• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Trigger Mod for M&P

Eeyore

imported post

I've never been thrilled with the trigger action on my M&P9. Iread on http://www.mp-pistol.com about the work that Dan Burwell does to reshape the safety block and sear. I was about to ship mine off to him when I read about Apex Tactical's Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK) http://www.apextactical.com/hp_zencart/. It appears to make very similar changes, and it costs about the same ($65) but withoutthe added expense of FedExing your gun both ways. I have no gunsmithing experience, but I watched the "how to" videos on YouTube and figured I'd give it a shot.

I'm only 2/3rd of the way thru the conversion (turns out I didn't have the right size hex wrench to remove the rear sight) and everything has gone exactly as the videos depict. I'm hoping to complete the upgrade tonight, and test-fire it tomorrow. But even without the new safety block, I have only two words: "oh" and "wow". The grittiness and overtravel are gone. There is a clean, crisp break and a short reset. The only price you pay for these improvements (aside from the aforementioned $65) is a longer take-up, since the trigger bar now engages thesear later in its travel.

I'm confident the new safety block will only make things even better. I'll post an update once I finish the last portion of the mod and take it to the range. :cool:

Eeyore

imported post

OK, I finished the mods. The new safety plunger didn't make a noticeable difference in trigger feel. I might have felt some difference if I'd installed it before the other pieces, but who knows?

Anyway, I went to the range and tried it out. The good news:

• I managed to re-install the rear sight in the right place on the first try--I didn't need to make any adjustments to it.
  • No malfunctions of any kind, as expected
  • Smoother, crisper trigger definitely improved the "shooting experience"
The bad news is that my accuracy didn't improve any. Although I managed to put a couple of rounds thru the center of the bullseye at 10 yds, my shot groups were at least as big as they were before, so I guess I'm the problem. :quirky If I were going to use this gun for competition instead of carry, I'd re-install the original trigger spring to reduce the pull weight and see if that helped. As it is, I'll just have to hope more practice will bring my CEP down to a less-shameful size.

So was it worth $65+S/H?I guess it depends on how much you dislike the stock trigger. I'd probably do it again.