• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed weapon permit question

Lawman635

imported post

Hey everyone, I have a question here and i am asking for feedback, on a question that has been bothering me. I am a current Utah state resident with a CWP from utah. Im moving to Idaho and i have been kicking the idea of getting a idaho CWP, now when i contact BCI will they just change the address and let me keep the resident Utah CWP, or will they send me one for Idaho? Or when i change address with BCI will they keep sending me renewals for Utah CWP every five years? Or will it then change status to a Non-Resident Utah CWP?

Any help/feedback with this would be much appreciated.

"The difference between an American and the rest of the world, is that we would rather die on our feet, than live on our knee's"

IndianaBoy79

imported post

I'm unfamiliar with Utah's statue's, but Idaho recognizes all valid out of state licenses/permits. If Utah will let you keep your license as a resident of another state, then it will be valid here. If your Utah license becomes invalid after you move, you will need to get an Idaho one.

My advice: try to keep your Utah license AND get an Idaho one. It will increase the states you can travel to, and you'll have an overlap when one expires giving you time to renew it.

Porter N

imported post

Lawman635 wrote:
Hey everyone, I have a question here and i am asking for feedback, on a question that has been bothering me. I am a current Utah state resident with a CWP from utah. Im moving to Idaho and i have been kicking the idea of getting a idaho CWP, now when i contact BCI will they just change the address and let me keep the resident Utah CWP, or will they send me one for Idaho? Or when i change address with BCI will they keep sending me renewals for Utah CWP every five years? Or will it then change status to a Non-Resident Utah CWP?

Any help/feedback with this would be much appreciated.

"The difference between an American and the rest of the world, is that we would rather die on our feet, than live on our knee's"
I'm moving to Utah next month, and just received my out-of-state Utah permit. the only difference between the resident and non-resident Utah permit is the address. so go ahead and get your address changed through BCI's website and they'll send you a new one with your new address. there are a few states that only accept Utahs RESIDENT license and dont recognize the non-resident.

With your Utah license, you should be able to use that to get your Idaho license as well.

ecocks

imported post

While it may seem logical, you are best advised to check with the issuing department in Utah as to whether you will simply do an address change to effect the switch from a resident to non-resident permit.

Washington was rumored to be the exact same way with people insisting the permits were the same except for the address. However, the AG's office rendered the opinion that a Resident permit would be invalidated by moving out-of-state and would require reapplication.

Idaho will honor a valid permit from another state, but if your permit is invalid due to no longer being a resident, then that becomes a different situation.

Check with Utah as to switching your permit from one to another.

Porter N

imported post

Good point. the BCI website just has a 'Change Address on Permit' section that just asks for an email with some info be sent to them and they'll mail you a new card. It doesnt say anything about state changes, so I'll have to do some calling in the morning.

imported post

I hold both Utah and Idaho CCW's. Both are current. I was told that as long as you hold a current CCW with your current physical address it is valid in the state of Idaho. I'm in the military and i do a lot of traveling so therefore i have CCW's for multiple states due to the fact that its easier to hand over that states CCW instead of going thru the possible hassle of wondering if that state accepts non residents CCWs. Thats just my 2 cents take it for whats its worth. Remember to thank a vet if you enjoy your freedom this memorial day.