• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Are there ANY gun friendly restaurants in Nothern Virginia?

NightmareSHANIQUA

Haymarket/Gainesville/Arlington/GMU , Virginia, US
imported post

My lady and I were hoping for a nice evening out, but were thwarted when she discovered many of the fine dining restaurants in Alexandria/Arlington were very OC unfriendly. Now while I understand we are only a month and change off of the concealed in ABC ON establishments, sometimes concealed just is not an option.

Can anyone that frequents the area point me towards some nice places for the next time we go out? This has about caused my hair to come out, and I need to hold onto as much as I can :p

Uber_Olafsun

imported post

I was just at Silver Diner by springfield mall today. Also been to a few places in Old Town with no issues. I was told Clydes off Seminary follows state rules but haven't tried it yet since when I go I am usually drinking.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Whitlow's is OC friendly.

Other than IHOP and Bob Evans, there's Amphora in Vienna, Luciano's in Oakton, most of the BBQs Famous BBQ, Champps in Reston.

Check out the Open Carry in NOVA thread, and also look for some topics titled Open Carry in Arlington...I know that there have been a few.

Here's one: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=43463&forum_id=54

I'm sure others familiar with your area will be along to help.

Dreamer

imported post

I posted this on the VA forum last November. Though it might be of interest...

I had dinner Sunday night in Crystal City at the Hara Mesob Ethiopian Restaurant with family and friends.

http://www.harar-mesob.com/

I parked about 2 blocks away, walked up 23rd to the restaurant, had a MARVELOUS dinner, then walked my wife and stepdaughter back to their cars before heading out, caravan-style with my stepdaughter to drive home to NC.

I OC'd the entire time (since this restaurant serves alcohol, and it was too warm for a jacket anyway), and didn't get any comments or strange looks from anyone.

If you dig Ethiopian food, I can highly recommend this restaurant. In fact, as far as I know, it's the only place fans of Ethiopian food CAN carry in the DC metro area, since most of the other Ethiopian restaurants are in DC and MD. Parking is sort of odd (around the corner, and in back), but the food is great, the service is exemplary, and the atmosphere is cozy and intimate.

Hara Mesob--Crystal City VA -- A+ for OC!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I promised the owner I would plug his restaurant some months back. Now, I've got a chance to live up to the promise.

San Vito restaurant in Franklin Farms shopping center off Fairfax County Parkway at Franklin Farms Rd. Italian. Family atmosphere.

Great little restaurant. Prices are pretty reasonable for what you get. Meals are maybe $12-23.

I never pass up a chance to go there if I am in the area. Fortunately for my waistline, I am rarely in the area.

:D

hunter45

imported post

Go to Applebees in Centreville. As I've mentioned before, my sister works there, and the manager is a huge supporter of OC.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Carmines Sterling

Giovannis Pizza Leesburg

Palios Leesburg

Teds Montana Grill Sterling

Buffalo Wing Factory, Sterling

Famous Daves Sterling

Joes Diner Sterling

Joes Pizza Sterling

IHOP Sterling

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

NightmareSHANIQUA wrote:
My lady and I were hoping for a nice evening out, but were thwarted when she discovered many of the fine dining restaurants in Alexandria/Arlington were very OC unfriendly. Now while I understand we are only a month and change off of the concealed in ABC ON establishments, sometimes concealed just is not an option.

Can anyone that frequents the area point me towards some nice places for the next time we go out? This has about caused my hair to come out, and I need to hold onto as much as I can :p
I have never OC'd anywhere in Arlington, having lived there for 24 years and escaping eleven years ago. It does surprise me to see there are some places there where members have OC'd without problems.

I don't go into Arlington but I certainly would be interested to see what you come up with in this thread. What about moving out to Falls Church (though that's just like Arlington I imagine)?

Tomahawk

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
I have never OC'd anywhere in Arlington, having lived there for 24 years and escaping eleven years ago. It does surprise me to see there are some places there where members have OC'd without problems.
Why would you be surprised? Most restaurants have never thought about it one way or the other, and they follow the same pattern we see everywhere else in the state. As long as you look like you know what you are doing and bring your wallet they usually don't say anything.

