• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got pulled over with 4 guns in the car

YoZUpZ

imported post

So, I was driving back home fromGet Somewith the wife (we just went shooting). She was driving. We were driving down State St and a UHP unmarked car pulls behind us and is tailing us, then puts on his lights.I turn on the interior lights and the wife rolled down her window.

When he walks up to the car, he saw the bag in the back seat with the Saiga 12 (AK-47 based 12 gauge) and my ear-protector things that say Winchester on them.

He very cautiously comes to the window and asks for license and registration, then asks if we have any firearms in the car, I say, "yes, 4". He asks where they are and I tell him how we have the shotgun and a handgun in the bag in the back seat, one in the trunk, and one in my front-right pocket. I get the registration and insurance out of the glovebox and the wife gives him her license. Then he tells us he pulled us over because one of our brake lights was out and that he saw "the Winchester" in the back seat.

He goes to his car, and on the way back he super cautiously walks to the back of the car, looks through the back glass window to see what we are doing, peeks his head around both sides, then slowly walks up back to the driver side, looks in the back side window, then up to us. At this time I had my CFP in my hand and asked him if he wanted to see it, and he said, "CFP? no you're fine. Everything checked out, just make sure you get the brake light fixed." Then backed up and went back to his car.

This is the first time I've gotten pulled over since getting the CFP, and I was very impressed with how the Highway Patrolman handled it. Didn't take any of the guns, didn't freak out, and obviously knew the newer "open or concealed, fully loaded handgun in car law", etc... So far I'm impressed with UHP when it comes to guns, hopefully most police officers around here are like that :D

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

So you brought the wife so they wouldn't have to call her huh?

Well done.

Where were your hands when he walked up to the car, and through out the stop since you were not driving? I mean they can be where ever you want, but I would have one on where the window and door meets, and the other on the dash-board just to put him at ease, or on my wife's shoulder,to get out of the ticket.

Now, I am sure you cleaned your guns already, so get that break light fix in the morning. :lol:

YoZUpZ

imported post

Pistol Pete Utah wrote:
So you brought the wife so they wouldn't have to call her huh?

Well done.

Where were your hands when he walked up to the car, and through out the stop since you were not driving? I mean they can be where ever you want, but I would have one on where the window and door meets, and the other on the dash-board just to put him at ease, or on my wife's shoulder,to get out of the ticket.

Now, I am sure you cleaned your guns already, so get that break light fix in the morning. :lol:

LOL, I went yesterday by myself, and they didn't call her. But this morning she told me that she wanted to go shooting after work, so I took her today. I bought her a Walther P22 for her birthday, so we can go as much as we want and not have to worry about ammo prices :celebrate...Yeah, as for my hands, I was trying to figure a good place for them, the dash was too far away, so I kept my left hand on my knee and my right hand on the door/window like you said, then when he came back, I had my left hand on my knee, and my right hand up with my CFP to give him. My wife was nervous and kept going through her wallet and purse, and I was like, "just chill out and put both hands on the steering wheel, you don't want him walking up with you going through your purse when he knows we have a small arsenal in the car... lol... She said, "Sorry, I didn't get training with what to do when you get pulled over and have a bunch of guns in the car" :lol:I was like, "seriously? just pretend you were in the cop's shoes"

Whats funny is that we actually had the replacement bulb in the little cargo compartment/arm rest and of course when he told us about the break light, she immediately went to open it up and show him... I was like, "oh great, my wife is gonna get shot" :banghead:

swillden

imported post

YoZUpZ wrote:
.Yeah, as for my hands, I was trying to figure a good place for them, the dash was too far away, so I kept my left hand on my knee and my right hand on the door/window
A really good place for your hands is on the steering wheel. It's easily reachable (well, it better be if you're driving!) and putting your hands on it in the 10 and 2 o'clock positions places them so they're nicely visible to the officer. For added reassurance you can also hold them open, rather than gripping the wheel. That makes it that much more obvious that you don't have anything in your hands.

On your knee isn't bad, but it's not visible until the officer is right next to you.

EDIT: Oh, duh... I didn't read your post very well. Your wife was driving. Yes, SHE should have kept her hands on the wheel. You did the best you could, short of putting your hands out the window.