• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Talk to the cops?

Say you are stopped after a self-defense shooting. To what extent do you talk to the cops?

• Tell the LEOs what happened and that you feared for your life.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell the LEOs all the details you believe he needs to know to call it self-defense.

• Answer all questions the LEO asks as fully and honestly as possible.

• Total voters

eye95

imported post

We have another thread (actually two) where folks are arguing over whether to talk to the cops when stopped in general or specifically after a self-defense action.

So, here is the question: Say you are stopped after a self-defense shooting. [On edit: You are the self-defense shooter.] To what extent do you talk to the cops?

Say nothing more than is required by law (usually, name and address).

Tell the LEOs what happened and that you feared for your life.

Tell the LEOs all the details you believe he needs to know to call it self-defense.

Answer all questions the LEO asks as fully and honestly as possible.

I'll leave the poll up for about a week. There is no need to explain your answer. We already have two threads on this.

Brimstone Baritone

imported post

You didn't specify whether you are the shooter, so I have two answers. If I'm the shooter I won't be 'stopped', I'll be the one calling 911.:p

"What's your emergency"
- I was attacked by a man/woman/child/animal and I was so afraid for my life that I had to shoot. Please send a cop and an ambulance.

If I'm a witness, and I'm stopped for questioning, it will be more like this:

"Can you tell me what you saw?"
- I'm still a little shook up, officer. I want to help, but I need to calm down and talk to my lawyer first. Can I get your card or some other way to get in touch with you? Am I free to leave?

NightOwl

imported post

I'd state that it was a self-defense shooting, in addition to my name, but provide no other details without an attorney.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I may not be able to talk to the police after a SD shooting.

Concidering the enormous adrenaline rush Imight experience (assuming that my worn out body can still produce that stuff) I may not be in any condition to speek at all.

There's also the possibility that I may have life threatening wounds of my own that will need immediate attention.

slowfiveoh

imported post

Since any and all statements can, and will be, interpreted in whatever manner the potential prosecution wishes, it is best to keep your mouth shut after maybe giving a very brief dissertation to police:

"Sir, I mean you no disrespect, but other than my name and address, I have been advised to speak to nobody but my attorney in regards to any and all legal matters. Thanks!".

No need to be an ass towards them. Just simply let them know you have nothing to say to them. If they continue to poke, and prod, then merely smile and repeat "Sir, I have nothing to say to you. I mean no disrespect whatsoever, but I will not respond to your prompting or questions.".

If they take that as an insult, then that is their problem, not yours.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

None of the above. Something more like:

"Officer,that manthere (point to man) attacked me with that knife there (point to weapon).Fearing for my life, I shot him in self-defense. I will sign a complaint. I will make a complete statement within 48 hours and after having talked to my attorney."

eye95

imported post

Citizen wrote:

"Officer,that manthere (point to man) attacked me with that knife there (point to weapon).Fearing for my life, I shot him in self-defense. I will sign a complaint. I will make a complete statement within 48 hours and after having talked to my attorney."
That's pretty close to the second choice.

To make a list that is mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive would take about 1000 choices and make the poll useless. Folks, I would just ask you to p lease pick the choice that is closest to how you would actually respond, knowing that likely none of the choices nails it perfectly.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

eye95 wrote:
Citizen wrote:

To make a list that is mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive would take about 1000 choices and make the poll useless. Folks, I would just ask you to p lease pick the choice that is closest to how you would actually respond, knowing that likely none of the choices nails it perfectly.
Makes sense. Even my reply left out telling the cops my name and address, something I would definitely include.

eye95

imported post

Citizen wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Citizen wrote:

Makes sense. Even my reply left out telling the cops my name and address, something I would definitely include.
Well, all the replies imply they include all previous replies. It's set up as an increasing scale of "cooperation."

eye95

imported post

rodbender wrote:
I am afraid to reply for fear of being called arrogant.......again.
What you said was called arrogant, because twice you condescendingly held yourself up as some kind of model of knowledge and gave reading assignments. Such posts are arrogant when you have no earthly idea of the experience and the education of the person you are talking down to.

So, knock off the antagonism and reply or don't. No one really cares if you do or not. If you choose not to reply, fine. But, stop making a juvenile show of not responding.

buster81

imported post

Citizen wrote:

Citizen, I agree with this statement (almost 100%)and the pointing, even though others know betterandadvise against making it. Mr. Ayoob has testified at dozens of trials as an expert. What he advises makes sense to me.

About this quote: "Fearing for my life, I shot him in self-defense." Would it not be better to simply say "I was in fear for my life."? Is there any value in admitting to shooting?

rodbender

imported post

eye95 wrote:
rodbender wrote:
What you said was called arrogant, because twice you condescendingly held yourself up as some kind of model of knowledge and gave reading assignments. Such posts are arrogant when you have no earthly idea of the experience and the education of the person you are talking down to.

So, knock off the antagonism and reply or don't. No one really cares if you do or not. If you choose not to reply, fine. But, stop making a juvenile show of not responding.
If what I say is arrogant, doesn't that make me arrogant by default?

eye95

imported post

rodbender wrote:
eye95 wrote:
rodbender wrote:

If what I say is arrogant, doesn't that make me arrogant by default?
It is a common mistake for people to assume that someone is defined by a handful of things they say or do. They aren't. Case in point: Very intelligent people say stupid things once in a while. Of course they are not stupid.

Now, if one regularly says arrogant things, one is likely arrogant. Otherwise, probably not.

I am done talking about this. Respond or don't at your choosing.