• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anybody here ever a victim of violent crime?

M

McX

imported post

out in the burbs? no, but we have had crimes of theft in proximity to us at the shop. no crimes of voilence................wonder why? maybe they noticed our firearms?:cool:

Landose_theghost

imported post

Victim? No... Altho from personal experiance I can say that the sound ofmy mossberg12gauge cocking sends cowardly criminals running with their tails between their legs!:lol:No need to call the police either, the goon left and has never came back! Who would have thought that the 2nd ammendment could actually help someone?:banghead:<------Sarchasm of course!

Mlutz

imported post

OCglock1988 wrote:
Mlutz wrote:
I have been shot at... Would that count?
Yea that counts... care to elaborate?
I guess... Lol. Anyway, My mom had asked me to go with her to her soon to be EX husbands home and drop off a few things of his, so I went with. We pulled into the driveway, I waited in the truck, she grabbed his things and walked over to the sliding glass door to return them. I looked over and I thought I saw him holding something, didnt think much of it. Turned away from him, and heard a really loud "CRACK" and saw a bright flash. Yep, it was a gunshot. My mom ran to the truck and got in, put the truck in reverse, and gunned it. We came to the end of the driveway, and stopped to see if there were any cars comming. I looked back at the ex, and saw him point the gun at the truck. "CRACK", another shot, we drove off and called the police. Want to know what happened to this guy after all of this? 2 years of probation, and aa classes. He then went to said aa classes drunk, and then spent 52 days in jail. I see him every now and again driving around. Do I need any other reasons to oc? :lol:

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't know what is used to classify levels of crime but I have a few "could a been" examples.

In Charleston, S.C. from 1980 to 1986 and again from 1994 to 1997. One of the guys I worked with was riding his bicycle to the base one morning in Charleston and was attacked by 10 to 15 "kids" with chains. He managed to get away but was beaten badly. I know, not me. My story in Charleston: One night I needed some cash and decided to ride my motorcycle to the ATM. This was around 1981. I packed a Colt .45 ACP model IV series 70 IIRC. Had no idea it was against any laws that I couldn't carry a gun. Anyway, late at night, I pull into my bank and headed to the ATM. The ATM was in an alcove in the bank and there was no way out except the way you walked in. Two "gentlemen" walked up from ???? and positioned themselves on both sides of the walls and crossed their arms. It was dark, the lights around the ATM were broken and all I had was the glow from the ATM screen. I got my cash, turned around and could see them about 15 feet away. My Colt was in my waistband stuck right down the front of my pants. I put my hand on it (cocked and locked) and grasped the butt. Just like in the movies these "gentlemen" turned around and walked away. Needless to say, I was scared crapless. Got on my bike and took off.
My one other event in S.C. was in Goose Creek where I lived in the 90's. I was with a friend in his Corvette stopped at a traffic light. Guy comes running from the bushes (driver side) on the side of the road with a big knife in his hand. My friend opens his console and pulls out his Glock 17 (19?) and pointed it at the guy. My friend said something like "Are you sure you want to do this?". Guy turns around and ran.

I have a few more examples like those above that occurred in Florida in 2003 to 2007 with an attempted home invasion and "trespassers". Also one with a "prowler" looking through my neighbors window at 11:15 at night. In every case that I can think of (except one) I never had to point the gun at anyone or even retrieve it from my holster. Just showing it worked well.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

some guy attempted to beat me up about 10 years ago at a biker bar, I kicked his Azz in the parking lot while the entire bar watched- it was fun, but he started it :).
then I took off with a few other guys ( club members ), because someone called the cops. Ahhhh, the gool ole days.

ilvg2k

imported post

A few years ago I was driving home to my underground garage on the east side. The garage has a automatic sensor that opens the door from a rfid card. Once and a while other cars that parked there would follow you in, as one did this particular night.

After parking and starting walking out, two people who were in the car behind me start to half walk toward me. The woman is asking me if I wanted a good time and such....I just keep walking trying to ignore them. The guy with her ran up behind me (still inside the garage) and in a choke hold took me to the ground hard. This guy was simply stronger than I was and with the lady kicking me in the ribs, escaping proved to be difficult.

She takes my iphone and the cash I had in my wallet I also had a blackberry with me but I managed to keep a death grip on that. They peel out of the garage, I call the 911 and ambulance. Couple of scrapes and some bruised ribs. Never found em. Good times.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ilvg2k wrote:
A few years ago I was driving home to my underground garage on the east side. The garage has a automatic sensor that opens the door from a rfid card. Once and a while other cars that parked there would follow you in, as one did this particular night.

