• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Wally World

killchain

imported post

tyguy808 wrote:
The only time I've ever had any trouble was an elderly female greeter asked if I had a "concealed weapons permit". I told her that there is no such thing. She told me that her husband had just got his, to which I replied that there was no such thing. She snapped back with "you calling me a liar?", i retorted with " no ma'am" and explained the whole CPL thing versus CWP. Just then a manager walked by and she asked him, he told her to let me be (he was a former neighbor of mine). That was that.
Were you in Richland, per chance?

I was with a friend who was OC'ing at like 2am, went through the store just fine and on the way out the elderly greeter asked if we had a permit. When we explained, she then felt the need to ask us to leave. On the way out. :banghead:

We came back an hour later (empty holsters this time) and gave her one of the pamphlets.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

I was thinking of this the other day when I went into walmart, but since it is the reservation do we still go by state law or is it something different. I have heard of people being arrested or at least detained at the Marysville/Tulalip walmart from a family member that works there.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
I was thinking of this the other day when I went into walmart, but since it is the reservation do we still go by state law or is it something different. I have heard of people being arrested or at least detained at the Marysville/Tulalip walmart from a family member that works there.

I been there and had no probs.

They won't arrest you the most they can do is ask you to leave.

mnrobitaille

Metal_Monkey wrote:

I been there and had no probs.

They won't arrest you the most they can do is ask you to leave.

Doing a Thread Bump, as I did a bit of investigating into OC/CC on Tribal Lands. Most Tribes classify themselves as Sovereign Nations & so a State issued CPL is not valid on reservation. Each tribe is different, but for the most part, you have to get a permit through the Chief of Tribal Police &/or the Tribal Magistrate/Judge.

mnrobitaille

Ok,

I am interested in others attempts to OC in Wally World in Washington. Which one did you go into? Did you get extra attention? Did a manager ask you to leave?

I ask because I have done it a couple of times in 2 stores but I know the managers where I was at so I wouldn't get the same response as Joe Anybody. I have also worked in the stores and have gotten the calls about OCers in the store and have had to inform them of the state law.

I've OC'd in the Othello Supercenter once, & walked almost throughout the whole 97.000 sq. ft. without anyone saying anything. I have OC'd in the Pasco Supercenter a couple of times, & no one has mentioned anything.

solus

slowly raising my hand to get your attention...

uh you might not have noticed...the thread you posted on today is 5 years olde...?

just saying mind you...

ipse

mnrobitaille

slowly raising my hand to get your attention...

uh you might not have noticed...the thread you posted on today is 5 years olde...?

just saying mind you...

ipse

LMAO I know, but at least it keeps the conversation going without starting a new thread about the same thing.

In my area of Washington State recently, there's been a few gun-related incidents happening, so one would think people would be weary of anyone other than LEOs carrying. Like I stated earlier, I've had no issues whenever visiting the Walmarts in my area.
(thanks to the one incident, you'd think people wouldn't trust LEOs to carry).

Last edited:

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
Doing a Thread Bump, as I did a bit of investigating into OC/CC on Tribal Lands. Most Tribes classify themselves as Sovereign Nations & so a State issued CPL is not valid on reservation. Each tribe is different, but for the most part, you have to get a permit through the Chief of Tribal Police &/or the Tribal Magistrate/Judge.

I live on a tribal reservation, its about the size of a whole county. Where I am, tribal law only applies to tribal individuals. If you are on tribal public lands then you are subject to the use of that land and in theory could be trespassed. Most tribes mimic the state's law in which they reside regarding firearms and most of them don't say a word about open carry.

Here is a good collection of tribal firearm laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw.pdf

sudden valley gunner

I don't conceal. I go to the reservation quite often even had chats with the chief of police. Nothing was said about my weapon.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
1. In my area of Washington State recently, there's been a lot of gun violence happening,

2. so one would think people would be weary of anyone other than LEOs carrying. .

1. What "gun violence"? Where? You are using the boilerplate terms they have designed for you. This assists the antis in holders brainwashing strategy.

2. That, Sir, is what we are for. We are the 'Shock Troops" of the Open Carry Movement. Because we Openly Carry well holstered handguns, do not break the law, and we are all incredibly good looking, that makes us Mighty. We are the normal, every day People of Washington. We just happen to be Armed.

sudden valley gunner

1. What "gun violence"? Where? You are using the boilerplate terms they have designed for you. This assists the antis in holders brainwashing strategy.

2. That, Sir, is what we are for. We are the 'Shock Troops" of the Open Carry Movement. Because we Openly Carry well holstered handguns, do not break the law, and we are all incredibly good looking, that makes us Mighty. We are the normal, every day People of Washington. We just happen to be Armed.

