• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why I chose the Sig Sauer p229

Calhoun

imported post

First of all folks, I live in Idaho, an EXTREMELY firearm friendly state. I would also like to add that I am 23 years old and new to carrying a firearm but am not new TO firearms.

Knowing the laws of my state regarding open carry and concealed carry, I set out to find the perfect firearm for day to day protection...

I decided to purchase the Sig Sauer p229 Platinum Elite.

WHY I chose this handgun:

First, the SIG-Sauer P226 pistol was developed specially for the US XM9 trials of 1982-84. The P226 was one of just two pistols (the other was the Beretta 92SB-F) that nominally passed all of the technical requirements for these trials. The Beretta won out mainly because of cost, but BOTH are fantastic guns!

I tried out the Sig P226, but overall it was too heavy and LARGE! (Try concealing this thing!) Weighing in at around 40 oz AND having a full sized, LONG 4.4 inch barrel, by the end of the day I was VERY uncomfortable.

I then leaned toward the P228 as it was a "compact" version of the P226, but I am a .40 cal fan, and a good pal of mine mentioned the Sig Sauer P229. The P229 was a newer version of the P228 with pretty much 1 difference: The P229 had a newly designed Slide. The P229's milled steel slide was introduced to handle the higher slide velocities created by the .357 SIG and .40 S&W loads, which the stamped slide of the P228 could not handle without the use of a much stiffer recoil spring. This would have made manual slide-retraction much, much harder. The p229 also only weighed around 30 oz and had a 3.9 inch barrel, a "Compact" version of the P226.

I went with the Sig p229, but in particular the P229 PLATINUM ELITE.

The features of the gun that I absolutely LOVED:

LOOKS: This gun is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! It has a hard back (black) anodized finished frame with a polished glossy and matte stainless slide and aluminum grips.

Aluminum Grips: They are expensive but well worth it since the grips are made slimmer than traditional grips for better traction and comfort during use as I have smaller hands. When combined with the BEAVERTAIL frame of the p229 elites, it provides unparalleled control of the gun.

SRT: Short Reset Trigger: This trigger's reset is 60% shorter than other guns for faster trigger return that equals more control and accuracy during normal or high-speed shooting.

SIGLITE Adjustable Combat Night Sights: Sights that you can see in any type or shade of lighting that you can find yourself in. (Sights are not visible from the front of the gun)

12 Round mag: Mag holds 12 rounds of .40 S&W OR .357 SIG.

"Safe amount of pull" trigger safety (my favorite feature and main reason I went with Sig Sauer): What I mean by this is you can carry a full mag +1 in the chamber and let the hammer down, giving the Trigger a 10 lb pull for the first shot. Reminds you of a good old revolver eh? :) Every pull after the first is 4.4 lbs.

Disassembly Lever: A convenient lever that when pressed, the slide will detach from the gun, leaving access to a removeable barrel and recoil spring, making this the easiest gun to clean and repair EVER! ;)

The ONLY downside of the gun is the PRICE! The Platinum Elite will set you back around $1100 - $1300 but with Sig Sauer, you get what you pay for!

I decided that for my open carry I would use a Blackhawk SERPA Level 2 Tactical Holster. It is a leg holster featuring a button that you press to release the catch on the trigger guard that holds the gun inside the holster no matter what (less you push the button) to draw the gun. The button is in alignment with the model of the gun you bought the holster for, so that when you draw, it puts your hand in perfect position for full master grip of the weapon. Wear this holster that attaches to a belt with a pair of suspenders, and you barely even feel the gun there.

I hope I have made my point about a fantastic gun to carry, whether openly or concealed, any questions just ask. Thank You.

EDIT: The gun also features serrations on the front of the slide, trigger guard, and front side of the handle. These provide fantastic grip of the weapon with 1 or both hands that wont cut or blister your fingers.

Phoenix David

imported post

Sig's are great pistols, that's probably why I have 3 of them.

You can conceal a full size pistol provided you have the right belt, holster and cover garment. I carry a Sig P220/P226 everyday. The belt and the holster are the key, IMO

Loneviking

imported post

I wish it didn't cost so much. For now, I'll just have to stick with my P6, which is a single stack 9mm of about the same size. Sigs are great guns and like you, I like the DA/SA action. Congrats on the new gun!

Running Rebel

imported post

Thanks for the post.I am a new member, and I also just purchased a few weeks ago, a Sig Model 226 Stainless Elite .40 S&W. I love it, and it is the best pistol I have ever owned or shot, bar none! It's accuracy is uncanny, and the most accurate of any gun i have shot, right out of the box. I have always been a Colt Series 70 fanatic, and recently a Para warthog carrier. But,I am just a few minutes away from buying a new Sig Model 229 Platinum Elite .40, when i found your entry on this website. You have totally convinced me, with your thorough description of this gun. I too am a fairly big guy, at 6"2 and 240 pounds. (you may not be the heavy guy that I read a while ago), that also loved this gun. So between you and him, I am making my purchase now. Thanks buddy, and maybe we'll talk again! Running Rebel

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

Glad I'm not the only one here likes Sig Sauer. I have the 229 as well. .357sig with SRT, nite-sites, and added the Crimson Trace Laser grip.