After parking and starting walking out, two people who were in the car behind me start to half walk toward me. The woman is asking me if I wanted a good time and such....I just keep walking trying to ignore them. The guy with her ran up behind me (still inside the garage) and in a choke hold took me to the ground hard. This guy was simply stronger than I was and with the lady kicking me in the ribs, escaping proved to be difficult.

She takes my iphone and the cash I had in my wallet I also had a blackberry with me but I managed to keep a death grip on that. They peel out of the garage, I call the 911 and ambulance. Couple of scrapes and some bruised ribs. Never found em. Good times.
Wow. Now that is bad! Another reason to be able to carry in your vehicle like every other state (just about). For now, I think the "dash carry" would work fine until we can get rid of these idiotic "laws".

JG

imported post

In the early 60's my wife worked in a little carryout Pizza Kitchen on Roosevelt Rd and 30th ave in Kenosha. She had just opened and in walked a kid with a S&W 357 stolen from Tysons Sport shop. He told her to give him the money, took out a knife as he came around the counter. Scared the pee out my wife. He cut the phone wires and left. She went next door and called the cops, gave such a good discription that I told the cops his name. I knew him from school!!! They caught him about an hour later. He got six years.

In 1989 before I retired I traveled for my company and was staying at the Holiday Inn in Jacksonville, Ark. When returning from dinner, 7:30 in the evening this clown came up behind me and started screaming at me to give him my money. He had a small revolver in his hand. For some reason I was very cool and just stared at him while I gave him my wallet. I wanted to remember what he looked like which helped ID him by some pictures at the police station. They caught him about three days later. He also got six years. It wasnt until a little later that it dawned on me what happened and then I got scared. For years after this I was very uneasy in public rest rooms and Mall parking lots. In fact my wife is the one who talked me into getting CC pemit and now I carry when ever I go out of town shopping or traveling.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
SNIP In every case that I can think of (except one) I never had to point the gun at anyone or even retrieve it from my holster. Just showing it worked well.
Reminds me of that statistic that said only 13% of armed-citizen/criminal encounters resulted in shots fired. The vast majority of the time the armed citizen only has to display or make reference to his gun.

PT111

imported post

Citizen wrote:
rcawdor57 wrote:
SNIP In every case that I can think of (except one) I never had to point the gun at anyone or even retrieve it from my holster. Just showing it worked well.
Reminds me of that statistic that said only 13% of armed-citizen/criminal encounters resulted in shots fired. The vast majority of the time the armed citizen only has to display or make reference to his gun.
Good point and I wonder out of that 13% in how many was it necessary to fire a shot. I see too many people looking for a excuse to use their gun rather than a reason. There are many times that it may be perfectly legal to fire your gun but in reality not necessary but since you usually have less than one second to decide it becomes a very critical decision. The you have the rest of your life to analyze your decision.

OCglock1988

imported post

JG wrote:
. It wasnt until a little later that it dawned on me what happened and then I got scared. For years after this I was very uneasy in public rest rooms and Mall parking lots. In fact my wife is the one who talked me into getting CC pemit and now I carry when ever I go out of town shopping or traveling.
This really struck a chord with me because you definitely do feel uneasy in some situations after you've had a gun in your face. Because all it takes is one desperate loser with an itchy trigger finger to end your life. And carrying guns on our hips does not make us bulletproof... be careful out there everybody and watch your backs

Packer fan

imported post

Never a "victim" but Ihave had three guns pulled on me in three different situations. I have posted these before so I will keep them short.

I was out bow huntingI witnessedthree men from the Milwaukee area that was trespassing shoot a deer (buck) with bird shot and as I was walking away from them I saw one of them pull his shot gun down on me twice.

I was out withgroup inasmall rural cemeteryon Halloween night just playing around.As wewere walking home, we saw the shadow of someone walking behind us. Wedidn't know until atruckcame from behind this man that he had a rifle in his hand. The driver stopped and picked us up and took us homefor our safety.

The last was from the Beloit, Wi,PD. We had set off a silent alarm of a building and we didn't know it. As we were leaving two officers came into the parking lot and one jumped out of his car pulled his firearm and said, "put your hands where I could see them." Yes, we had permission to be where we were at.

