• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jetblue Pilot Has Gun Removed

IndianaBoy79

imported post

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/21/jetblue-pilot-removed-health-reasons-e-mail-threat-airline-says/

Updated May 21, 2010
Massachusetts Police Take Gun From JetBlue Pilot Associated Press

Massachusetts State Police said Friday that they took a gun off a JetBlue pilot at Logan International Airport after he allegedly told an acquaintance he might harm himself.

Massachusetts State Police said Friday that they took a gun off a JetBlue pilot at Logan International Airport after he allegedly told an acquaintance he might harm himself.
The pilot was not charged with illegal possession of a firearm, suggesting he might be a member of the Federal Flight Deck Officers program. The post-9/11 program screens, trains, arms and deputizes pilots as a last line of aircraft security. There are reportedly 10,000 pilots carrying handguns under the program.
The conflict occurred Thursday, and the pilot was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital for evaluation. The airline refused to identify him and issued a statement saying he was removed from duty "for health-related reasons."
JetBlue also said no passengers were harmed, nor was any flight in jeopardy.
State Police spokesman David Procopio told The Associated Press a federal air marshal alerted troopers about 1:45 p.m., after the acquaintance reported a communication "that suggested a possible inclination by that person to harm himself."
Procopio said three troopers, quickly backed up by four more, confronted the pilot at a crew lounge. The pilot volunteered to undergo a medical evaluation and was taken away by ambulance.
"The subject was in possession of a firearm, which has been seized. The investigation is ongoing," said Procopio.
Asked whether the pilot was a member of the Flight Deck Officers program, Procopio said: "He was not charged with firearm possession."
The Transportation Security Administration refused to confirm whether the pilot was a member of the program, citing security concerns.
"We have an investigation ongoing, and when that is finished, we will release more details," said TSA spokesman Nelson Minerly.

First of all, is this even legal? It'll be interesting to hear the resolution to this story. I had no clue there were so many armed pilots out there.

TehGruu

imported post

I think he'll be getting some money. Just my intial thought though, we don't really know much of the actual story. As for pilots being armed, hell arm 'em all. 2nd amendment is 2nd amendment. I don't see why the FAA would be concerned. The pilotscould do way more damage with their aircraft if they wanted to hurt someone.

-Gruu

Alexcabbie

imported post

TehGruu wrote:
I think he'll be getting some money. Just my intial thought though, we don't really know much of the actual story. As for pilots being armed, hell arm 'em all. 2nd amendment is 2nd amendment. I don't see why the FAA would be concerned. The pilotscould do way more damage with their aircraft if they wanted to hurt someone.

-Gruu

For that matter, arm the passengers, too. Even on international flights, at the end of the flight in, say, Old Blighty they Stew couold make an announcement: "All armed passengers remain seated please, and prepare your storage boxes" Then the armed folks could come to the front, clear their weapons in a clearing-barrel, and place them in locked boxes for the airline to store until their return trip.

Had the passsengers aboard the 9-11 planes been armed, there MIGHT have been four planes crash just as they did; but it's a lead-pipe cinch the World Trade Center would still be standing and the Pentagon would not have one section that is only ten years old.

However, needless to say, if the Twin Towers had not been hit, it would have been chalked up as a lesson on why you need to cooperate with the bad guys so nobody gets hurt.....:banghead:

eye95

imported post

I hope what happened is legal. If folks had good reason to believe that the pilot was suicidal, they have a responsibility to prevent suicide-by-airliner-crash. The presence of the gun was most likely incidental to the concerns of those taking the pilot into custody. However, when LEOs take someone into custody, they seize the weapon, even if it is lawfully carried.

TehGruu

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
For that matter, arm the passengers, too. Even on international flights, at the end of the flight in, say, Old Blighty they Stew couold make an announcement: "All armed passengers remain seated please, and prepare your storage boxes" Then the armed folks could come to the front, clear their weapons in a clearing-barrel, and place them in locked boxes for the airline to store until their return trip.

Had the passsengers aboard the 9-11 planes been armed, there MIGHT have been four planes crash just as they did; but it's a lead-pipe cinch the World Trade Center would still be standing and the Pentagon would not have one section that is only ten years old.

However, needless to say, if the Twin Towers had not been hit, it would have been chalked up as a lesson on why you need to cooperate with the bad guys so nobody gets hurt.....:banghead:

Hindsight Mr. Cabbie. You would think that 9/11 would remind people of what happens when you trust your life to a BG, not just a terrorist. However, it's more of a feelgood B.S. mindset to just lay down and submit. After all, no one kills their victim if the victim doesn't resist...

-Gruu

-Gruu

donny

imported post

As was pointed out what happened is completely legal.

XD40coyote

imported post

Often times these LEO involved " interventions" just make the depressed person worst, as they will now harbor ill feelings towards the "friend" who they thought they could trust.

I will say though, that a pilot ready to board a plane in that sort of depressed state, is a danger. I am refering to "interventions" that don't involve such a responsibility over other's lives.A depressed person sitting at home who tells a friend they want to die, needs the friend, not a bunch of cops, an ambulance and a ride to the ER. A "support structure" of family and friends is better .

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"Crazy" is the new disarmament scheme. Followed the same path in other countries before us.

I've been threatened with similar, and have had several unsigned search warrants (which were never again to be seen) executed upon my property for the seizure of all my firearms.

I was fortunate enough to see it coming, but, alas, I had a boating accident only a few days later in which they were all lost....

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

XD40coyote wrote:
Often times these LEO involved " interventions" just make the depressed person worst, as they will now harbor ill feelings towards the "friend" who they thought they could trust.
This is precisely the objective. I've seen the beast from the inside. If you're not of a mind to be producing tax revenue and being a stupid consumer slave; you're crazy and must be destroyed before the cancer of sense and reason that you are begins to spread. If they can just keep pushing and get you to off yourself, so much easier.

We live in a system of society that only the oblivious or truly evil/hateful can survive in. Those who open their eyes can rarely live with what they find. Such a person is also unable to unsee or unlearn, because only dishonesty can service those interests.

There is a difference between working and earning, and being a population of consumerist idiots funding the Champagne and Caviar Welfare of the Elites with your very lives...

But that's crazy talk! Lock 'im up and steal his guns!

When a system of society leaves one but a single option for making his own way, if even to escape... I believe that society has failed in it's promise of "Life, Liberty, and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS." When you realize that all but evil is prohibited, and you're not sick enough to derive pleasure from the suffering of others; why not eat a bullet? There's nothing else left to do but leave when only the lowest of the low have a reason to wake up in the morning.

I've been there. I know what it's like. Everyone he knows, all those who claim to 'help' him will do nothing but feed him hateful lies and propaganda. Most well-meaning, because they just don't know any better.

Back away from the edge, etc....

The only way out is through. Very few people survive it, they do kill themselves. Once you start to piece it together, there is no turning back. Those who are 'talked down from the edge' will only end up there again, unless "medicated" until they return to a state of being unable to think for themselves; you know, 'normal.'

Steal his guns and dehumanize him even more? Yeah, that'll help. Why not publicly castrate him, too? Yeah, that'll do wonders for making him feel better...

/rant