Sigs might be alittle pricey, but well worth it IMO.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I too carry the 229 everyday. I figure if the Secret Service can carry to guard POTUS then I can carry to guard myself and my family.

To Hell and Back!

LIVE FREE OR DIE!

Calhoun

imported post

Running Rebel wrote:
Thanks for the post.I am a new member, and I also just purchased a few weeks ago, a Sig Model 226 Stainless Elite .40 S&W. I love it, and it is the best pistol I have ever owned or shot, bar none! It's accuracy is uncanny, and the most accurate of any gun i have shot, right out of the box. I have always been a Colt Series 70 fanatic, and recently a Para warthog carrier. But,I am just a few minutes away from buying a new Sig Model 229 Platinum Elite .40, when i found your entry on this website. You have totally convinced me, with your thorough description of this gun. I too am a fairly big guy, at 6"2 and 240 pounds. (you may not be the heavy guy that I read a while ago), that also loved this gun. So between you and him, I am making my purchase now. Thanks buddy, and maybe we'll talk again! Running Rebel

GOOD MAN! --wasn't me that posted before, I'm new here and new to carrying a weapon on my person, I'm just helping others with all the information that I had collected during my search for an A grade firearm. I'm happy you chose Sig Sauer and in particular the same weapon I purchased, this will be YOUR VERY FAVORITE GUN! :cool:

Running Rebel

imported post

I have a question for you. Have you had the Crimson Trace laser grips on your Sig 229long enough to know if you like them or not? I have night sights coming on this229 Platinum Elite, and was wondering whether to put the Crimson Trace Laser gripson my Sig 226 Elite or the 229 Platinum Elite. The 229 is going to be my CCW gun. My wife thinks I'm nuts half the time (half the time isn't bad, is it?), because I am selling my Kimber Ultra Carry II to buy this Sig 229 Platinum. Once I saw the quality, feel, and accuracy of my 226 Elite Stainless, that convinced me to do this. I'm not crazy, am I? Running Rebel

Calhoun

imported post

Running Rebel wrote:
I have a question for you. Have you had the Crimson Trace laser grips on your Sig 229long enough to know if you like them or not? I have night sights coming on this229 Platinum Elite, and was wondering whether to put the Crimson Trace Laser gripson my Sig 226 Elite or the 229 Platinum Elite. The 229 is going to be my CCW gun. My wife thinks I'm nuts half the time (half the time isn't bad, is it?), because I am selling my Kimber Ultra Carry II to buy this Sig 229 Platinum. Once I saw the quality, feel, and accuracy of my 226 Elite Stainless, that convinced me to do this. I'm not crazy, am I? Running Rebel
I haven't tried them but in my opinion, with night-sights you really don't need a laser. You can literally see the sights in pure darkness...

45acpForMe

imported post

Running Rebel wrote:
I have a question for you. Have you had the Crimson Trace laser grips on your Sig 229 long enough to know if you like them or not? I have night sights coming on this 229 Platinum Elite, and was wondering whether to put the Crimson Trace Laser grips on my Sig 226 Elite or the 229 Platinum Elite. The 229 is going to be my CCW gun. My wife thinks I'm nuts half the time (half the time isn't bad, is it?), because I am selling my Kimber Ultra Carry II to buy this Sig 229 Platinum. Once I saw the quality, feel, and accuracy of my 226 Elite Stainless, that convinced me to do this. I'm not crazy, am I? Running Rebel

I shot a P220 that had Crimson Trace laser grips and my complaint is that you have to hold down a button on the side of the grip to have the laser on. While shooting, recoil makes that difficult. I have a CT on my Kahr mk40 and love it because the button to activate the laser is on the front of the grip so it is almost impossible "not" to activate the laser.

As with anything, practice and familiarity may make it easier but I would recommend holding one before buying. I also have a lasermax guide rod laser and have had mixed results. It originally caused lots of jams and came apart while in the gun, until I shipped it back and they replaced the cap that holds the batteries in. That helped 98% but for a self defense gun I wanted 100% reliability so I removed it from my P220.

MSteve

imported post

You'll love the 229. I have the 228, which is what the 229 replaced in their inventory. I have 12K+ rounds through it, with no maintenance except good cleaning. The reliability is amazing on these. It eats everthing you feed it, and the only failure I have ever had was a bad magazine (after market, not Sig brand).

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

I've put about 2,000 rounds thru my Sig since I installed the CT grips. I don't think I'll ever have another gun without them. Faster sight-in during tactical close target training. At first I really didn't care for the 'feel' of the grip itself, but it kinda grew on me.

Funny thing, too. After I bought and installed them, I noticed that my Blackhawk Serpa was molded for them. No modification needed.

