• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Star Telegram - Gun-rights advocates pushing for open carry law in Texas

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/05/22/2209564/gun-rights-advocates-pushing-for.html

SNIP

By ANNA M. TINSLEY

Texas is considered to have some of the most permissive gun laws in the nation, but gun-rights advocates are making it one of their top political targets because it is one of a handful of states that don't allow handguns to be carried openly.

"It's shocking that Texas, with its history of rugged individualism that the state symbolizes, doesn't allow open carry," said John Pierce, a co-founder of and spokesman for http://www.OpenCarry.org. If the Legislature doesn't approve an open-carry bill when it convenes in January, "then we'll see them in 2013," Pierce said, referring to that session of the Legislature.
. . .
Texas -- where it's still not unusual in some areas to see shotguns and rifles on gun racks in pickups -- is one of seven states -- the others are Arkansas, Florida, Illinois, New York, Oklahoma and South Carolina, plus Washington, D.C. -- without an open-carry law.
This month, Oklahoma lawmakers overwhelmingly approved an open-carry bill, only to have it vetoed by Democratic Gov. Brad Henry. The battle there continues as the House fell just short Thursday in a vote to override the veto. Legislators say they may try another override in the closing days of their session this week.

. . .

The idea of open carry was discussed in the Texas Capitol in 2009 and is expected -- along with other measures to expand Texans' gun rights -- to come up again when lawmakers get back to work in January.
Days gone by?
In Texas, more than 65,000 people have signed an online petition asking Gov. Rick Perry and the Legislature to make Texas an open-carry state. Perry says he won't rule it out.

"The governor believes our concealed-carry law works for Texas and that a person ought to be able to carry their weapon with them anywhere in the state if they are licensed and have gone through the training," Perry's spokeswoman Allison Castle said. "He would be open to looking at any proposals lawmakers bring to the table regarding open carry. I suppose we've got what you could call a Texas open carry since you can hang your rifle in the window of your pickup truck."
. . .

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

"Open Carry" is needed here in Texas so we don't end up like Arizona-ICE said that they don't want to pick up people that are to be turned over to them because of Illegal Immigration issues! These Illegals are bringing Drugs, Killings, Kidknappings etc. along with them and we don't want any part of it!

ampcptlogic

imported post

Perry's statement about Texas-style open carry seems like a bit of a cop-out to me. What good does a rifle or shotgun hanging in the back window of a pickup do the driver once he or she leaves the vehicle? As long as the disorderly conduct law is written the way it is, long gun carry will be technically legal but functionally illegal in many local jurisdictions. The Second Amendment Marchers in Austin, for example, had to leave their long guns behind for that very reason. We need to fix that, too. Perhaps fixing it will pave the way to true open carry.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I like the term "constitutional carry" too - of course, the TX constitution recognizes no such right.

It's a pipe dream, I realize, but I would love to see the TXconstitution amended to recognize a full right - rather than be a ghost of the IL constitution.

Then - no further need for an "open carry law".

txn4opencarry

imported post

i want open carry here in texas for lots of reasons mainly so when iam in walmart or where ever if i accidentally expose my concealed handgun by reaching up on the top shelf to get something or whatever i wont go to jail :dude:

ampcptlogic

imported post

BB62 wrote:
I like the term "constitutional carry" too - of course, the TX constitution recognizes no such right.

It's a pipe dream, I realize, but I would love to see the TXconstitution amended to recognize a full right - rather than be a ghost of the IL constitution.

Then - no further need for an "open carry law".
Could you favor us with a brief comparison of the two state's constitutions approaches to the subject of RKBA?

ampcptlogic

imported post

I see what you mean. Our state's RKBA language is weaker than Illinois'. The absence of the US Constitution's 'shall not be infringed' language is worrisome, as is the Legislature's power to regulate the wearing of arms. They could regulate things to back the way they were before Luby's.

helidude

imported post

thats why they have the ladders with the sign get an associate to help you.

your clint eastwood 44mag will stick out of your daisy duke shorts and halter top when you reach for the can of soup on the top shelf

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Due to the fact that this is an ELECTION YEAR, we stand a better chance of getting this LAW PASSED, especially with the current ADMINISTRATION, everybody is scurrying for votes so they can keep gainfully employed! If this issue is not "CLOUDED" by other related issues like the last time our chances will be greatly increased!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I really feel for y'all in Texas. I was stationed there for 5 years and my son is a Native Texan (born in Houston). I had a CHP and always worried about an inadvertent brandishing charge if I had ever come "untucked".

I read another thread about someone in Texas that didn't mind CC, but was against OC because they didn't want "to havepeople walking the aisles of WalMart with guns"

THE HORROR!

I OC in WallyWorld several times a day and rarely even get a second glance. Texas needs to remember it's history. What would have happened in 1835 if Texans had to take a course on safety, conflict resolution and 30-06 signs? It would be the northern-most state in MEXICO, that's what...

You're all in my thoughts and prayers. Ya'll come visit Virginia this summer. Folks here think its hot & humid, but I think its more like Houston in January. You'll love it and you can even get some practice Open Carrying while you're here. The BBQ ain't quite as good, neither is the Tex-Mex food, but we certainly have RIGHTS freely and openly exercised. We have a lot of cool historical stuff, too. My kids sure miss "Go Texan Day" in school and the morning announcements... National Anthem, Pledge of Allegiance (in ENGLISH) and the TEXAS Pledge... Priceless.

Jack House

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I really feel for y'all in Texas. I was stationed there for 5 years and my son is a Native Texan (born in Houston). I had a CHP and always worried about an inadvertent brandishing charge if I had ever come "untucked".
I pretty much want OC for the same reasons. I think it's stupid I can walk around with a rifle or shotgun strapped to my back but not a handgun. :banghead: