• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about OC

TyNV

imported post

Hello guys, I have a question on what I need to OC. I'm 19 and I know you have to be 21 to own the handgun. It says I need written consent from the owner to carry whatever firearm I have on me. So, my question is. What kind of written consent do I need to posses? Is there some special paper work or can my dad just write a letter saying I'm allowed to carry the gun?

Thanks, TyNV

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TyNV wrote:
Hello guys, I have a question on what I need to OC. I'm 19 and I know you have to be 21 to own the handgun. It says I need written consent from the owner to carry whatever firearm I have on me. So, my question is. What kind of written consent do I need to posses? Is there some special paper work or can my dad just write a letter saying I'm allowed to carry the gun?

Thanks, TyNV
You do not have to be 21 to own a handgun - you must be 21 to purchase from a FFL.
http://www.opencarry.org/privatetransfers.html

The minimum age to OC is 18 years old and doing so does not require written parental permission.
http://www.opencarry.org/nv.html

Yata hey

vegasche1023

imported post

I've been carrying since I turned 18(my mom bought me the gun). The first post is 100% correct. Word of advice if you plan on carrying. Don't dress like a thug, don't act like a dick, and make sure your friends behave appropriately when you are with them.

TyNV

imported post

Good thing I don't dress like a thug and I'm respectful. On the other hand, my friends don't always act mature when I'm out with them. guess I'll just have to OC when I'm not with them. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks, TyNV

TyNV

imported post

cabbitone wrote:
The problem with the friend situation, you may be OCing not out with friends say at the mall(kids still go to the mall?), and you run into a friend(or friends) then you're in the aforementioned situation where you're OCing with less than mature company.

Is it possible for you to get a CHL(whatever your state calls its concealed carry permit) where you could OC and just incase the situation happens you'd be able to transition to concealed carry?

You could always also try to help your friends understand the situation and maybe they'd act a little more mature on your behalf, though it would sure scare me to be relying on other people when life and freedom are on the line.
I'm not able to get a Concealed Carry permit yet, but, I do understand what you're trying to say about running into a friend somewhere. Guess I'd just have to talk with them so they understand the situation.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TyNV wrote:
cabbitone wrote:
The problem with the friend situation, you may be OCing not out with friends say at the mall(kids still go to the mall?), and you run into a friend(or friends) then you're in the aforementioned situation where you're OCing with less than mature company.

Is it possible for you to get a CHL(whatever your state calls its concealed carry permit) where you could OC and just incase the situation happens you'd be able to transition to concealed carry?

You could always also try to help your friends understand the situation and maybe they'd act a little more mature on your behalf, though it would sure scare me to be relying on other people when life and freedom are on the line.
I'm not able to get a Concealed Carry permit yet, but, I do understand what you're trying to say about running into a friend somewhere. Guess I'd just have to talk with them so they understand the situation.
Therein lies one of the tenets of OCDO - to educate. :D

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cabbitone wrote:
Time to start hosting public education classes?
Many in Virginia, Pennsylvania and numerous other states do that daily. :lol:

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

cabbitone wrote:
Maybe that is something we need in TX to inform the sheeple about OC. :question:
Heck even getting more CHL instructors and Gun Store owners on board with the idea would help tremendously.
Its the old debate between which came first - the chicken or the egg.

First OC needs to become legal in Texas.

First the people need to get solidly behind the effort.

First you need elected officials that are pro and have a backbone.

Really don't care which comes first - just needs doing.
Actually, I believe OC will happen in Texas. It is not a matter of "if" but "when."

Yata hey