• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Orange County Register - Another family friendly open carry event in the OC

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.ocregister.com/news/center-250015-group-rights.html

Gun rights to be on display in Lake Forest on Sunday

Orange County Register (CA) May 23, 2010

Erika I. Ritchie

LAKE FOREST - Expect to see a group of people carrying unloaded guns and handing out information about 2nd Amendment rights in Foothill Towne Center and at the Home Depot Shopping Center on El Toro Road Sunday.

The group of about 10, led by Bob, expects to meet at the food court in Towne Center at about noon. Then they'll head to the Home Depot center around 1 p.m. They plan to shop and walk around at each location for about an hour.

. . .

"We want to revive the American tradition of open carry and to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights to own and carry arms," Serrao, of Irvine, said. "It's a way to educate people ... to help them retrust guns."

Serrao attended a recent City Council meeting to announce the group's intentions. Police also have been notified.

. . .

oc4ever

imported post

I appreciate the work all of those of you that attend these events do. But if you know you are going to get e-checked and held in a restraint hold (Like the picture of B.S. in the OC Register article)while it is being done, why do you do this?. The LEO"s are not required to do inspect, it is just a option. The inspection is just as bad as stopping every car to make sure we all have proper insurance. It is a form of screwing with you. If you are communicating and organizing this event with the LEO's ahead of time, why did the Tustin PD do this? I could see picking one random OC'er to check and they should then move on. Lining up like a bunch of sheep to be weapon searched/inspected at a organized pre announched function, like was done in Ocesanside also, is harrasment. The Laguna Beach meetup had no visible police presence, the police were told in advance, and went off without a hitch. Maybe other OC police departments should take notice that they don't need to go "hands on" with law obeying citizens making a public statement that have broken no laws.

demnogis

imported post

oc4ever wrote:
I appreciate the work all of those of you that attend these events do. But if you know you are going to get e-checked and held in a restraint hold (Like the picture of B.S. in the OC Register article)while it is being done, why do you do this?. The LEO"s are not required to do inspect, it is just a option. The inspection is just as bad as stopping every car to make sure we all have proper insurance. It is a form of screwing with you. If you are communicating and organizing this event with the LEO's ahead of time, why did the Tustin PD do this? I could see picking one random OC'er to check and they should then move on. Lining up like a bunch of sheep to be weapon searched/inspected at a organized pre announched function, like was done in Ocesanside also, is harrasment. The Laguna Beach meetup had no visible police presence, the police were told in advance, and went off without a hitch. Maybe other OC police departments should take notice that they don't need to go "hands on" with law obeying citizens making a public statement that have broken no laws.
Hoping to schedule a meetup in Costa Mesa where I had a real negative LEO encounter and was banned from the South Coast shopping center for life... for doing nothing wrong.

A ECNALG

imported post

oc4ever wrote:

That's right, it's their option, not ours.

For as long as they have the authority, and for as long as we orchestrate group UOC awareness promotion events, we are just going to have to accept this as thecost of doing business.

Why did Tustin PD do this? As it occured a short time after departing a Lowe's (where I not only made a purchase, but responded to the cashier's and another customer's query with the offer of a tri-fold...to which some assistant manager-type objected to as "soliciting"), I can only theorize that a call was made at or near this time.

The sergeant and officer actually e-inspected only two of the three who were carrying "REAL" firearms. The sergeant was most appreciative of our efforts at advance notice, and the inspection was really just a formality, more than anything else. Harassment? I don't see this particular contact that way. Actually, I see it as a beneficial experience for the newbies, popping their cherries, if I may be so crude.

And come on, Oceanside was a hoot ! If you really want to complain, perhaps you should have been there with us in San Pedro.....

As for the inspecting Officer and his choice of control method, well, perhaps he is just fresh out of the Academy andwas "going by the book." Actually, I have other issues withan aspectof the inspection, but I will not go into them at this time.

Overall, we had a good day and the great fortune of positive media coverage, for once.

oc4ever

imported post

A ECNALG, holding your hands so you can not move is way into"detention"land, and far past "inspection" as the law allows. Maybe they should give a quick tazer shot so you can't go for the weapon, or maybe a chokehold would be quicker until you regain feeling and wake up. I know this is exagerated, and the LEO's set the level of force, but what limits to a weapon inspection? Is a control hold really necessary given they were notified in advance of this event? I think not.