Don Barnett

imported post

I don't know where your are going, but I have not encountered any restaurants, except for an encounter with arogue shift manager at IHOP on the PWC Parkway at Hoadly Road, that have been Open Carry Unfriendly.

Perhaps it is different in the Northern part of Northern Virginia.

Mayday

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
SouthernBoy wrote:
Why would you be surprised? Most restaurants have never thought about it one way or the other, and they follow the same pattern we see everywhere else in the state. As long as you look like you know what you are doing and bring your wallet they usually don't say anything.

I agree 100%I live in Olde Towne and go to Arlington a couple times a week; not once has anyone said a thing to me. Not once. Same goes for Olde Towne, where I walk into King Street about 4 nights a week with zero incident. I've open carried at just about EVERY place there; from Red Mei to Union Street Grille to Five Guys -- not once has anyone said a thing.

..instead of asking if there are ANY gun friendly restaurants -- the better question would be to ask if there are any unfriendly restaurants.

Don Barnett

imported post

Since virtually every place I go there is no problem with me open carrying, I see no reason to create lists upon lists of these establishments; unless, of course there is an unusual story to go along with them.

I would rather see Open Carry un-friendly businesses listed.

Glock27Bill

imported post

rugerdon wrote:
Since virtually every place I go there is no problem with me open carrying, I see no reason to create lists upon lists of these establishments; unless, of course there is an unusual story to go along with them.

I would rather see Open Carry un-friendly businesses listed.
http://www.vcdl.org/static/gue.html

What about moving out to Falls Church (though that's just like Arlington I imagine)?
Falls Church would ban handguns in a heartbeat if they could.

Bulldog1967

imported post

Regular_Joe wrote:
We have OC'd in several restaurants in Arlington (La Madeline, PF Changs...), Tyson's (Olive Garden, Legal Seafoods...), Annandale (Fuddruckers, Silverado...), Chantilly (Cici's, Chipotle, Famous Dave's BBQ, Texas Roadhouse...), Manassas (Lone Star, UNOs, Red Lobster...) ...
(From: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/44736.html)

Fudds is now on the unfriendly list, btw.

Don Barnett

imported post

Which Fudds?I have OC'ed at the one near PotomacMills Mall with no problems. Even when my Granddaughter's School Spirit Night was held there and the place was crawling with kids, there was no problem.

virginiatuck

imported post

In addition to what has already been mentioned, here are other restaurants where I have comfortably carried openly:

Tyson's Corner:
Chima
Capital Grill
Silver Diner
McDonald's

Reston Town Center:

M&S Grill
McCormick & Schmick's
Uno's
American Tap Room
Mon Ami Gabi
Uncle Julio's
Big Bowl
Clyde's
Virtually every restaurant in Town Center except for Jackson's.

Reston:
Santini's
Ledo's
Chili's
Champp's
Potbelly's
Chipotle
McDonald's
Silver Diner

Herndon:
Charcoal Kabob
The Tortilla Factory
Thai Luang
Minerva
Sorrento's
Amphora
Matsutake
McDonald's

Sterling:
Cheng's
Aoba Sushi
Chili's
McDonald's

Ashburn:
Anothai
Red Robin
Samurai Sushi
The Original Steakhouse
Clyde's
Finnegan's
Subway
Blue Ridge Grill (note: had negative response at Leesbrug location, but Brambleton was fine)
Five Guys
Bertucci's
Fuddrucker's (note: corporate has recently had issues with us; some franchises are OK.)
Potbelly's

Leesburg:
Can't think of any, except McDonald's. I had a negative response from the manager of Shenanigan's, the same night of the negative from Blue Ridge Grill. I've not spent much time dining *in* Leesburg, but there must be a few OC friendly restaurants there. I would expect Bob Evans to be one.

Mmmmm, I'm getting hungry now. I think I'll visit one of the above.