• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Strange conversation with Oakland Deputy

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

I normally OC, most of you know that... but I was in my pajamas and wanted to run up to 7-11 for some milk, so I was 'mexi-carrying'.

Anyway, I guess I wasn't concealing very well when I got out of the car. There were four deputies there in two cars, getting coffee I guess...

On my way out the officer came out and asked me to roll my window down. He then said I had to 'keep it covered up'.

I then informed him that 'Open Carry is legal, though, I usually try to use a retention holster when I do it and that this time was in fact accidental.' This was while I was fishing out my CPL, since I was in the car.

He said 'well, your not legal right now'

'yes I am'

'OC isn't legal in the car'

'but I have my CPL'

'but OC isn't legal in the car'

'It is if I have my CPL'

'well, yeah if you have your CPL... ... ... just keep it covered... it scares people when its 'half concealed'...'

This last part was spoken while I was mumbling 'thanks' and rolling up my window to drive away...

I didn't get their names, but I did get their car numbers if someone wants to do research.

It was at about 9:45, Friday May 21st. Car 1910 and car 1912

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
thanks.

im trying to get the mental image of you in pj's mexi-carrying out of my head...:banghead:
Man I needed milk to make my hot-dog helper. It was supposed to be tuna helper but, same thing...:celebrate

office888

imported post

Honestly, in my car, I either set it in my center console cupboard hole, or I set it on my passenger seat.

-Richard-

malignity

imported post

From my personal experience, people seem much more shocked to see a concealed firearm be accidentally shown than just seeing an openly carried firearm.

Why this is, I have no idea.

EM87

imported post

malignity wrote:
From my personal experience, people seem much more shocked to see a concealed firearm be accidentally shown than just seeing an openly carried firearm.

I would guess that it's because when it's carried openly you are obviously not trying to hide it so you must not be doing anything wrong. When you're trying to hide it and they see it accidentally, you must be up to no good because you're being sneaky about it (concealing it).

B

Bikenut

imported post

malignity wrote:

It is more of an "Out of sight, out of mind." kind of thing. Some people spend a great deal of effort and energy trying to maintain their level of denial just so they can keep their illusion of safety.

Kinda like... if I...

See no evil.

Hear no evil.

Speak no evil.

The evil doesn't exist.... and I am safe from evil.

It's all about ......... maintaining a denial of real life.

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
malignity wrote:

It is more of an "Out of sight, out of mind." kind of thing. Some people spend a great deal of effort and energy trying to maintain their level of denial just so they can keep their illusion of safety.

Kinda like... if I...

See no evil.

Hear no evil.

Speak no evil.

The evil doesn't exist.... and I am safe from evil.

Aaaaaaaannnnnddddd then your robbed at gunpoint and possibly wounded or worse......i dont understand people sometimes

Yea....big time in denial

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
malignity wrote:

Kinda like... if I...

See no evil.

Hear no evil.

Speak no evil.

The evil doesn't exist
.... and I am safe from evil.

...yes I do :celebrate

But yeah I don't and can't understand the thought process of 80 percent of America. My favorite response for cops asking 'if you have a CPL why aren't you concealing' is to say 'for the same reasons you aren't concealing'

B

Bikenut

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
My favorite response for cops asking 'if you have a CPL why aren't you concealing' is to say 'for the same reasons you aren't concealing'
Well said! And there is the crux of why many LE do not want people to open carry.... because the gun does send a message of strength... and many LE do not want ordinary people to have the same strength they have since that makes ordinary people harder to control.

And governments do not want ordinary people to have guns because guns are symbols of authority and the purpose of a government is to be the ultimate authority in total control. And, he who has the guns has the control.

And that is why there is a 2nd Amendment... so "we the people" will stay in control of the government!

And those who fear the gun really do not fear the gun... they understand that they can not control the man with a gun and force him to put up with their crap.

The symbol of strength and freedom from control that the gun represents is an insult to those who are nothing more than petty tyrants in their own small lives... tyrants who want everyone else to live the way they want everyone to live.

