• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Scary Target Encounter

Hammer

imported post

No need- you provided the cite.... :lol:

Evidently you're not a Bugs Bunny fan- it's a term of Bugs'

gogodawgs wrote:
Hammer wrote:
You did good not to have it escalate further! I think we have a disproportionate # of these maroons here in the PNW. They are concentrated in the urban areas, tho from time to time I stumble upon one hiking the back country.

We have a lot of purplish people here?????? Can you cite?

tmp_logo_maroon_color_embroidered_shirt-p231339749780896342f0r05_400.jpg

DaemonForce

imported post

Hammer wrote:
I don't at all agree with Hank. An "ass-beating" would be very much in order, but would need to be focused around some specific circumstances. The gun-grab was the cue. A quick joint break would end the harassment, and be well within bounds of self-defense.
Hank probably lives in the real world but I have given upcrappy experiences for about a year now hencemy comfort zonerefabricating itself infinitely larger:
Relax, nothin's gonna happen... :quirky

The gun-grab is the missed cue. If youtell someonethey should feel liberated and live without fear, thesecond someone attacksthem in a dark alley the first feeling is shockthatthe attackhappened. That shock is extremely dangerous. I believe more so than any attacker you ever face. It's what causes people to miss these critical cues either because they can't believe it happened and they can't respond or the comfort zone is too greatto recognizegenuine threats.

Remember: Recognize threat, disarm.

Hammer wrote:
Up until the early 20th century, these types didn't muddy the gene pool for long. No one missed 'em either. We are now so much more "civilized" we can't deal properly and overtly with a threat like this.
There are ways to cope within current legal protocol, tho.
That's my problem! Growing up it didn't mean a whole lotsince I would encounteritevery week if not every day. The problem isthis danger followed me after high schoolbut it was worse when I didn't have rights. Because of this, laws effected me in ways that I couldn't defend myself. This is why it has become such a critical practice for me to act very quickly. Sure I might not encounter scary situations like this as often anymore but law be damned if the penalty for inaction has gone away. Threats exist. QED.

Hank exercises one point of interest that goes in hand with a well-maintained mindset: An idiot like the OP's scary target is nophysical threat. Normally the statement is true. It'san ordinaryguy without any sense or ability to learn and if lucky, mightDarwin fairly quickly.That last part can be classed as its own form of danger. Not just fromunexpected possibility but because it has a presence thatleechesfrom you. A human being can't gain any power without taking it from another. So what happens when you amplifythe dangerous behaviorsof an irresponsible individual by giving it control?That is what happened in the OP's story.

The guy wasn't just a physical threat. He wasa mental threattoo.

acmariner99 wrote:
the lesson for next time is to expedite my departure before this kind of thing escalates
Good tactic. Thealternative is to disarm the threats along the way.

acmariner99 wrote:
I forget who it was at the Dennys meet today that said "size your opponent up in 30 seconds or less, if you deem him an idiot, leave."
WTF?! That is way too long! :shock:Try doing it in 3.

acmariner99 wrote:
buying one of those recorders that a lot of people here have encouraged me to do.
Get familiar with it and make it a carry habit like your firearm. My recorder is on me like the guy that filmed marblehornets. :p

WinchesterModel12

imported post

1970camaroRS wrote:
This whole incident has made me wonder:

How many people also conceal carry a 2nd gun in case for some odd reason your open carry gets taken from you?
i normally have 1 "BUG" sometimes 2

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

WinchesterModel12 wrote:
1970camaroRS wrote:

How many people also conceal carry a 2nd gun in case for some odd reason your open carry gets taken from you?

What's your decision criterion for going from 1 BUG to 2?

When do you decided to carry 3 guns?

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

1970camaroRS wrote:

This sounds like a good question for a new thread.

