• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Summer Festivals and OC

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

The summer is coming up and with it all kinds of outdoor events. Be it car shows, Fourth of July, Flea and farmer markets, wine, jazz, parades... well you get the idea. My question is, how do we discern if it is OK to OC or not OC? I understand Music festivals are easy. That one is a big NO. Wine I'm not so sure about? I have been to a few with my seven year old daughter. Not to drink, just to buy. What about mixed events such as one that is coming up local for me? ( http://www.gofourthfestival.org/ ) The "Go 4th" Has music at it every day and all day.However, I understand it as that because it's not primarily about the music. It is not considered a music festival? It takes place at a city park lake in down town Longview. No fences, no cover charge and all people are welcome to Peruse the garage sale quality flea market and Logger competition events held at the lake. If it is in fact OK to OC, What is the significance of if the event provider has a permit for the event? Where can a person look up if the event Host filed for a permit? And if so does this then give them the OK to "Trespass you" out of the public park for OCing?

I appreciate the help and hope some of the answers can help as a guide to others in figuring out if an event is OC legal.

Son

Edit: for my poor spelling. I'm sure I didn't get it all though.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't see that it is a music festival. I don't see that it is a courtroom, post office, etc...

Therefore it is legal. With no entry fee or fencing I cannot see anyreason you cannot OC.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

Thanks, gogo!

I'll try to figure out if the Go Fourth folks have a permit. That is what I assume is what could get me kicked out? Trespassed or what not.

kito109654

imported post

Son_of_Perdition wrote:
Thanks, gogo!

I'll try to figure out if the Go Fourth folks have a permit. That is what I assume is what could get me kicked out? Trespassed or what not.
If it's not a prohibited area or private property and it's open to the publicthen you are good to go, period. A "permit" does not give them the ability to force you to leave...as long as it's open to the public.

Son_of_Perdition

imported post

KITO109654: wrote:"If it's not a prohibited area or private property and it's open to the publicthen you are good to go, period."

Good to know, thanks.

The event takes overa city park with food, flea market, games and music. I can remembersigns prohibiting fireworks posted everywhere but that's the only signage I canrecall.

Hendo

imported post

Even in light of past problem - I believe Folk Life is still a go for carry - yes? Though personally I would opt for cc.

kito109654

imported post

Hendo wrote:
Even in light of past problem - I believe Folk Life is still a go for carry - yes? Though personally I would opt for cc.

Folk life is a go, legally; rules are not law but may result in you being removed from the event if it's not open to the public. However, large crowds = CC in my book. Too many people for proper situational awareness and personal space required to maintain control over one'ssidearm.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, just seems to be missed by some, especially those new to the game.

I'll say it again:

Rules =/= Law

Rules are not Law

You may carryanywhere it isn't prohibited by law and legally you're g2g. This includes your college campus that has banned weapons. OC will result in expulsion so it would obviously be prudent to CC and deeply at that.

The main thing is that you CARRY, if this requires concealing sometimes or if OC isn't your cup of tea that's fine. Please, if you can legally carry, do so. Carry to the full extent of the law.