When someone says: "I don't like guns." or "I'm afraid of guns." they are really saying:

"I don't like that I can't control you." or "My lack of the ability to control you scares me."

As has been said by others much wiser than I............

"Gun control isn't about guns. Gun control is all about.... control."

Michigander

imported post

We need to complain to the Sheriff about this. We also need to let him know that the misleading "no guns beyond this point" sign at the place at 1200 Telegraph where you go to get finger printed and to register guns needs to come down. (The deputy on duty there at least seemed to be familiar with preemption, because she didn't say anything to me when I recently strolled in with the same rig she had on).

Bouchard apparently went great lengths to educate his deputies, and it seems some were too inept to learn the information.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Michigander wrote:
We need to complain to the Sheriff about this. We also need to let him know that the misleading "no guns beyond this point" sign at the place at 1200 Telegraph where you go to get finger printed and to register guns needs to come down. (The deputy on duty there at least seemed to be familiar with preemption, because she didn't say anything to me when I recently strolled in with the same rig she had on).

Bouchard apparently went great lengths to educate his deputies, and it seems some were too inept to learn the information.
I had hoped you'd read this. I couldn't get a hold of you when it happened :celebrate

malignity

imported post

Some people just 'know the law', and don't need anything to remind them of such...:banghead: I know that where I work (in the psychiatric ward) that when new memo's are released and policies are updated, I am required to read and sign that i read the memo, and if my signature is on that memo, and I do now follow procedure, I am held accountable. I'm not sure to be honest that the entire problem lies within the officers that simply aren't educated, but also their superiors that are supposed to train them.

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

office888 wrote:
Honestly, in my car, I either set it in my center console cupboard hole, or I set it on my passenger seat.

-Richard-

Not to harp on you personally, Richard - but I have had this conversation with a lot of people. When you're in your car, one of the most likely scenarios where you might need your firearm is in a road-rage situation. In order to escape the situation and avoid resorting to your firearm, it's likely you'll try some defensive/offensive driving tactics. Having your pistol 'floating' around in the car is now a horrible idea. When your defensive driving fails to escape the situation and you now need your pistol, it's in the back seat, under the seat or between the seat and the door somewhere.

I'm a huge advocate of gun control - which to me means keeping my pistol some place where it won't depart without my help.

JMHO.
PPtk

bsf

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I normally OC, most of you know that... but I was in my pajamas and wanted to run up to 7-11 for some milk, so I was 'mexi-carrying'......
So, based on your story, I think there is no disagreement on your behavior being legal. I have to ask though, are you too dang lazy to put on a pair of pants and a proper holster? Even without additional retention features, a good holster should provide enough retention to prevent a handgun from being jarred loose during an attack. What if you found yourself in a violent encounter? What if you went to ground in an attack? That gun popping out of your waistband and skittering across the floor would not help your situation. Straight up, I find your mindset to be lacking. Carrying “mexican” in pj’s is not a recipe for success. How about displaying a little more personal responsibility when exercising your RTKBA?

detroit_fan

imported post

bsf wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:
I normally OC, most of you know that... but I was in my pajamas and wanted to run up to 7-11 for some milk, so I was 'mexi-carrying'......
So, based on your story, I think there is no disagreement on your behavior being legal. I have to ask though, are you too dang lazy to put on a pair of pants and a proper holster? Even without additional retention features, a good holster should provide enough retention to prevent a handgun from being jarred loose during an attack. What if you found yourself in a violent encounter? What if you went to ground in an attack? That gun popping out of your waistband and skittering across the floor would not help your situation. Straight up, I find your mindset to be lacking. Carrying “mexican” in pj’s is not a recipe for success. How about displaying a little more personal responsibility when exercising your RTKBA?
If the cop told him he wasn't legal I would say there is a disagreement on his behavior being legal. Also telling him he had to keep it covered up was a lie and the leo knew it.