Not very exciting or even sexy but at the time scary.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

Thanks Packer fan, you third one brought back memories. Back in 1991, I had just turned onto Sunset Dr. in Eau Claire. A cop came up behind me and lit me up, I pulled over, then another squad came at me from the front, stopped and had his shotgun across the hood. I shit my pants. I was ordered to get out with hands in the air, walk backwards aprox. 20 steps and lay flat out on the ground. I got cuffed and placed inthe back of a squad as they went through my car. Apparently, my car fit the description of a vehicle which had fired a gunshot inota mailbox. After about 5 minutes and let me go. They must have found the right car, becasue they took off like they got an offficer down call.

cudahogs

imported post

rcawdor57 wrote:
I don't know what is used to classify levels of crime but I have a few "could a been" examples.

In Charleston, S.C. from 1980 to 1986 and again from 1994 to 1997. One of the guys I worked with was riding his bicycle to the base one morning in Charleston and was attacked by 10 to 15 "kids" with chains. He managed to get away but was beaten badly. I know, not me. My story in Charleston: One night I needed some cash and decided to ride my motorcycle to the ATM. This was around 1981. I packed a Colt .45 ACP model IV series 70 IIRC. Had no idea it was against any laws that I couldn't carry a gun. Anyway, late at night, I pull into my bank and headed to the ATM. The ATM was in an alcove in the bank and there was no way out except the way you walked in. Two "gentlemen" walked up from ???? and positioned themselves on both sides of the walls and crossed their arms. It was dark, the lights around the ATM were broken and all I had was the glow from the ATM screen. I got my cash, turned around and could see them about 15 feet away. My Colt was in my waistband stuck right down the front of my pants. I put my hand on it (cocked and locked) and grasped the butt. Just like in the movies these "gentlemen" turned around and walked away. Needless to say, I was scared crapless. Got on my bike and took off.
My one other event in S.C. was in Goose Creek where I lived in the 90's. I was with a friend in his Corvette stopped at a traffic light. Guy comes running from the bushes (driver side) on the side of the road with a big knife in his hand. My friend opens his console and pulls out his Glock 17 (19?) and pointed it at the guy. My friend said something like "Are you sure you want to do this?". Guy turns around and ran.

I have a few more examples like those above that occurred in Florida in 2003 to 2007 with an attempted home invasion and "trespassers". Also one with a "prowler" looking through my neighbors window at 11:15 at night. In every case that I can think of (except one) I never had to point the gun at anyone or even retrieve it from my holster. Just showing it worked well.

I lived in Goose Creek in 93 while in nuke Navy school. The Charleston area is a rough one. Of all the reasons to kick my a$$, I nearly got it for being a yankee! Had a love/hate relationship with that area. Some places were beautiful and only a block away from severe poverty. Loved a bar/restaurant called Pappys, not sure if its there anymore.

-Fred

hardballer

imported post

Was mugged when I was younger, lost a tooth. Kicked in the face. Yup, I was on the ground. Assaulted on two occasions with a knife (talked my way out of both, in one case the perp had a knife to my throat). That was many years ago.

Once with a gun. Nice chrome Smith and Wesson with a four inch barrel (at my home). Turns out I knew the guy, convinced him he did not want to spend the rest of his life in prison for killing me. He was actually after my neighbor over a woman. The neighbor was a lowlife but still, I couldn't just bow out. That is yet very clear in my mind.

Stepped in the middle of an attempted murder in AZ. Saved the guys life. Happened in a small town outside of Phoenix.

Both the wife and I intervened in that deal. Probably the most scared either of us have ever been. I can tell you from personal experience, that bail should not be allowed in attempted murder cases and restraining orders ain't shyte.

The guy they were assaulting was beaten with softball sized rocks and tossed down a 40 foot ravine. His head split open and him, covered with blood.

The only reason he is alive today is because two folks from Wisconsin were too dumb to mind their own business. Other people did ignore the ruckus, even closed their drapes.

I'd do it again in a heart beat. No second thoughts. My wife too. Regardless of personal cost. The real cost, the personal knowledge that we just stood by, that we let evil have it's way out of fear or cowardice just doesn't set well with us. Tastes like vinegar.

Just not our way. Anyhow, beat your wife, child or an animal, I see or hear it, I am all over you like stink on. . . well you get it.

I am here to tell you that one person can make a difference. I have intervened on behalf of the weak and disadvantaged more times than I can count and always will.

Somebody has to stand up.