Thundar

imported post

I love my 229. Never had a problem with it. 6,000+ rounds and no issues. The trigger reset is absolutely fantastic for multiple shots.

I didn't like the crimson laser grips. ODA convinced me not to have a laser on my primary handgun, so I never tried the lasermax.

Calhoun

imported post

MarlboroLts5150 wrote:
I've put about 2,000 rounds thru my Sig since I installed the CT grips. I don't think I'll ever have another gun without them. Faster sight-in during tactical close target training. At first I really didn't care for the 'feel' of the grip itself, but it kinda grew on me.

Funny thing, too. After I bought and installed them, I noticed that my Blackhawk Serpa was molded for them. No modification needed.

I absolutely LOVE my blackhawk SERPA holster!

Running Rebel

imported post

Thanks for the info on the CT grips. I'm not sure I should invest in them right from the start. My Sig 229 will be here this friday, and I can't wait. Everybody is really high on them, so that is one of the main reasons I decided to buy it. And, if the quality is as good asmy 226 stainless Elite, I will be set!

ecocks

imported post

I did some grip and heft-testing on the Sig 229 today. I wasn't impressed with the width of the butt so will not have to struggle with trying to fit it into my existing gun acquisition budget. I'll be sticking with my CZ's and M&P for the future.

A couple of nights ago I had found CT grips for my twoCZ's for $520 and almost had myself talked into pulling the trigger on purchasing those but then talked with a retired LEO about them today. His comment was a complete waste of money and potentially something that would get you killed.

Using a CT-equipped firearm, he had me slow-drawing from my regular carry holster and lighting up random objects around the store we were standing in - the phone, a guncase, a jacket, etc. His demonstration started with the old technique of laying the finger alongside the barrel and just pointing either from the hip or at shoulder-height, then triggering the laser to see where my natural aimpoint was falling.The worst time was about 2-3 inches off of COM. Then we tried the same thing with drawing and triggering the laser to assist "target" acquisition.The time before pulling the trigger was significantly slower with the CT as the eye searched for the dot and the hands/wrists/arms attempted to center on target. Unfortunately,the accuracy was nobetter and slightly worse due to trying to command the muscles to center before pulling the trigger.A case of thinking too much about the shot.

While he conceded that practice with the CT will somewhat speed up the eye-hand coordination over time there is no significant addition to accuracy in a self-defense situation involving moving targets at ranges of less than 5 yards over the point and shoot technique for the shooter who knows their weapon.In fact, a noticeable slow-down in targeting occurs before firing if you are unfamiliar or fumbling around with the wqeapon. Sure, if you practice you're going to achieve better accuracy with your aimed, slow-fire shots, but how many of those are going to be involved in a 3-10 second SD or animal attack situation?

Why do SWAT teams and SF seem to use them so much? More training timeto becomeused to working with the laser as well as with those slower, aimed shots where maximum accuracy (like through a group of people or avoiding ricochets from the cover) is essential.

Makes sense to me so he very effectively talked me out of the CT's. Moving to the NEXT acquisition item for me then.

MarlboroLts5150

imported post

As a firearms instructor in the Navy, I normally get to teach just basic techniques on handling and shooting ahandgun, rifle,shotgun, and machine gun. I would guess thatmost of my studentswill not go any further on their own, just what is required of them to stand an armed watch.

After getting extensive tactical training on my own from my first instructor (retired gunny, USMC), I've had the chance to train 2 people in our spare time.

Obviously, the best way to shoot is proper target sighting, using the built in sights, or a scope. But, out in the real world, there may come a time when you have to shoot, and there is NO WAY to "properly" sight-in your target. That is what a laser sight is for....nothing more.

Example.....you're in your car at a stoplight. Suddenly, a would-be car-jacker runs up tour door. There is NO WAY to gain a proper sight-in. With the laser-sight, you at least know for sure that shooting from your hip, or across your chest, your going to hit your target....and nothing else. One of the big firearm safety rules....Know your target....and what is around and beyond it. Even at close range, you could miss. All the laser does is increase the chance that you will hit your intended target.

I will also say that laser sights are not for everyone. Some people just can't get used to them. Thats fine. But don't let someone else talk you out of them because they had issues with them. Using a laser takes practice, just like shooting with conventional sights.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Videos/TheArtOfSurvivalChapter1/tabid/399/Default.aspx

If/when you have the time, watch the videos from the Crimson Trace website. I think you might see what I mean.

Sorry y'all...didn't mean to hijack the thread......:D

Broondog

imported post

yep the P229 is a nice pistol. i was on the fence about getting one until i read that the SS and the Navy Seals use them. the SS didn't impress me but i figured if it was good enough for the Seals i just had to have one.

i've got 2000+rds downrange with it. standard night sights and Hogue grips. no lasers for me. and yes, aftermarket mags (Pro Mag) for it suck.

i won't call it the end-all pistol but it certainly is a good shooter and i carry it frequently.