View Poll Results: Say you are stopped after a self-defense shooting. To what extent do you talk to the cops?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Say nothing more than is required by law (usually name and address).

39 67.24%
  • Tell the LEOs what happened and that you feared for your life.

18 31.03%
  • Tell the LEOs all the details you believe he needs to know to call it self-defense.

1 1.72%
  • Answer all questions the LEO asks as fully and honestly as possible.

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talk to the cops?

Banned

Post imported post

We have another thread (actually two) where folks are arguing over whether to talk to the cops when stopped in general or specifically after a self-defense action.

So, here is the question: Say you are stopped after a self-defense shooting. [On edit: You are the self-defense shooter.] To what extent do you talk to the cops?

Say nothing more than is required by law (usually, name and address).

Tell the LEOs what happened and that you feared for your life.

Tell the LEOs all the details you believe he needs to know to call it self-defense.

Answer all questions the LEO asks as fully and honestly as possible.

I'll leave the poll up for about a week. There is no need to explain your answer. We already have two threads on this.

Regular Member Brimstone Baritone's Avatar

Post imported post

You didn't specify whether you are the shooter, so I have two answers. If I'm the shooter I won't be 'stopped', I'll be the one calling 911.:P

"What's your emergency"
    - I was attacked by a man/woman/child/animal and I was so afraid for my life that I had to shoot. Please send a cop and an ambulance.

If I'm a witness, and I'm stopped for questioning, it will be more like this:

"Can you tell me what you saw?"
    - I'm still a little shook up, officer. I want to help, but I need to calm down and talk to my lawyer first. Can I get your card or some other way to get in touch with you? Am I free to leave?
    There was a time that the pieces fit, but I watched them fall away, mildewed and smoldering, strangled by our coveting. I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing. Doomed to crumble, unless we grow and strengthen our communication. -Tool, "Schism"

Banned

Post imported post

You are the self-defense shooter.

Post imported post

I'd state that it was a self-defense shooting, in addition to my name, but provide no other details without an attorney.

Post imported post

I need an ambulance, I need an officer, I was in fear for my life I had to shoot please send an ambulance

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I may not be able to talk to the police after a SD shooting.

Concidering the enormous adrenaline rush Imight experience (assuming that my worn out body can still produce that stuff) I may not be in any condition to speek at all.

There's also the possibility that I may have life threatening wounds of my own that will need immediate attention.

Post imported post

Since any and all statements can, and will be, interpreted in whatever manner the potential prosecution wishes, it is best to keep your mouth shut after maybe giving a very brief dissertation to police:

"Sir, I mean you no disrespect, but other than my name and address, I have been advised to speak to nobody but my attorney in regards to any and all legal matters. Thanks!".

No need to be an ass towards them. Just simply let them know you have nothing to say to them. If they continue to poke, and prod, then merely smile and repeat "Sir, I have nothing to say to you. I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but I will not respond to your prompting or questions.".

If they take that as an insult, then that is their problem, not yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.

Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

None of the above.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

None of the above. Something more like:

"Officer,that manthere (point to man) attacked me with that knife there (point to weapon).Fearing for my life, I shot him in self-defense. I will sign a complaint. I will make a complete statement within 48 hours and after having talked to my attorney."
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:

"Officer,that manthere (point to man) attacked me with that knife there (point to weapon).Fearing for my life, I shot him in self-defense. I will sign a complaint. I will make a complete statement within 48 hours and after having talked to my attorney."
    That's pretty close to the second choice.

To make a list that is mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive would take about 1000 choices and make the poll useless. Folks, I would just ask you to p lease pick the choice that is closest to how you would actually respond, knowing that likely none of the choices nails it perfectly.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    Citizen wrote:

To make a list that is mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive would take about 1000 choices and make the poll useless. Folks, I would just ask you to p lease pick the choice that is closest to how you would actually respond, knowing that likely none of the choices nails it perfectly.
    Makes sense. Even my reply left out telling the cops my name and address, something I would definitely include.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Banned

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    Citizen wrote:

Makes sense. Even my reply left out telling the cops my name and address, something I would definitely include.
    Well, all the replies imply they include all previous replies. It's set up as an increasing scale of "cooperation."

