• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anybody here ever a victim of violent crime?

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

BROKENSPROKET wrote:
Thanks Packer fan, you third one brought back memories. Back in 1991, I had just turned onto Sunset Dr. in Eau Claire. A cop came up behind me and lit me up, I pulled over, then another squad came at me from the front, stopped and had his shotgun across the hood. I @#$% my pants. I was ordered to get out with hands in the air, walk backwards aprox. 20 steps and lay flat out on the ground. I got cuffed and placed inthe back of a squad as they went through my car. Apparently, my car fit the description of a vehicle which had fired a gunshot inota mailbox. After about 5 minutes and let me go. They must have found the right car, becasue they took off like they got an offficer down call.
You now know to LOCK the doors when you get out, right?

OCglock1988

imported post

A lot of great reasons to carry on here! I was just looking over some of these and thought about people who say there is no need to carry guns. Its sad that they would probably never consider a gun can be used for protection until one of these scenarios happens to them, and when it does they might not be so fortunate as us.

OCglock1988

imported post

hardballer wrote:
Was mugged when I was younger, lost a tooth. Kicked in the face. Yup, I was on the ground. Assaulted on two occasions with a knife (talked my way out of both, in one case the perp had a knife to my throat). That was many years ago.

Once with a gun. Nice chrome Smith and Wesson with a four inch barrel (at my home). Turns out I knew the guy, convinced him he did not want to spend the rest of his life in prison for killing me. He was actually after my neighbor over a woman. The neighbor was a lowlife but still, I couldn't just bow out. That is yet very clear in my mind.

Stepped in the middle of an attempted murder in AZ. Saved the guys life. Happened in a small town outside of Phoenix.

Both the wife and I intervened in that deal. Probably the most scared either of us have ever been. I can tell you from personal experience, that bail should not be allowed in attempted murder cases and restraining orders ain't shyte.

The guy they were assaulting was beaten with softball sized rocks and tossed down a 40 foot ravine. His head split open and him, covered with blood.

The only reason he is alive today is because two folks from Wisconsin were too dumb to mind their own business. Other people did ignore the ruckus, even closed their drapes.

I'd do it again in a heart beat. No second thoughts. My wife too. Regardless of personal cost. The real cost, the personal knowledge that we just stood by, that we let evil have it's way out of fear or cowardice just doesn't set well with us. Tastes like vinegar.

Just not our way. Anyhow, beat your wife, child or an animal, I see or hear it, I am all over you like stink on. . . well you get it.

I am here to tell you that one person can make a difference. I have intervened on behalf of the weak and disadvantaged more times than I can count and always will.

Somebody has to stand up.
thanks for sharing hardballer. Sounds like you've had many close calls over the years. If more people had the same selfless attitude as yourself, the world might be a better place.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
BROKENSPROKET wrote:
Thanks Packer fan, you third one brought back memories. Back in 1991, I had just turned onto Sunset Dr. in Eau Claire. A cop came up behind me and lit me up, I pulled over, then another squad came at me from the front, stopped and had his shotgun across the hood. I @#$% my pants. I was ordered to get out with hands in the air, walk backwards aprox. 20 steps and lay flat out on the ground. I got cuffed and placed inthe back of a squad as they went through my car. Apparently, my car fit the description of a vehicle which had fired a gunshot inota mailbox. After about 5 minutes and let me go. They must have found the right car, becasue they took off like they got an offficer down call.
You now know to LOCK the doors when you get out, right?
I do know NOW. But even then, IF I would have reached around and pushed all the lock buttons down with gun drawn on me, well, I just don't see that going all too well.

hardballer

imported post

OCglock1988 wrote:
thanks for sharing hardballer. Sounds like you've had many close calls over the years[/size]. If more people had the same selfless attitude as yourself, the world might be a better place.
Thanks OCglock1988. My wife says I watched to many old John Wayne movies when I was young (I still watch em. Old re-runs of The Rifleman and the Lone Ranger too.). I usually retort with; "what's your excuse?".

She just smiles and does that flirty thing with her eyes that all women do. A little later, I'll have her recall a few episodes from her past. Some hair raising stuff there too.

Neither one of us seemed to have enough sense to keep quiet or turn our backs. I didn't mean for this to be a pat on our backs, we just lived our lives a little different than some other folks. I was just never one to back down. I've been going against the odds my whole life.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cudahogs wrote:
I lived in Goose Creek in 93 while in nuke Navy school. The Charleston area is a rough one. Of all the reasons to kick my a$$, I nearly got it for being a yankee! Had a love/hate relationship with that area. Some places were beautiful and only a block away from severe poverty. Loved a bar/restaurant called Pappys, not sure if its there anymore.

-Fred
93....Heck, I may have been one of your instructors. Got there in the summer of 93 and was attached to MTS-635 as RCLPO of crew....A (I think). Been too long.

Yep, Charleston, North Charleston, Hanahan, Goose Creek, Summerville and especially "The Battery" are or were pretty rough in the 90's but not as rough as in the 80's. I remember when the hookers would stand ten feet outside the main gate in Charleston and pounce on the poor souls with no cars trying to walk to the bus stop. Soon came the new police chief and all of that crap disappeared.

Pappy's is most likely still there.

cudahogs

imported post

Nice! I think I was on crew 'B' iirc. Loved the biscuits and gravy at Pappys. I work with one of the civilian engineers from my first boat (MTS-635) now.

-Fred