• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thinking about a high-capacity 1911... Para, maybe?

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

After visiting the Para booth at the NRA convention last weekend, I find myself desiring a hi-capacity 1911. Thinking about possibly a Para Big Hawg, or (since I'm a lefty) their S14-45 is looking really nice too.

http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=11

Then I stumbled across this forum thread: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?s=daf743d17fafad6271d484572565f99d&t=273272

Over at 1911forum.com the overriding sentiment seems to be very anti-Para, due to (supposedly) high rates of parts failure & atrocious customer service.

So... Who here has a Para & what would they like to tell me about it (good or bad). I know that Dreamer LOVES his P14-45, and that's great, but I also know he has spent a LOT of money on custom work on his.

I'm wanting to find a reliable high capacity 1911, preferably lefty-friendly, that can serve as a daily carry piece, and isn't going to require a bunch of custom work. I'm hoping to keep the price below $1200 as well. Truth be told, I'd really like to keep things around $1000, but I'm willing to go a little bit higher for the right gun.

After reading that stuff at 1911forum, I'm not so sure about Para anymore. I haven't completely ruled them out, especially as there seems to be a lack of high-capacity 1911's on the market.

Basically, I'm looking for suggestions here.

Deadman514

imported post

I had a P14 a while back but traded it in because there was too much I wanted to change (match trigger, beavertail, sights, etc). It also worked great but I wanted a "prettier" gun (stainless). That and my sore thumb web aside I had absolutely no problems with it.

Since then I've owned a P13, a P12 and a Warthog. LOVED all three. Very accurate, very reliable, .45 AND Hi-Cap!

I picked up a used stainess P14 with the trigger, beavertail and sights I wanted. It shoots WAY better than I can!

Seems people hear a bad story and run with it (for instance the Glock KaBoom) weather they've experienced the issue or not.

hightecrebel

imported post

I don't have one, but my buddy does. He hasn't had any problems with it yet, and he's had it for a year. Only put a couple thousand rounds through it.

45acpForMe

imported post

I had a thread on my Big Hawg: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=36394&forum_id=5&highlight=Hawg

Basically I like almost everything about the gun. Capacity of 15+1 in 45acp is great. The only problem I have with it is that it took 3-400 rounds of breakin, and is finicky about ammo. It will not shoot Blaser Brass without FTFs.

Shooting Remmington, Winchester and Federal Hydrashock seem to be ok but none of my other guns had the breaking need or the ammo sensitivity that the Big Hawg had.

I can still recommend it assuming you know the added expense of ammo to break it in. I got mine for under $800 with shipping and FFL costs.

I modified mine to put in a GI guide rod, spring cap and a 18lb spring. I hate having to use a tool (or destroying your finger) to break down a gun.

There are a couple available on gunbroker.com: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.aspx?User=413557

daddy4count

imported post

I used to have a P14... back when they were called Para Ordnance

It was my first .40, first 1911... I loved it. I would probably still be carrying it if I hadn't traded back up to .45 and fallen in love with my Springfield...

Fantastic weapon.

Mine had to go back to the factory for a couple weeks after there was a problem with the spring... but other than that I had no issues.

open4years

imported post

I have had a P14-45 and a P10-45. I carried the P14 for years until I felt the weight of a polymer gun! I never had problems with either of them and I still have them.

I'm currently carrying a .40, but I have thought about going back to a high capacity, polymer .45, and I'm considering one from FNH. I don't recall the 'name' of the gun. I'm sure that someone here knows more about it or owns one.

I do have their "Five Seven" pistol that fires a 5.7 x 28mm round and holds 20 in the standard magazine or 30 in an extended magazine. I really like it. Some have called it a glorified .22, but they must not have viewed bailistic gelatin photos. The round tumbles and causes a impressive 'wound' cavity. That is with standard ammunition. There are rounds that can penetrate a ballistic vest, punches holes in steel and
makes a watermelon explode. I have thought of making this my carry pistol.

Anyway, look into their .45s.

richarcm

imported post

I bought a Para Warthog this past weekend at a gun show. Its really tiny, and still holds 2 more rounds than a full size 1911. Its actually much easier to conceal, if you like having that option. I haven't taken it to the range yet....although its killing me!!!

I can say however that when I got it the metal on one of the mags was raw. Very abrasive...not finished. It effected its functionality. However I emailed Para and asked them if they could send me another one and they responded less than an hour later asking me for my address. So on the customer service side of things they seem to be pretty much on point.......

richarcm

imported post

And BTW....for what its worth....people say bad things about EVERY gun. I've owned two Taurus 1911s and they've been about the best guns I've ever owned. Yet you wouldn't know that the way people judge the gun by the price and the way they bash Taurus. Similarly EVERYBODY and their mother loves Kimber....but I've met 3 people now who sold their Taurus for a Kimber and regretted it because the Kimbers were pieces of crap.

Maybe the Para is crap. I don't buy into all of the hype. I've learned that opinions about guns are WOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRTTTTTTHLLLLLLLLLLLESSSSS. :)

open4years

imported post

gutshot wrote:
open4years wrote:
I have had a P14-45 and a P10-45. I carried the P14 for years until I felt the weight of a polymer gun! I never had problems with either of them and I still have them.