I OC a Kimber 1911. I do not pay a Taxfor the right to bear arms (No Permit).So I carry in a manner that enables me to hop in and out of a car easily and quickly. I carry without a round in the chamber so I can eject the mag with a push of a button and have the gun unloaded without pulling the gun to clear the round. For this and my openadmission of this. I have been bashed hard here on this board. I'm not apart of the cool kids club I guess. One aspect of this (and I'm sure many will enlighten me on how stupid I am;)) is that in the event of despite vigilant situational awareness. If someone was to brush past me at Target. When my attention is directed towards myDaughter,as she isfretting over the pink or purple Hanna Montana pillow. And they grab my gun from behind. They would have to ready the weapon to kill me. For that I have a nice little Gerber knife. Knives are far Superior for close quarters combat. At least in my experience.

"No one could pull my gun from behind!" You say. I like to be prepared for all situations and with that. I and my friends have practiced this technique ,with multiple holster types, repeatedly to a second nature response. We mastered what is more like aslam-n-grab that is as easy to do as if you were wearing the holstered gun yourself. I would post a youtube video if it didn't give all the slime of the world a great idea.

oneeyeross

imported post

Hammer wrote:
No need- you provided the cite.... :lol:

Evidently you're not a Bugs Bunny fan- it's a term of Bugs'

Yes, he did say that, about the bull, if'n I'm not mistaken... "what a maroon...what a nin-cow-poop"

kito109654

imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
1970camaroRS wrote:

This sounds like a good question for a new thread.

I OC a Kimber 1911. I do not pay a Taxfor the right to bear arms (No Permit).So I carry in a manner that enables me to hop in and out of a car easily and quickly. I carry without a round in the chamber so I can eject the mag with a push of a button and have the gun unloaded without pulling the gun to clear the round. For this and my openadmission of this. I have been bashed hard here on this board. I'm not apart of the cool kids club I guess. One aspect of this (and I'm sure many will enlighten me on how stupid I am;)) is that in the event of despite vigilant situational awareness. If someone was to brush past me at Target. When my attention is directed towards myDaughter,as she isfretting over the pink or purple Hanna Montana pillow. And they grab my gun from behind. They would have to ready the weapon to kill me. For that I have a nice little Gerber knife. Knives are far Superior for close quarters combat. At least in my experience.

"No one could pull my gun from behind!" You say. I like to be prepared for all situations and with that. I and my friends have practiced this technique ,with multiple holster types, repeatedly to a second nature response. We mastered what is more like aslam-n-grab that is as easy to do as if you were wearing the holstered gun yourself. I would post a youtube video if it didn't give all the slime of the world a great idea.
I would never carry that way but I see where you're coming from.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:

I OC a Kimber 1911. I do not pay a Taxfor the right to bear arms (No Permit).So I carry in a manner that enables me to hop in and out of a car easily and quickly. I carry without a round in the chamber so I can eject the mag with a push of a button and have the gun unloaded without pulling the gun to clear the round. For this and my openadmission of this. I have been bashed hard here on this board. I'm not apart of the cool kids club I guess. One aspect of this (and I'm sure many will enlighten me on how stupid I am;)) is that in the event of despite vigilant situational awareness.

Many people carry in Condition 3 across this great land of ours, both private citizens and official/military carriers. Across the world, millions of gun carriers use Condition 3.

It's a conventional method. But you're right, the cool kids club doesn't like it.

I think each person should decide for himself or herself which method is best, practice/train with it, think about it, and be confident in it.

The cool kids club knee-jerk criticism of it is almost always pretty shallow.

slowfiveoh

imported post

Sir,

You have my utmost admiration for your patience.

Very well done on your part.

When you get to Lakewood, let me know. I will buy you a coffee.

