Thread: Thank God for Virginia

Post imported post

A few weeks back, my Marine Corps Basic School Class from 1971 had a reunion at Quantico. None us changed a bit nor gained any weight.

Anyway, a friend of mine from Hawaii stayed a weekpast the reunionand he and I toured some of the Civil War battlefields.

I Open Carried and he was quite impressed that I could do so with nary a frown from anyone, even from LEO's that we saw. We stopped in several restaurants with no problems.

Now he informs me that he is going to try to get a permit to carry in Hawaii. I wished him luck.

My brothers still live in Maryland, where I am from, and they are always jealous that Virginia has not trampled all over our God given rights, like they have in Maryland.

If I ever have to move to another State, it will be one that received an "F" rating from Sarah Brady.

Post imported post

Living in a state that gets a 0 out of 100 from the Brady Campaign for Global Genocide makes me very happy.

Post imported post

I love Virginia

It's myabsolute favorite state.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Hear, hear.

Had a nice discussion yesterday with a transplanted New Yorker. I was working the VCDL table at the Fredericksburg gun show, and this gent started asking questions about Virginia laws.

His eyes got big and wide when we talked about OC with no permit.

He was already impressed that his DD214 would serve as proof of training.

He was thrilled to learn that most training courses here (the ones the cover laws, not shooting) were less than the $300-400 he expected to spend.

I think we have another happy transplant!
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Good luck to your friend from HI getting a carry permit. To my knowledge, there has never been once issued to a citizen in HI who didn't require it for their job (bank courier, jeweler, pharmacist, security guard, etc). Self Defense is not a recognized reason in HI for a CC permit, and OC is not legal at all.

Several years ago, the sister of a Sheriff was issued a concealed carry permit, and there was such a hullaballo in the media that they had to revoke it...

Any state with a "one star" rating or lower from the Brady Campaign is my favorite state. I travel to VA every month or so, and ALWAYS OC there, and never have an issue...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I'm currently looking for work after college I guess I will have to see, about VA. I noticed this while wondering what states I need to avoid other than Kali, and NY. I currently live in OH, just got my CC a week ago, had a friend pissed that I drove home to grab a propane tank to refill and my 9mm since well now it is legal for me to drive with it loaded.

I like the idea of using Brady's rating system. I have been told I'm stupid for avoiding Kali since there is A LOT of opportunity in my field but I don't feel the oppression of my rights is worth it.

Post imported post

When I lived in VA in the early 80's I OCed everywhere I went and even while on motorcycle. The police I encountered all took my OC in stride and never had the least bit of a problem. One off-duty deputy in Fredericksburg saw me OCing in the mall and invited me to shoot attheir gun range. You can't get any friendlier that that.
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

Post imported post

I was visiting my daughters and granddaughter in MD this past weekend.

Of course, I was OCing for most of the trip up and back from NC, but I had to do the "border dance" when I reached the VA/MD line, and unload and properly store my firearms per FOPA, and then leave them in the house while I was in MD.

But you better believe that soon as I crossed back into VA on the trip home, I hit the first VA exit on I-95, and promptly took my Para out of its safe, and put it where it rightfully belongs--in a Serpa CQC on my hip...

OC'd through VA (made several stops--fuel, rest stop, Gander Mountain north of Richmond), and a few stops in NC (rest stop, munchie stop), and GREATLY enjoyed my freedom, and the fact that these states (unlike MD) actually treat their residents as CITIZENS, not subjects...

If I didn't have family that I love and care for very much in MD, I would never set foot in that god-forsaken state...

It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

stewie-Y wrote:
    Living in a state that gets a 0 out of 100 from the Brady Campaign for Global Genocide makes me very happy.
    I'm not sure I understand the rating system that Brady uses. SC has a "worse" rating (in their view) than VA and NC, but OC is illegal in SC...

Funny thing about the Brady Scorecard--if you lay their state ranking list right next to the Homicide ranking list put out by the USDOJ or CDC, they line up pretty closely--the highest rated Brady states (with the most oppressive gun laws) have the highest homicide rates. And I find it curious that the Brady Campaign never includes Washington DC in this list. Sure DC isn't a state, but I think they would rate 5 stars on the Brady list, and would also be in the top 10 for homicides/100,000 population.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows, folks...

It's obvious that Brady Campaign isn't so much concerned with reducing handgun deaths, as they are with INCREASING the ability for criminals, thugs, hoodlems and madmen from practicing their "craft" without fear of any sort of response from law-abiding citizens. The Brady Campaign is ACTUALLY a well-disguised trade union for criminals, working to provide their constituents with "safe working conditions"...

I may have to make up a PDF with those two lists side-by-side and put it on my "Scribd" site...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964