+1

notalawyer

I live on a tribal reservation, its about the size of a whole county. Where I am, tribal law only applies to tribal individuals. If you are on tribal public lands then you are subject to the use of that land and in theory could be trespassed. Most tribes mimic the state's law in which they reside regarding firearms and most of them don't say a word about open carry.

Here is a good collection of tribal firearm laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/tribal_law_ccw.pdf

That's true everywhere in the country.

Difdi

In my area of Washington State recently, there's been a lot of gun violence happening, so one would think people would be weary of anyone other than LEOs carrying.

Well, given that you're some 7-8 times more likely to be shot by accident or in error by a cop than by a CPL holder, well-informed people are usually a lot less wary of openly armed citizens than openly armed cops.

Difdi

Exactly which "area of Washington State" would that be? I am not aware of any "area of Washington State" where "there's been a lot of gun violence happening", recently or otherwise.

I'm getting a strong MDA whiff from this cat.

Well, if he includes suicides and the police using their weapons in his gun violence stats, he'll always have high 'gun violence' rates to cite.

Difdi

Also,don't forget, justified self-defense uses of firearms make up a large portion of the "gun violence" statistics that the anti-gun crowd likes to push. Using a gun to defend yourself and/or your children from violent crime seems to be more of an abhorrent idea to them than the criminal's actions.

Well, if you consider all human life to be equally valuable, it truly would be a bad use of a gun to them. Of course, someone who cannot see a moral or ethical difference between a little child and an adult serial killer probably shouldn't be allowed to be around children.

CheerfulHoplite

Well, since somone else already necro-ized the thread...

Covington Wally-world, about 10 days ago - about 9:30PM-ish, S&W Model 15 with black rubber Pachmyar grips in a "BlackHawk!" nylon holster on my belt. *BLATANTLY* visible since I was wearing a short white T-shirt. Only a blind man could miss the fact that I'm packing. Finished my shopping, already through checkout, near main doors packing my merch into my backpack, when I caught the tail end of someone talking to the greeter about 15 feet away - voice "fading up" from an unknown start, becoming intelligible at "...but I think it's a GUN! Is that even allowed?" Greeter says something that I can only hear well enough to know he's speaking without being able to tell what's said. Look up to see the first speaker heading for the doors, then as I finish getting my pack zipped up, he's back to the greeter "Well, I guess there's nothing on the door about it" and he disappears. I get my pack on and as I'm heading out, ask the greeter what that was all about. "Oh, he was worried about your piece. What is it?" Short conversation about it, and a final "have a nice night" as I headed out the door.

Fast forward 2-3 days, and I'm back in the store, this time early afternoon. Same piece, very similar shirt, just as obvious. Get the goods I came for, head for checkout, and SURPRISE! The guy who was worried about my gun the other night is running the till. I didn't bother saying anything, just did the load-the-belt thing. The instant he noticed my piece was so obvious it was comical...
"Oh! It's YOU! I... uhh... Um..."
I grin and sez to him "Yep, it's me - who else would it be?"
"Uh, well, um... You, uh... The other night... I umm... I mean... Well, you must be a cop, right?"
"Nope, at least, not last time I checked. <look down at my shirt> Nope, nobody's stuck a badge on me while I wasn't looking. Why would you think I'm a cop?"
"Well, you uh... I mean you... Ummm... <points at my piece> Why you wearing a gun? Is it real?"
By this point, I'm fighting to keep from busting out laughing, but I do my best.
"Yep, it's as real as you can get. And to save you the asking, yes, it's also loaded. As far as why, the better question is why not?"
"But only the cops can..."
I can see where that's going, and cut him off before he can get there
"Stop right there - No, NOT only the cops can carry guns. Anybody who isn't forbidden by law can carry here in Washington."
"But you've gotta have a special license or something, right?"
"Nope. Mostly, if you aren't a felon, you put your holster on your belt, you put your gun in it, and you're good to go. There's a few restrictions, but basically, if you're not a criminal, that's all it takes to legally carry."
"But who says it's OK?"
"Me. Or you, if you're the one packing. Or <pointing at the gal next in line> her if she wants to. This is an open carry state..." and from there it turned into a short class on open carry as he finished scanning my stuff, with several folks, both customers and employees (including one I think was the assistant manager) standing around with their ears all but jumping off the sides of their heads as they tried to listen in without seeming to. By the time the "incident" was over, I had probably half a dozen people walking along with me as I headed for the door, asking questions and getting answers on armed citizens. As we broke up and went our separate ways outside the doors, I couldn't resist the old "G.I. Joe" tagline... "And now you know - and remember: knowing is half the battle!" as I got on my bike and rode off :)