• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Made it!

AdamXD

imported post

Hey guys, I survived the move and had a rather easy time flying with my handgun. My things arrived yesterday and I am almost done unpacking. Now on to my questions.

1) After reading about the "shootings" at some of the local indoor ranges, are local ranged doing anything different about allowing law abiding, mentally stable gun owners into their ranges? I really want to teach my girlfriend how to use my gun for emergency purposes and I am unsure on the state of affairs for the local ranges.

2) Not really about guns, but it's about concealed/open carry. Are there any laws in WI that restrict the type/length/style of knives a citizen can carry? I know that Auto/spring loaded knifes are illegal, but what about manual-open folding blades? I always have some kind of knife on my person (currently a folding box cutter I use for work), am I still within the law? Does it matter how you carry said knife on your person? Clipped on to the OUTSIDE of your belt? How about the INSIDE? In the pocket?

Being from AZ, the general rule of thumb is if the blade is longer than the width of your palm, you'd better think about picking a different knife. Then again, cops don't really care so long as it's not an auto.

Also, are there any gun shows here in WI? I loved going to the gun shows down in AZ.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Finnaly, another knife OC'r!:lol:. Wisconsin has a 3 & 1/4 inch blade length law if your going to CC that's the limit. However,you can carry any length blade so long as the handle is visible (was told this by several LEO's this is fine) and I've had no problems, been doing this for over a year and nada. Justno daggers or switchblades.I personaly wear mineon my belt,tuck the sheathed blade into my pocket and let the handle show (be carefull and watchthat your shirt doesn't cover ittho!).Hope that helps!

AdamXD

imported post

So then there is no blade length for visible carry? That's good. The other knife I carry other than my work-use box cutter is a folder that has got a 3 and 3/4 inch blade.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to the frozen north. Check all localities for blade lengths and other various ordinances (Daggers and whatnot). They're convoluted so be careful. Just remember that while the laws here are really messed up there is always someplace worse (ie Illinois ;)).

paul@paul-fisher.com

imported post

Landose_theghost wrote:
Finnaly, another knife OC'r!:lol:. Wisconsin has a 3 & 1/4 inch blade length law if your going to CC that's the limit. However,you can carry any length blade so long as the handle is visible (was told this by several LEO's this is fine) and I've had no problems, been doing this for over a year and nada. Just no daggers or switchblades. I personaly wear mine on my belt, tuck the sheathed blade into my pocket and let the handle show (be carefull and watch that your shirt doesn't cover it tho!).Hope that helps!

Can you provide statute citation please? I thought I had done a thorough review and couldn't find an actual length.

Landose_theghost

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
Landose_theghost wrote:
Finnaly, another knife OC'r!:lol:. Wisconsin has a 3 & 1/4 inch blade length law if your going to CC that's the limit. However,you can carry any length blade so long as the handle is visible (was told this by several LEO's this is fine) and I've had no problems, been doing this for over a year and nada. Justno daggers or switchblades.I personaly wear mineon my belt,tuck the sheathed blade into my pocket and let the handle show (be carefull and watchthat your shirt doesn't cover ittho!).Hope that helps!

Can you provide statute citation please? I thought I had done a thorough review and couldn't find an actual length.

Looks like I was wrong,the only city ordinances i could find that prohibit knife length are as follows:

Bayside,WI

Racine,WI

Wauwatosa,WI

and of course, Milwaukee,WI

Source: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife2.pdf

Seems to me any other city should be fine to carry a folder larger than 3 1/4 inch blade.

Landose_theghost

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
I have one of these, maybe I will just use this....:D

Current Issue Marine Corp Bayonet

Not too much different than from what I carrry!Nothing against Ka-Bars, butI am an S&W knife fan!!:lol:
SW-1.jpg