• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on AMTRAK?

Aaron1124

imported post

I know AMTRAK Trains are government owned, and they currently have a policy against carrying any firearms or ammunition on board an AMTRAK train. Is there currently a law that prohibits this? Is there anything pending to allow future riders to carry on board?

glock23

imported post

The law was changed awhile ago, they have until the end of the year to let you travel with a firearm onto a train. You have to stow it with the rest of your baggage, you will not beabe to have it with your carry-on, again they have until the end of the year to get this going..

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267293829

Firearms in Checked Baggage
The Departments of Transportation and Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Act of 2010, enacted into law on December 16, 2009, requires Amtrak to implement the procedures necessary to provide storage and carriage of firearms in checked baggage cars and at Amtrak stations that accept checked baggage, within one year of the bill’s enactment. This requirement applies solely to checked baggage, not carry-on baggage.

Amtrak’s current policy prohibits all firearms, ammunition and other weapons aboard its trains. This includes any being carried on the person, in carry-on baggage or in checked baggage. Please be advised that this policy remains in effect until Amtrak begins firearm carriage service by December 2010.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
I know AMTRAK Trains are government owned, and they currently have a policy against carrying any firearms or ammunition on board an AMTRAK train. Is there currently a law that prohibits this? Is there anything pending to allow future riders to carry on board?

Here was my take on it a few months ago: http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m9d19-Virginia-OKs-gun-carry-on-trains

SNIP

However, as is the case in vehicle or foot travel, nobody commits a crime under federal law (unless you count DC law) for merely traveling the country while carrying your loaded gun on AMTRAK. And while this may violate AMTRAK's non-criminal "rules," these rules are constitutionally questionable under the US Supreme Court's decision in Lebron v. National R.R. Passenger Corp., 513 U.S. 374 (1995)(holding that where the Government creates a corporation by special law (i.e., AMTRAK) for the furtherance of governmental objectives, and retains for itself permanent authority to appoint a majority of that corporation's directors, the corporation is part of the Government for purposes of the First Amendment).

Interestingly, the AMTRAK rules only purport to ban carry of guns in "checked and carry-on baggage," not handguns carried on your person. AMTRAK further warrants that any passenger may refuse search or ID checks and "and a refund will be offered."

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Mike wrote:
Aaron1124 wrote:

Here was my take on it a few months ago: http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m9d19-Virginia-OKs-gun-carry-on-trains

SNIP

However, as is the case in vehicle or foot travel, nobody commits a crime under federal law (unless you count DC law) for merely traveling the country while carrying your loaded gun on AMTRAK. And while this may violate AMTRAK's non-criminal "rules," these rules are constitutionally questionable under the US Supreme Court's decision in Lebron v. National R.R. Passenger Corp., 513 U.S. 374 (1995) (holding that where the Government creates a corporation by special law (i.e., AMTRAK) for the furtherance of governmental objectives, and retains for itself permanent authority to appoint a majority of that corporation's directors, the corporation is part of the Government for purposes of the First Amendment).

Interestingly, the AMTRAK rules only purport to ban carry of guns in "checked and carry-on baggage," not handguns carried on your person. AMTRAK further warrants that any passenger may refuse search or ID checks and "and a refund will be offered."
Excellent News!

DaemonForce

imported post

I seriously don't understand this. They have a law in place that prohibits the carry of firearms in checked baggage? What?

They have to come to a decision at the end of the year that changes this at the cost of destroying their service? What what what? This doesn't make any sense. If the trak operates with similar guidelines of airlines, we wouldn't see a problem.