• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC experience at Walgreens

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Went to my local Walgreens in Lakewood off of Hipkins and Steilacoom Blvd around 9pm for a few things, as I finished ringing up a guy put his stuff on the counter and the conversation went something like this:

"Hey, you Dirty Harry or something?"
"Nope, Dirty Harry carried a 44 magnum, I've got a Glock 19"
"Wait, so it's legal to carry like that?"
"Absolutely, Washington is an open carry state. No permit is required to carry in the open. Just need a concealed pistol license to conceal it or have it loaded in the car."
"So I can walk around with my 44 on my hip?"
"Absolutely, just as long as you're not prohibited from owning firearms and 21 or older, you can open carry."
"Really? I never knew that!"
"Yup, if you have internet access check out opencarry.org, they have tons of information on there, and there's a message board as well."

A very positive experience, indeed! I've OC'd to a few Walgreens stores, never had a problem. A manager at the Silverdale Walgreens asked if it was legal, I told her it was. Just got an "Oh, okay!" from her.

Hopefully we'll see a new person crop up soon, who happens to own a 44!

killchain

imported post

Hopefully he's wearing a snazzy suit.

"Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya? Punk?"

6a00c2252293c4604a00fad69355900004-500pi

It's official. I'm watching it. Right now.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I'm always cautious about the overeager carrier...

It usually indicates a lack of experience & training.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Or maybe just a large ego. Who is an overeager carrier though?
..The 20 y/o kid @ Taco Bell who says 'I can't wait to turn 21 so I can carry around a gun'...

.45ACPaddy

imported post

Well heck, when I was 20 I was eager to turn 21 so I could finally own something besides a rifle and shotgun, and carry it. I had a good amount of experience at the range, and read up a lot on the subject of carrying for personal protection, so it wasn't just a "I WANNA BE 21 SO I CAN RUN AROUND WITH A GUN LOLOLOLOL!!!!!" type of thing, it was a "Dammit, hurry up so I'm not forced to be ill-equipped in case of an attack!" type of thing. Since I turned 18 I always kept a shotgun by my bed in case of a break in, and the home was where I was limited to having a firearm to protect myself.

kito109654

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

..The 20 y/o kid @ Taco Bell who says 'I can't wait to turn 21 so I can carry around a gun'...
That was me though I didn't say it quite in those words, and I worked reception at a docs office. ;) I believe that those who decide to carry, by nature, do so responsibly the vast majorityof the time.

I sought training and followed through with it then picked a piece and trained with it before carrying. And I was eager the whole way through. For me that meant reading and listening and researchingand reading and listening and researching some more.

killchain

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Same could be said for the 21+ year olds who go get a CPL out of some power trip, or the people who try to carry into a restricted or private area and get mad when they're told not to.

Don't judge people based on their age and their desire to protect themselves and their families, or their professions.