Why not mention what went wrong that your are holding back? Not trying to stir the pot, just it offends me that OCer's are treated like this and don't complain about unnecessary police force being used. There is almost no reason a police officer shold be putting his hands on me if I have not broken any laws.

A ECNALG

imported post

Recall your first question?

"But if you know you are going to get e-checked and held in a restraint hold (Like the picture of B.S. in the OC Register article)while it is being done, why do you do this?."

Well, as each LE contact is unique, we really don't know that we are going to get e-checked, or held in a restraint hold, or Terry searched, or handcuffed, or proned out at gunpoint, or. . .?

As to why we do this? Seems to me the alternatives are either to do the events withno advance courtesy notification, or not do them at all. And that includes solo UOC.

Group events serve no purpose other than promoting awareness of UOC. Awareness on the part of the general public, and awareness on the part of professional law enforcement. It's about public and law enforcement relations. UOC is still in its infancy here in California, and Orange County in particular, so, perhaps I'm one of those who are not so hardcore that I am not willing to cut the cops a little slack as they perform their duties. They are as much on a learning curve as aremany of usUOCers.

Was I happy with their use of therestraint hold despite the earlier efforts to calm their fears? Of course not.

Is it possible that the presence of local news media provided incentive for the restraint hold? Perhaps.

Was the very briefuse of the restraint holdwhile withdrawing the firearms from their holsterslawful, or even necessary?As the officers expressed neither probable cause nor reasonable suspicion of a crime having eitherbeen committed or criminality being afoot, probably not. Certainly neither Oceanside (prior notification)nor Huntington Beach (no prior notification) police last year felt the need to do so. And again, I must stress that only two of the three UOCers in Tustin had their firearms inspected.

And if the officer's actions of physical contact did exceed his authority, then an internal review of his and the sergeant's incident reports will hopefully result in a corrective action without our having to stomp our feetover how offended we were.

As to the other matter of concern to me, once I can get my video to a certain other member of this forum for posting, it should be clear as to what I am refering (sorry to be so cryptic).

oc4ever

imported post

Thanks for the detailed explanation and response. I am not trying to escalate any anti LEO feelings, I just would be offended if this was done to me at a planned public meeting when the LEO's have been notified of a OC event in advance. Just because the press shows up, the Tustin Police Officer, with a supervisory Sargeant watching, does not have to make the world a safer place by jacking you up unnecessarily for the entertainment value of the audience.

A ECNALG

imported post

Mike wrote:

Erika I. Ritchie

LAKE FOREST - Expect to see a group of people carrying unloaded guns and handing out information about 2nd Amendment rights in Foothill Towne Center and at the Home Depot Shopping Center on El Toro Road Sunday.

The group of about 10, led by Bob, expects to meet at the food court in Towne Center at about noon. Then they'll head to the Home Depot center around 1 p.m. They plan to shop and walk around at each location for about an hour.

"We want to revive the American tradition of open carry and to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights to own and carry arms," Serrao, of Irvine, said. "It's a way to educate people ... to help them retrust guns."

Serrao attended a recent City Council meeting to announce the group's intentions. Police also have been notified.
The five UOCers are joined in this photo byonefella who read onlineabout this event that very morning, and two others who expressed their support of open carry...one of whombeing a sergeant for an out-of-state sheriff's department.

Don Tomas

imported post

A ECNALG wrote:
Mike wrote:

Erika I. Ritchie

The five UOCers are joined in this photo byonefella who read onlineabout this event that very morning, and two others who expressed their support of open carry...one of whombeing a sergeant for an out-of-state sheriff's department.
Any more Orange County events planned that you're aware of?

A ECNALG

imported post

Don Tomas wrote:
Any more Orange County events planned that you're aware of?

Nothing on the burner as yet for our group, although the ball has been handed to one particular member to select a site and date.

As for anyone else outside our group planning an event, I learn of them as they are posted to this forum. The group I am with avoids posting only so that we may control the number or participants. However, I do make note of those who express interest and will PM them an invitation when conditions permit.

ryanmp1986

Costa Mesa Event

oc4ever wrote:
Hoping to schedule a meetup in Costa Mesa where I had a real negative LEO encounter and was banned from the South Coast shopping center for life... for doing nothing wrong.

When you do this can you let me know!! I want to get involved. I pick up my handgun Sept. 19th.

Thanks,
Mike
ryanmp1986@yahoo.com