• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You can't have that in here!

Superlite27

imported post

Coming back from the OC meet at Florrisant Starbucks, I decided to drop into the Casey's in Elsberry. They have recently posted a HOMEMADE sign stating, in no uncertain terms:

CONCEALED WEAPONS ARE NOT ALLOWED

next to both entrances in the regulation 14x11 size but with 1"VIOLET letters.

(about the exact color of this, as a matter of fact)

So, since I was OPENLY CARRYING, I marched on in, grabbed a bottle of iced tea, and went to check out.

Without fail, the conversation I was expecting took place:

Checkout lady: You can't have that in here. (Pointing at my hip)

Me: Why not?

Checkout lady: There's a sign that says it's not allowed. (Two other female employees now walk over from the other register)

Me: If my firearm was concealed, how did you know I had it?

Checkout lady: Huh? (One of the other clerks is staring daggers at me)

Me: I saw the sign, and tucked my shirt in soIt wouldn't beCONCEALED. Do you think an armed robber, who doesn't care about a LAW against robbery, is going to happilyobey your sign like I did? How does that work?

Checkout lady: You just can't have that in here.

(I could plainly see I was getting absolutely nowhere. So I headed for the door)

Me: (over my shoulder) I guess folks that do their best to obey therules aren't welcome here.

MK

imported post

Did they even realize that you were in compliance with their signage?

Big Boy

imported post

Probably not. Most people who put up no CCW signs think they have stated "No guns at all, no way, no how"

I doubt she would have ever even realized that you were completely obeying the sign by carrying openly unless you spelled it out for her.

I got gas the other day from caseys in Grain Valley. Don't know if there was a sign or not, but, no body said anything.

I'm not even sure that many people notice the gun on my hip. The most I've ever had happen was when I was in a wallgreens, an associate I was just by called a manager, and the manager looked over at me. End of story.

Big Boy

imported post

I guess it's a personal choice, but I don't know that intentionally trying to piss people off (which we know going past those signs will do) is the best idea for OC

silo

imported post

Big Boy wrote:
I guess it's a personal choice, but I don't know that intentionally trying to piss people off (which we know going past those signs will do) is the best idea for OC

I would tend to agree, except that it does force them to confront you, giving you the opportunity to give them the best line ever: "Criminals aren't going to care what your sign says, and you're barring perfectly good citizens who may be willing to defend you if you get robbed." Don't pass up the opportunity to enlighten them, and maybe they'll take the sign down. Considering there's already a sign up, there's little to nothing to lose by going in with it OC.

MK

imported post

If the sign says that concealed firearms are prohibited, than I see no problem at all with going into a business carrying openly.

Are we supposed to guess that signs mean more than they say? What if some of these businesses really don't like concealed and wish for their customers to carry openly instead?

Its not your fault that other people are ignorant. If we all were to just hide ourselves from other people's own stupidity and opinions, we wouldn't even be discussing open carry because none of us would be doing it in the first place.

zekester

imported post

give them this

attachment.php