of Form 4473:
"IMPORTANT NOTICES
1. For purposes of this form, you are the actual buyer if you are purchasing the firearm for yourself or otherwise acquiring the firearm for yourself (for example, redeeming the firearm from pawn/retrieving it from consignment).You are also the actual buyer if you are acquiring the firearm as a legitimate gift for a third party. ACTUAL BUYER EXAMPLES: Mr. Smith asks Mr. Jones to purchase a firearm for
Mr. Smith. Mr. Smith gives Mr. Jones the money for the firearm. Mr. Jones is NOT the actual buyer of the firearm and must answer “no “ to question 12a. The licensee may not transfer the firearm to Mr. Jones. However, if Mr. Brown goes to buy a firearm with his own money to give to Mr. Black as a present, Mr. Brown is the actual buyer of the firearm and should answer “yes” to question 12a."

So yes, a man may buy a gun for his (18 or older) son, friend, neighbor, etc provided the recipient of the gift can legally own a firearm. Makes for a great birthday gift! :celebrate

AL Ranger

imported post

The straw man purchases (buying a gun for someone else) was a big thing in the Brady bunch push for gun control. And then Sarah Brady was found buying a rifle for her son. Can you say hypocrite? But she claimed it was legal since it was a birthday gift and not buying for someone who wasn't legally allowed to have one. Really, we know what the gun laws are, but it's funny when the anti's are caught buying guns, or like Rosie O'Donnell having ARMED securiity.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Get the app and apply anyways, you don't have to pay until it is granted,
so you only loose the gas driving down to the office. Maybe apply for a
restricted license so you can drive to shooting range, then go everyday.
Have never tried to get restricted one so have no idea what they would
deem appropriate.

Make sure to ask all your office runners their stand on gun rights as you don't
want to wast your vote on scummy brady wanna be's this tuesday.
The only thing that puts the fear of god in them more than a voter, is an
ARMED VOTER!!:celebrate

Welcome to the real world that civics didn't teach you about.
If you get an unrestricted one that has the No Drinking, make sure you
sue for slandering your reputation that you would drink underage. :p

aadvark

imported post

Kyronami,

Under Federal Law, you can not buy a Pistol from a Federal Firearm Dealer until you are at least 21 years of age.

However, under Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 922(x), you can have a Pistol as early as 18.

Either go to your Parents to give you one, or go to a Gun Show.

Alabama Sheriffs can issue Pistol Permits as early as 18 years old, but they rarely do.

Try to convience your Sheriff to issue you a Pistol Permit by showing Him that you are not ineligible under Alabama Code 1975 13A-11-72.

Kirbinator,

No..., you can not get 'kicked out' for Open Carry at a Voting Preceint on Voting Day.

If anyone tried to do so, they would be Violating Alabama Codes 1975 11-45-1.1 and 11-80-11.