• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where to look for private sales in Wisconsin?

GuruBear

imported post

Hello. This strikes me as a potentially dumb question but I'll go with it anyway. When I lived in S.C., finding guns for private sale was as simple as opening up the newspaper. In fact, almost all the guns I bought when I lived there were from private sale. I would be relaxing at home on a Saturday, flipping through the listings of guns for sale (there were a lot of em!), pick up the phone, talk to the seller and if we could come to an agreement - we would meet up, hand over the cash and it was done.

For an impulse - I want what I want right now, type person like me, it was great.

So, today - Saturday, I have been browsing around, and I see that private sales are legal in Wisconsin with no need to go through an FFL dealer, but I don't know where to look. Is there an online or paper periodical that lists private sales? Or am I totally misinformed and its not legal?

Thanks

GB

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GuruBear wrote:
Hello. This strikes me as a potentially dumb question but I'll go with it anyway. When I lived in S.C., finding guns for private sale was as simple as opening up the newspaper. In fact, almost all the guns I bought when I lived there were from private sale. I would be relaxing at home on a Saturday, flipping through the listings of guns for sale (there were a lot of em!), pick up the phone, talk to the seller and if we could come to an agreement - we would meet up, hand over the cash and it was done.

For an impulse - I want what I want right now, type person like me, it was great.

So, today - Saturday, I have been browsing around, and I see that private sales are legal in Wisconsin with no need to go through an FFL dealer, but I don't know where to look. Is there an online or paper periodical that lists private sales? Or am I totally misinformed and its not legal?

Thanks

GB

It is currently legal in Wisconsin but who knows for how long with the state government pushing a bill right now to outlaw it.

Anyway, I agree it is difficult to find any private firearm sales as you would in a newspaper down south. With that said all I can think of is attending the gun shows in this state. Private sales still occur there as well (for now). You can also peruse gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com and setup the search parameters for only Wisconsin.

GuruBear

imported post

Hello and thanks for the replies. I will definitely be checking out the gun shows. Good to know my information is up to date, I was worried that the lack of private sales info meant that private sales were no more.

Thanks for the responses, I am really enjoying my day reading the posts on this forum. Some very intelligent discussion from informed people.

Have a great day!

phred

imported post

Don't forget to check the local and regional weekly "Shopper Guides" - usually free at various stores and sometimes delivered. Our "guide" usually has more firearms for sale than the local Newspaper.

BerettaFS92Custom

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:

GuruBear wrote:

Thanks

GB

It is currently legal in Wisconsin but who knows for how long with the state government pushing a bill right now to outlaw it.

Anyway, I agree it is difficult to find any private firearm sales as you would in a newspaper down south. With that said all I can think of is attending the gun shows in this state. Private sales still occur there as well (for now). You can also peruse gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com and setup the search parameters for only Wisconsin.
please let me know the bill number this is a problem as it is part of a first step towards firearm control/ i dowrite my local rep keith ripp on these matters but when you write feingold all you get is a canned response about 2a rights. lets find the bill and get everyone who is a wisconsin resident to write to their repas and senators

1911forme

imported post

Gurubear: Don't forget the usual "gun shows" route. Lots of private sales happen there also. Was there something specific you are looking for?

johnny amish

imported post

GuruBear wrote:

Thanks

GB
Private auctions in the localpaperhave proven to be a good place.