• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling from Va to Tx

Cracker

imported post

Hey all,

My family and I will be traveling to Tx next week and I was wondering how i can lawfully carry my pistol. I would like to carry loaded and have it close by but I dont know that it's legal... I do not have a CC permit from any state. Any input on carrying to my destination in Tx would be appreciated! Can't wait to get there! i miss home!

TehGruu

imported post

As long as it's concealed, you're not commiting a crime other than a moving violation and you're not a member of a gang, you're good.

Sec.46.02.UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS.(a)A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1)on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2)inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1)A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1)the handgun is in plain view; or

(2)the person is:

(A)engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B)prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C)a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2)For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

(b)Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c)An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

-Gruu

rodbender

imported post

Just make sure you do not have it on your person. It must be concealed in the car, such as a glove box or console, or even under a towel on the seat. As long as it is not on your person and is not visible and it is not discernable to be a handgun such as an outline under said towel. If you must reach into the place where it is (and not until), on a traffic stop. Tell the officer that it is there before you reach. If he sees it and you haven't told him, he may freak out.

KBCraig

imported post

rodbender wrote:
Just make sure you do not have it on your person. It must be concealed in the car, such as a glove box or console, or even under a towel on the seat.
Nothing in the law says that.

Of course, if you have to step out (especially during a traffic stop), carrying on your person becomes problematic. But it's perfectly legal to do so.

rodbender

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
rodbender wrote:
Just make sure you do not have it on your person. It must be concealed in the car, such as a glove box or console, or even under a towel on the seat.
Nothing in the law says that.

Of course, if you have to step out (especially during a traffic stop), carrying on your person becomes problematic. But it's perfectly legal to do so.
No, it doesn't. But why would you want to be a test case to see if having it strapped to your waist while in a vehicle is to be considered CC without a license. Especially with all the "We are the only ones that should be allowed to carry" cops out there. That, and cops don't know the law that well,that has been proven.

aadvark

imported post

Texas never ceases to amaze me with its Firearm Laws!

Handguns Regulation left and right..., but not one word about Longguns!

So..., I can walk around town with a Rifle and everything is OK, but if I do so with a Pistol..., then, I guess I'd be puttin' my Brains in a Bumblebee.

rodbender

imported post

aadvark wrote:
Texas never ceases to amaze me with its Firearm Laws!

Handguns Regulation left and right..., but not one word about Longguns!

So..., I can walk around town with a Rifle and everything is OK, but if I do so with a Pistol..., then, I guess I'd be puttin' my Brains in a Bumblebee.
Yep, that's pretty much it. Long guns everywhere, handguns, nowhere (well not in the open or without permission from nanny).