• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Discharging firearm in a park?

riverrat10k

imported post

Reminds me of a story from a few years ago.

Wife's family reunion at Rockwood Park, off Courthouse Road in Chesterfield County.

Day after the first cold night of Fall. Saw no less than a dozen copperheads that had crawled out of the woods to warm themselves on the paved hiking trails. Have never seen this many poisonous snakes in one day before or since.

I think one of her cousins procured some new boot-making material.

Hundreds of folks use that park every day, especially in the summer. If only they knew what lurked in the woods! Other than that one day, I can count on one hand the number of poisonous snakes I have seen in the wild over a 40 year period.

No need to kill the snakes, unless they become a problem near your house. Even then, I would ask one "why did you move to the country if you don't like wildlife"?

Jim Thorpe

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I was out at the Bennett's Creek Park in Suffolk today playing disc golf with some friends. Most of the course runs through the woods, on trails. While we were playing today, there was a huge cottonmouth snake right in the middle of one of the trails. It was acting pretty aggressive, and my friends dog almost ran right over it. I'm glad that nobody in our group got attacked, but I'm very worried about other people who play the course, especially the children.

My question is, would it be ok to shoot the snake in a situation like this, or even if it was on the side of the trail, where somebody could get bitten? Whenever I play, I carry a little .22 magnum NAA mini revolver, loaded with CCI shotshells, specifically for situations like this. I didn't shoot it since I didn't know if it was legal or not, so that's why I'm asking. It was in the woods, and there wasn't anybody around for a good distance.

So, what's the proper action to take in a situation like this? Could I dispatch the snake? Would I have to report it to a park ranger after I shot it? Any information would be helpful.
omg, this comment just made me laugh out loud. I mean no disrespect, but it just hilarious. "My question is, would it be ok to shoot the snake in a situation like this?" hahaha. Dude, I can just imagine you looking for a reason to unload on something.