• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

High Cap Mags!

garcia46292

imported post

EDIT:

Ok so I just bought a Walther P99 S&W 40.cal handgun. With it came 3 12rd spare parts mag kits. Now because they dont make the gun anymore the Mags are really expensive to buy. Now is there a way to modify the mag to be Kilifornia legal? or should I buy the $60+ 10rd ones?

The reason I ask this is because I would like to open carry this handgun, and would like to just use the mags I now have. Even though they are high cap and its not illegal to possess them can I use/open carry them?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

garcia46292 wrote:
Now is there a way to modify the mag to be Kilifornia legal? or should I buy the $60+ 10rd ones?

The transfer of the magazines (if they are not disassembled into a parts kit) would be a crime in California. While possesion is not a crime, the seller has violatedthe law by offering magazines forsale that have a capacity greater than 10 rounds.

As far as I am aware, you do not need to do anything to the magazines-you commited no crime inbuying themagazines.However you havent done the former owner any favors by posting the fact on the interwebs.

ETA; It's possible that by purchasing the magazines, a buyer could face charges with conspiracy to commit a crime. I think in the interest of caution, the OP should edit the post to omit certain content or delete altogether.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

You could modify them into 10-round mags, but this change has to be "permanent." This means if/when the 10-cap law is repealed you'll have ruined good normal-cap mags.

I'll leave it up to you if they're worth keeping around for when that pig flies.

To elaborate a bit on what C3 said, if you were to build them, it would be illegal as "manufacturing."

So, sounds like your transaction was legal for all parties involved.

Decoligny

imported post

garcia46292 wrote:
Well then my next question would be, If they were owned before the ban in 2000 can i open carry with these mags? Or would that be a bad Idea?

Since you said in your original post that you bought them as disassembled kits, this would only by a hypothetical question.

If you owned them prior to 2000, you could use them in whatever way you wanted.

If you wanted to UOC with a 12 round empty magazine in the gun and 12 round full magazines also openly carried, as long as you weren't in a GFSZ or in any other prohibited area, you would be legal.

If you wanted LOC with a 12 round full magazine in the gun and one in the chamber, in unincorporate areas where discharge of a firearm isn't prohibited by law, as long as you weren't in a GFSZ or any other prohibeted area, you would be legal.

But since you DID NOT own them prior to 2000, it is a moot point. Assembling them would be illegal, unless you modified them to accept 10 rounds max.

garcia46292

imported post

Ok, well I was planing on modifying them for 10rd only anyways so... Although I have no Idea on how to do that and google search hasn't come up with much. Have any Ideas on how to do that?

Gundude

imported post

garcia46292 wrote:
Ok, well I was planing on modifying them for 10rd only anyways so... Although I have no Idea on how to do that and google search hasn't come up with much. Have any Ideas on how to do that?
A gunsmith should be able to help with that.

Decoligny

imported post

garcia46292 wrote:
From what I have read, you can spot weld in a metal plate, or epoxy in a wood or plastic block that restricts the number of rounds. That in conjuction with cutting the spring, or using a shorter spring, will do the trick and limit the capacity to 10 rounds or less. Just be sure to do the fitting before applying the epoxy. Wouldn't want to make a 9 round mag.