• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No firearms at Lake Wilderness in Maple Valley, eh?

Aaron1124

imported post

http://www.maplevalleywa.gov/index.aspx?page=111

Park Rules

Lake Wilderness Parks is open 7:00 a.m. to dusk year round. The public is reminded that fireworks, firearms and weapons, open fires, alcohol and drugs are not allowed in the Park; and domestic animals must be on leashes.

The park swimming area opens for the season in mid-June with the start of the lifeguarding program. Lifeguards are on duty 7 days a week from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. through Labor Day.

For questions or concerns regarding the Park Rules please contact the Parks & Recreation Department at (425) 432-9953.

Aaron1124

imported post

hrlysef wrote:
They are, it was repealed by MV ordinance O-09-384 in order to bring into line with state law, effective June 29, 2009.
Probably just haven't updated their website then. I remember last year, they had a no firearms sign. Not sure if it's still there or not

Aaron1124

imported post

My email:

Mr. Greg Brown,

My name is Aaron Braun. I am contacting you regarding a specific rule I came across on http://www.maplevalleywa.gov/index.aspx?page=111. I was browsing the site, looking for a place to spend this 4th of July with my family, and I came across a line that states "Lake Wilderness Parks is open 7:00 a.m. to dusk year round. The public is reminded that fireworks, firearms and weapons, open fires, alcohol and drugs are not allowed in the Park; and domestic animals must be on leashes."

I was curious if Maple Valley actually has a specific ordinance prohibiting the lawful carry of firearms in Lake Wilderness Park. I ask, because Washington State Preemption (RCW 9.41.290) states the following

"The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state, including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale, acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW 9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule status of such city, town, county, or municipality."

(RCW 9.41.300 can be found here http://apps.leg.wa.gov/Rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300) and does not list city parks as an "off limits" area for the lawful carry of firearms by citizens. I just thought I'd bring this up to see if I can get any further clarification on it, as I noticed you are the Parks and Recreations Director.

Thanks a lot for your time, and I hope things are well!

-Aaron Braun-

Aaron1124

Well I never received a response, but I viewed their website today, and they removed "firearms" from the list of items that are prohibited. My email probably served as a reminder to update their info.

devildoc5

thats good they removed that, and I might just be nitpicking here a little bit.

but MOST UNEDUCATED people dont know that there is a distinction between a firearm and a weapon. That being said it looks like it still allows for easy tattle-telling by "concerned" parents and a lot of uneasiness and hassle for an open carrier.

Again just being nitpicky but that is my $.02

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran

but MOST UNEDUCATED people dont know that there is a distinction between a firearm and a weapon. That being said it looks like it still allows for easy tattle-telling by "concerned" parents and a lot of uneasiness and hassle for an open carrier.

But the second amendment covers more than just guns. It covers ARMS, of which knives, swords, cannons, etc would be included.

Aaron1124

Their law should state "unlawful weapons" if they're going to say anything at all.

Dementia

I am new to the open carry thing as I prefer cc let me know if support is needed, m1gunner you already know from other communication I will be there

amlevin

I just ignore these signs. They will probably stay up with the error in place until the sign has to be replaced. None of these departments have the money in the budget for new signs today.

Trying to have a meaningful discussion with any government drone on how they are "illegal" is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I just don't waste any more of my time doing so.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
However....

I just ignore these signs. They will probably stay up with the error in place until the sign has to be replaced. None of these departments have the money in the budget for new signs today.

Trying to have a meaningful discussion with any government drone on how they are "illegal" is like having a battle of wits with an unarmed person. I just don't waste any more of my time doing so.

However, it is good form to write the letters (emails), speak at the council meeting and put it on the public record!

It is also excellent practice for the OC crowd to fine tune our writing and debating skills. :rolleyes:

amzbrady

I guess even a frozen leg of lamb could be a weapon according to Hitchcock.

knight_308

Just noticed today that they still have signs up that say no firearms. The sign is the big one on the path from the parking lot past the two picnic shelters as you head toward the playground.

knight_308

I emailed the city attorney and parks director about this.

Mr. Brown and Ms. Todd,

I am writing to point out an error in your posted park rules at Lake
Wilderness. Both on a sign posted on the path entering the park and on
your website (http://www.maplevalleywa.gov/index.aspx?page=111) you
state that weapons are not permitted. This is in violation of
Washington's preemption statute, RCW 9.41.290, which states:

"The state of Washington hereby fully occupies and preempts the entire
field of firearms regulation within the boundaries of the state,
including the registration, licensing, possession, purchase, sale,
acquisition, transfer, discharge, and transportation of firearms, or any
other element relating to firearms or parts thereof, including
ammunition and reloader components. Cities, towns, and counties or other
municipalities may enact only those laws and ordinances relating to
firearms that are specifically authorized by state law, as in RCW
9.41.300, and are consistent with this chapter. Such local ordinances
shall have the same penalty as provided for by state law. Local laws and
ordinances that are inconsistent with, more restrictive than, or exceed
the requirements of state law shall not be enacted and are preempted and
repealed, regardless of the nature of the code, charter, or home rule
status of such city, town, county, or municipality."

I hope that you will correct both your website, signs, and any lingering
local codes that are outside of state law. Thank you,

I received this response:

Mr. XXXXX,

Thank you for your email.

The City Council repealed the prohibition on firearms in June, 2009, via
Ordinance O-09-384. Unfortunately, our park signage has not caught up to
that change. Our website has been corrected.

The Parks Department hopes to have its signage amended before the end of
this year. Please be aware that the City still prohibits certain
dangerous weapons, pursuant to municipal code provisions which adopt
state law: MVMC 9.05.380, which adopts RCW 9.41.230, .240, .250, .260,
.270, .280. We appreciate your patience as we work on amending our park
signage.

Regards, Christy

Christy A. Todd
City Attorney
City of Maple Valley
22017 SE Wax Road, Suite 200
P.O. Box 320
Maple Valley, WA 98038
(425) 413-6623 (direct line)
(425) 413-8800 (reception)
(425) 413-4282 City Hall fax
christy.todd@maplevalleywa.gov

The park rules previously read:

Lake Wilderness Parks is open 7:00 a.m. to dusk year round. The public is reminded that fireworks, weapons, open fires, camping, and alcohol and drugs are not allowed in the Park; and domestic animals must be on leashes.

Now they read:

Lake Wilderness Parks is open 7:00 a.m. to dusk year round. The public is reminded that fireworks, DANGEROUS weapons (as defined by RCW 9.41.250), open fires, camping, and alcohol and drugs are not allowed in the Park; and domestic animals must be on leashes.

Now they just need to fix the sign. :)