Jason

Mainsail

imported post

What does it have to do with "cool kids"? If you're willing to bet your life that you will always have two hands free, hey, go for it. I seldom have two free hands, and I am comfortable with my sidearm, so for me loaded is the way to go. Just because you carry differently is no reason to bash the people that are only trying to warn you.

waterfowl woody

imported post

Wondering which Target this was? Smokey Point? wondering due to i live in the area and would love to make sure i dont run into this threat to publicsafety.

when is anypersonallowed to try and snatch another persons belonging that are attached to there body. Insighting a riot. wow you handled yourself like a true gentleman. if this is the area im speaking of i would love for the name of the man. does he reach for every gun on a persons hip. alot of people i know in my area that work and SD carry a pistolwould love the heads up on this threat

acmariner99

imported post

waterfowl woody wrote:
Wondering which Target this was? Smokey Point?   wondering due to i live in the area and would love to make sure i dont run into this threat to public safety.

when is any person allowed to try and snatch another persons belonging that are attached to there body. Insighting a riot. wow you handled yourself like a true gentleman. if this is the area im speaking of i would love for the name of the man. does he reach for every gun on a persons hip. alot of people i know in my area that work and SD carry a pistol would love the heads up on this threat

Everett Mall Way

acmariner99

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
Sir,

You have my utmost admiration for your patience.

Very well done on your part.

When you get to Lakewood, let me know. I will buy you a coffee.

Jason

Sir, could you mention this to my ex gf?! :cool:

kito109654

imported post

acmariner99 wrote:
waterfowl woody wrote:
Wondering which Target this was? Smokey Point? wondering due to i live in the area and would love to make sure i dont run into this threat to publicsafety.

when is anypersonallowed to try and snatch another persons belonging that are attached to there body. Insighting a riot. wow you handled yourself like a true gentleman. if this is the area im speaking of i would love for the name of the man. does he reach for every gun on a persons hip. alot of people i know in my area that work and SD carry a pistolwould love the heads up on this threat

Everett Mall Way
Oh wow.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

1970camaroRS wrote:

I often carry a very small bug (Keltec P32) for various reasons.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DaemonForce wrote:
acmariner99 wrote:
the lesson for next time is to expedite my departure before this kind of thing escalates
Good tactic. Thealternative is to disarm the threats along the way.

acmariner99 wrote:
I forget who it was at the Dennys meet today that said "size your opponent up in 30 seconds or less, if you deem him an idiot, leave."
WTF?! That is way too long! :shock:Try doing it in 3.

acmariner99 wrote:
buying one of those recorders that a lot of people here have encouraged me to do.
Get familiar with it and make it a carry habit like your firearm. My recorder is on me like the guy that filmed marblehornets. :p

I said to size people up in 30 seconds. And correct 3 seconds is more like it, I was just provding an analogy. I am in retail and deal with the public everyday, good and bad. I interview people all the time. I size people up in just a few seconds. I do it all the time to everyone around me and trust no one in that respect. Your best line of defense is in these 3 comments:

1) Avoid bad situations. Like a bad horror movie where we all know the victim should not go in the next room. Don't walk through the back parking lot at night to get to your car, park in a well lit area. AVOID!

2) In public size people up quickly. Even the guy two aisles over. YOU are carrying a firearm in public! People steal purses, cell phones, etc... people pick pocket. If a guy two aisle over seems out of place then he is, ramp up your situational awareness and PROFILE everyone around you all the time.

3) Voice/video recorder. Have one. Be ready to turn it on or have it on.

WinchesterModel12

imported post

HankT wrote:
WinchesterModel12 wrote:
1970camaroRS wrote:

none, besides how i feel that day.

i had 3 at the denny's meet and greet today and most probably never noticed

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

WinchesterModel12 wrote:
HankT wrote:
WinchesterModel12 wrote:
1970camaroRS wrote:

none, besides how i feel that day.

That's a veryinteresting way to make a decision like that.

Batousaii

imported post

1970camaroRS wrote:

I have been seriously considering something of this nature. 99's situation has given me alot of food for thought, though i am still chewing. a small mace can and a bug maybe ? - not sure yet.