Post imported post

I am afraid to reply for fear of being called arrogant.......again.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

Right after I get off the phone with the 911 dispatcher, I would call a lawyer,,,before the cops show up, I would be lawyered up.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

Banned

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    What you said was called arrogant, because twice you condescendingly held yourself up as some kind of model of knowledge and gave reading assignments. Such posts are arrogant when you have no earthly idea of the experience and the education of the person you are talking down to.

So, knock off the antagonism and reply or don't. No one really cares if you do or not. If you choose not to reply, fine. But, stop making a juvenile show of not responding.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:

Citizen, I agree with this statement (almost 100%)and the pointing, even though others know betterandadvise against making it. Mr. Ayoob has testified at dozens of trials as an expert. What he advises makes sense to me.

About this quote: "Fearing for my life, I shot him in self-defense." Would it not be better to simply say "I was in fear for my life."? Is there any value in admitting to shooting?

Post imported post

eye95 wrote:
    rodbender wrote:
    What you said was called arrogant, because twice you condescendingly held yourself up as some kind of model of knowledge and gave reading assignments. Such posts are arrogant when you have no earthly idea of the experience and the education of the person you are talking down to.

So, knock off the antagonism and reply or don't. No one really cares if you do or not. If you choose not to reply, fine. But, stop making a juvenile show of not responding.
    If what I say is arrogant, doesn't that make me arrogant by default?
    Will Rogers

Banned

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    eye95 wrote:
    rodbender wrote:

If what I say is arrogant, doesn't that make me arrogant by default?
    It is a common mistake for people to assume that someone is defined by a handful of things they say or do. They aren't. Case in point: Very intelligent people say stupid things once in a while. Of course they are not stupid.

Now, if one regularly says arrogant things, one is likely arrogant. Otherwise, probably not.

I am done talking about this. Respond or don't at your choosing.

Post imported post

Done, too.
    Will Rogers

Post imported post

I like what citizen said. Seems to make the most sense.
    HOOAH?

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

25sierraman wrote:
    I like what citizen said. Seems to make the most sense.
    Credit belongs to Massad Ayoob. I'm probably missing something he recommends, though.

Ayoobruns the Lethal Force Institute in New Hampshire. Does training classes around the country.

Wrote the first book on armed self-defense geared specifically to the citizen: In the Gravest Extreme. Available on-line and in many gun stores.

Also has a video out--he taped a portion of one of his classes. Very informative. Judicious Use of Deadly Force. Geared to the armed citizen.

His columns appear in one or two of the big gun magazines. He usually writes about defensive situations. My favorite is his column in Combat Handguns. Each issue he takes up some legal point about defensive shooting. It is literally the only reason I buy the magazine--to read his column.

He also has a column in Backwoods Home Companion or similar named magazine. Many of his columns for that magazine are available at their website.

Former cop, regular expert witness in defensive shooting cases. The guy knows his stuff. One caution I might add, though, is that he seems to often put across his information with a deliberately emotional bent. Not much. Just enough to notice. Personally, I don't care for it. But, I just read around it, looking for the useful information.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Banned

Post imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
    All I know is what not one, but two criminal defense attorneys told me, "Give the police your name and address, then shut up! The only other thing that should come out of your mouth while you are in custody is a request for your attorney."

Both of them said that the DA, not the police, will do his/her best to twist anything you say to the police. I believe that, but I also believe that there are police officers who will put their own spin on anything you say to them concerning a particular event.

Bottom line: Name and address plus a request for a lawyer.
    Well, if they think you are guilty of a crime, I am sure that is kind of the way it is.

But, more precisely, the problem is that their interest is not in protecting your right not to incriminate yourself. It is in obtaining arrests and convictions.

Our justice system is an adversarial system. Why would one do anything to help a potential adversary?

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    Since Ohio is a "must notify" state, that's taken care of for you when you show him your CHL, which I'm sure he'll demand from you.
    --- Gun control: The theory that 110lb. women have the "right" to fistfight with 210lb. rapists.

Post imported post

Say nothing more than is required by law (usually, name and address).
    This is how I voted, but it's hard to say what would happen with adrenaline pumping and possibly shock of what just happened.

In addition to I need an ambulance, and an officer, I would add I want that person arrested for assault.

I'm not sure about needing to give an address. I'm pretty sure in LA, we just have to identify ourselves but not sure during an investigation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast