• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Quick OC reminder.

Haman J.T.

imported post

For those new to OC and regulars, a thought that has been running through my head for awhile when out and about,is when you are carrying something in your shooting hand.The idea of dropping the gallon of milk or anything made of glass(the things you instinctualy protect from letting go of) when your hands are full,should be instilled in your intense state of awareness.It occured to me,if my hands are full while OCing and a BG see's that as an advantage,your being instinctualy trained to release whatever you have in your hand and draw,would be no different than having nothing in your hand.Most people have that instinct,when you accidentally lose your grip,and move to regain your grip,so there is no spilled milk or broken glass.So when your hands are full,which will happen eventually,it is simple to have that as part of your state of intense awareness.Let Go!Draw!Shoot! Spilt milk and broken glass is not as important as life,and you will instantly be able to dispell the BG's false sense of advantage,because your hands are full! Just a piece of my mind! God Bless and be safe!!

sprinklerguy28

imported post

My strong hand is empty whenever possible. Like autosurgeon said this is a good thing to practice.

B

Bikenut

imported post

All 3 are good posts in my not so humble opinion.

It is good to see folks thinking about things that "could" happen before being confronted with something happening that doesn't fit the script of how it was thought it "would" happen.

Even better to see that this is folded into practice sessions.

:D

Edited because while I was typing another post snuck in there.:)

scot623

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
My strong hand is empty whenever possible. Like autosurgeon said this is a good thing to practice.

Sprinklerguy and I discussed this the other day. I actually made sure the nurse used my left arm as I was OCing while giving blood the other day(at a school no less).

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Great post! I keep my draw hand free as much as possible.

Here's an idea for another thread. I bet many do not train shooting with their other hand. If your draw hand is disabled for any reason this skill can save your life.

insignia240

imported post

I was always trained to carry things with my left hand so I could still salute with my right hand. Same goes with carrrying a handgun on my right hip, I carry groceries with my left.

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
good post!

I will take it a step further. I practice this and I always throw the object at the threat.
Excellent strategy. I am going to incorporate this into the drills I do with my shooting buddies.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Glock9mmOldStyle wrote:
Great post! I keep my draw hand free as much as possible.

Here's an idea for another thread. I bet many do not train shooting with their other hand. If your draw hand is disabled for any reason this skill can save your life.
I wonder how many folks have considered having their strong hand disabled even before the draw... so now what do ya do?

Can you draw from you current carry method with the other hand? Do you have a BUG accessible to the other hand?

kryptonian

imported post

seems to me that when confronted with a situation requiring drawing your weapon the object in your hand could also act as a defensive projectile into their face. buy you some time, excellent slight of hand distraction, and a visual reducer for your assailant. my law enforcement training had us use your ticket clipboard to temporarily blind a suspect in an ambush situation. also throat is a good target. chances are you will be close enough. every second counts. sure you know the 3 threes of an armed confrontation. 3 feet, 3 shots, and 3 seconds is the average.

MK

imported post

I think about this when I am walking and holding the hand of my three year old daughter or when I am carrying her. I make sure to hold her with my left hand since I carry on my right.

office888

imported post

MK wrote:
I think about this when I am walking and holding the hand of my three year old daughter or when I am carrying her.   I make sure to hold her with my left hand since I carry on my right.

1270872241364.jpg

1270871907796.jpg

B

Bikenut

imported post

That first pic is now on my desktop! My thanks to you Sir!!!!

hopnpop

imported post

Agree with this being a good thing to point out. I've always kept this in mind and try to leave my "draw" hand free whenever possible, even if it means carrying 4 or 5 grocery bags in my non-gun hand. I have, for the rare occasion that have to utilize my drawing hand, practiced dropping and/or throwing whatever's in that hand. I've been pleased when, by the time the object hits the floor, the gun's drawn and ready to engage. It's a good judgement of speed, I think. Practice, practice, practice...

hopnpop

imported post

office888and yooperlady> I've got a folder packed full of those types of posters... I thought about making a thread for pro 2-A posters like these and'flavorite gun-related cliches' and sayings buthaven't. I've got a bunch of great posters I think many would enjoy but don't think it'd be worth making itsown thread. Not to mention, I'd have to upload 'em all onto Photobucket to post here :X. Here's one of my (and my wife's) favorites:

illinois5773.jpg

...And a favorite child-related one...

s_4children.jpg

...and one for yooperlady:

cantbeat2.jpg

yooperlady

imported post

Well hopnpop your right! You can't beat a woman who shoots. If more women would just try it they would soon find out that it easy to do and when you go to the range to practice it can be fun.. I enjoy shooting the bulls eye. I am a lot happier when I hit the bulls eye. Makes it fun and I know I can do it.

When I met bikenut he taught me to shoot pistol and archery..Not as good at archery but fun none the less. You see though bikenut was lucky..I am an old farm gal from the U.P. And new things interest me.

So if more ladies would just try shooting they would find out they could and would like to shoot pistols. They would have a defense from the bad guy or person.

I tried bikenut's 9mm and 38 and there was just to much recoil for me.
So we tried the 22 just right for me. So I have learned to hit the bulls eye and center mass.

But you can asked bikenut he will tell you that I am really not happy if I can not hit the bulls eye....so I usually keep trying til I do. And then I keep on til I have hit several bulls eye...

Anyway Ladies try it just once, it will grow on you. And you will be happy you did. Then you will have protection from the unexpected and also protect your children.

Try a small caliber, Then try a larger one see which one fits you best.

Have a nice day!!! :lol:

hopnpop

imported post

Roger all that! My wife, when we met, was familiar with long arms but hadn't ever shot a pistol. She loves it now! She's got itty-bitty hands even by womens' standards and we couldn't find an affordable that fit her so we ended up getting her a .38Spl revolver. It was fine but trigger pull too tight for her to continuously shoot and lessening the trigger pull was creating FTF's. Thanks to Taurus' introduction of the 709 'Slim', she now has an auto that fits her well and she can shoot it all day. In fact, I really like shooting it, too. And it's chambered in 9mm, which she wanted. Either way you cut it, it's always better to have the know-how and ability to shoot. Keep nailing those bulls! ;)