I'm currently carrying a .40, but I have thought about going back to a high capacity, polymer .45, and I'm considering one from FNH. I don't recall the 'name' of the gun. I'm sure that someone here knows more about it or owns one.

I do have their "Five Seven" pistol that fires a 5.7 x 28mm round and holds 20 in the standard magazine or 30 in an extended magazine. I really like it. Some have called it a glorified .22, but they must not have viewed bailistic gelatin photos. The round tumbles and causes a
impressive 'wound' cavity. That is with standard ammunition. There are rounds that can penetrate a ballistic vest, punches holes in steel and
makes a watermelon explode. I have thought of making this my carry pistol.

Anyway, look into their .45s.

You're talking about the FNH P45. I wanted one, but could never find the one I wanted for a reasonable price. They seem to be hard to get. They are very large guns. Look at the new Taurus PT-845
before you buy. I bought one and like it a lot. I haven't had a chance to shot it much.

Are you saying that it is bigger than the P14-45? That is pretty big to me. 14 in the mag and a pain to carry daily, especially if you add two extra mags. Thanks

45acpForMe

imported post

I have a FNH FNP-45 on order. It gets great reviews and has the capacity I am looking for at 14/15+1.

Of course right after I bid on mine another one more desirable became available. :) I haven't received it yet so can't say how it shoots but I have been liking bigger guns lately.

open4years

imported post

richarcm wrote:
And BTW....for what its worth....people say bad things about EVERY gun.  I've owned two Taurus 1911s and they've been about the best guns I've ever owned.  Yet you wouldn't know that the way people judge the gun by the price and the way they bash Taurus.   Similarly EVERYBODY and their mother loves Kimber....but I've met 3 people now who sold their Taurus for a Kimber and regretted it because the Kimbers were pieces of crap. 

Maybe the Para is crap.  I don't buy into all of the hype.  I've learned that opinions about guns are WOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRTTTTTTHLLLLLLLLLLLESSSSS.  :)

I agree with the gun bashing! Regarding Kimbers, I have two that were well made and shoot great. However, several people have bashed Kimbers too! So, no gun is safe from bashing!

richarcm

imported post

BTW...I just got back from breaking in my Para Worthog. It did NOT jam with using MULTIPLE brands of ammo, it did not fall apart, make funny noises, catch on fire or blow up.

I must have gotten the freak of the bunch heh??

The only part of the gun that I do not like so far are the magazines. They suck. The way that the base plates (Pearce) connect to the mag itself is HORRIBLE.

Dreamer

imported post

STI and Caspian both make Double Stack 1911's too, but most of those end up as "race guns"--you don't see many STI's on people's hips.

STI calls theirs a "2011", and they are VERY nice, and VERY expensive.

http://www.stiguns.com/guns/guns.php

Caspian doesn't sell complete guns to my knowledge, but they do sell double stack receivers in Steel and Titanium:

http://www.caspianarmsltd.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15&Itemid=13

Even Rock Island Armory made one for a while called the "1911-A2 High Capacity", and it was marketed under the RIA mark and with an Armscor stamp too, but they only made those for a few years. The RIA was a Para Clone, and was made in the Phillipines.

But Para invented the double stack 1911, and has been making them longer than anyone else.

old dog

imported post

I've toyed with the idea of a hi-cap Para for a couple of years now, but there is this problem.

I live near a mid-size city (200,000 +-) and I have yet to find a dealer. I have literally never seen a Para. One large national retailer told me quite simply "We don't carry Para."

What gives? No big deal, I'm just curious. Are there quality-control issues? I've hears such rumors about Kimber, for instance, but I love mine and have no complaints.

45acpForMe

imported post

gutshot wrote:
goalseter88 wrote:
so is para the only brand that makes a double stack 1911?

No, Springfield and Rock Island that I know of off hand.

I looked at the springfield model but think it is only available with low profile military sights. When your eyes get older those sights aren't much use. :-( http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?version=11

The Para has 3-dot sights although night sites would be better. http://www.para-usa.com/new/product_pistol_large.php?id=55

Archangel

imported post

Looks like you were looking primarily for a 1911 style hi-cap 45.

Otherwise I would have enthusiastically point you at the Springfield XD 45.

Awesome guns. Accurate, reliable, and built like a tank.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

ColdBlueSteel wrote:
Looks like you were looking primarily for a 1911 style hi-cap 45.

Otherwise I would have enthusiastically point you at the Springfield XD 45.

Awesome guns. Accurate, reliable, and built like a tank.
Yeah. Despite that when I created this thread I was looking at a hi-cap, I ended up with the Kimber Tactical Custom II instead. Here is a nice review on it:

http://www.officer.com/print/Law-Enforcement-Technology/Kimber-on-review/1$48107

As for the polymer-framed hi-cap .45, I already own a Glock 21 which I am quite happy with, so I feel like the XD45 would be redundant.