• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me understand

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TT,

Look people in the eye, smile and say 'hello', it is quite disarming and makes people feel much more comfortable. Keep it up, you will get to the point that people will not notice. Be polite, be kind, be courteous, be professional. Be ready to engage in a respectful manner when you say hello.

Keep it up!

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't sweat it TT. You're exposing these folks to something there just not accustom to seeing. Just keep OCing, and as gogodawgs said, smile and say hello to the gaukers.

Now some of those old geezer men might be having lurid fatasies at the sight of a female with a pistol on her hip. Just give em a wink and smile.

ClumsyCandy

imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote
The only thing that made me not turn around and just leave is I kept repeating in my head "I'm doing this because I am taking responsibility for me and my daughter's safety." Maybe I shouldn't care at all or be bothered by this but I can't help but still be a little nervous and uncomfortable when I carry and especially when I carry by myself. Thanks in advance for your feedback!!

I can't even count the number of times I've carried with men and I'm the one the notice. I'm 5'9" and weigh 134 lbs. I carry a full size .40 pistol because smaller pistols don't fit my hands. Even from other carriers I sometimes get the stink eye because "that gun is bigger than you are." Yes it gets old.

My traveling companion doesn't like for me to carry when he carries for multiple reasons. 1) he says I'm too snotty with the people who say things to me, 2) I'm a lot more obvious than he is and 3) he likes to be the "man" and responsible for my safety. I'll admit, unless were going to an especially bad part of town or in a large crowd, I'm perfectly content to let him carry. I have been Open Carrying for about a year now and so far I have actually never had anyone move away from me (that I've noticed) and I've even had kids get within 6 inches of my gun and never see it (it does however, make me uncomfortable to have anyone that close to me, gun or not). At the same time I've had people say things to me in stores and such that I know other people have carried in countless times without ever being noticed. Why? Because I'm tall and thin with a big gun.

Does it make me mad? Yes. If you search through my posts, you'll find a topic I started where I was asked to leave Barnes & Noble when I had my companions child with me. When I asked how I was supposed to defend myself and my child, I was told I shouldn't feel the need to defend myself. It makes me wonder sometimes about the women who say they would do anything to protect their kids, but are upset about me wanting to defend myself and a child that isn't even mine.

What do I do about it? Smile and ask them why they are scared/upset about me. I don't ever stop smiling. Until I leave the area then I call them F'ing iddiots. But never to their faces and never in their hearing. I also can't tell you the number of times I've had someone come to the door of the house for one reason or another or to do work in the house and I make sure I have my gun on my hip or in reach. Why? Because I'm a female alone in the house and I value my life.

Keep carrying. Don't rush through your life to appease someone else. My companion and I went to the museum awhile back, he was carrying. We were followed the entire hour we were there. We just made a joke of it and ignored them while enjoying our stay. We even joked about what would happen if we started running or walking faster if he'd run or walk faster to keep up. You shoulda seen their faces when they'd "lose" us...LOL I just go about my business with a smile on my face. It also helps me keep my frustration in check when I'm in a store because I don't want to give a bad impression.

PM me if you want to talk more. : ) Happy Carrying.

Oh and if you can in your state legally, don't feel bad about concealing. There are days I just don't feel like dealing with the bull hockey.

TTcrunchberry

imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
Oh and if you can in your state legally, don't feel bad about concealing. There are days I just don't feel like dealing with the bull hockey.

I think I would prefer to conceal but it is kinda hard with the holseter I have and I can't afford another holster right now. I'm currently using my boyfriend's. I want an inside the waistband one but I tried one out and it rubbed me the wrong way. And I just don't think that my wardrobe allows much for concealing ulness I wear jackets or sweatshirts. But yes, concealing is legal here with a permit (just like open carrying).

I don't mind when my boyfriend carries and sometimes we carry together, other times he doesn't carry but I do. Thanks for the support!! I totally don't know how to PM on here =( otherwise I would!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
I totally don't know how to PM on here =( otherwise I would!
Click on the user name of the person you wish to PM and make your choice - 2nd one from the top.

Yata hey

ClumsyCandy

imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
ClumsyCandy wrote:

I think I would prefer to conceal but it is kinda hard with the holseter I have and I can't afford another holster right now. I'm currently using my boyfriend's. I want an inside the waistband one but I tried one out and it rubbed me the wrong way. And I just don't think that my wardrobe allows much for concealing ulness I wear jackets or sweatshirts. But yes, concealing is legal here with a permit (just like open carrying).

I don't mind when my boyfriend carries and sometimes we carry together, other times he doesn't carry but I do. Thanks for the support!! I totally don't know how to PM on here =( otherwise I would!

I have a bunch of different purses. : ) Otherwise I could never conceal in the summer. And since you're a mom who has a kid who sits in the cart, I'm sure you already carry a good size purse. Just find a little room for it in your bag. Purses are cheaper than holsters. : )

And just click on my name, it'll give you options including send private message.

PistolPackingMama

imported post

I laugh to myself when I get reactions. Just keep smiling. Don't take their reactions personal. I have family and friends that make fun of me for carrying at all, but it's the look in my children's eyes when they know I am carrying and they are proud that their momma wants to keep them safe. All the other stuff doesn't matter.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Proud to walk with you ladies anytime, anywhere.

I find that the female of the species is often more in control of themselves than many of my male counterparts.

Sorry guys. :?

Yata hey

TTcrunchberry

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

I find that the female of the species is often more in control of themselves than many of my male counterparts.

Yata hey
I think I might love you for saying that!! =) I have never heard a guy say anything except either women shouldn't carry or that they don't care. It's nice to hear a guy admit that we can carry with the best of ya, or better ;)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
I think I might love you for saying that!! =) I have never heard a guy say anything except either women shouldn't carry or that they don't care. It's nice to hear a guy admit that we can carry with the best of ya, or better ;)
In my personal experience, women do not let their egos get in their way, learn more quickly and are frequently better shots even before training.

I have too much respect for women to put them down for their endeavors.
Besides, my momma didn't raise no stupid kids. :lol:

Yata hey

TTcrunchberry

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
In my personal experience, women do not let their egos get in their way, learn more quickly and are frequently better shots even before training.

I have too much respect for women to put them down for their endeavors.
Besides, my momma didn't raise no stupid kids. :lol:

Yata hey
I grew up being pretty nervous about guns and didn't even touch one until about 3 months ago when I was with my boyfriend. He thought maybe if he took it apart and showed me all the parts and explained how it worked I would be more comfortable. So I watched him take it apart and put it back together and he asked if I wanted to hold so I took a deep breath and grabbed it. He was all ready to explain how to hold it and totally stopped and smiled and told me I had it perfect. We've gone shooting and he is still a much better shot than me...for now =)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

You on the right road, you'll do well TTcrunchberry.

Take a class or two when you can and really surprise him. :D

Yata hey

TTcrunchberry

imported post

ClumsyCandy wrote:
I also can't tell you the number of times I've had someone come to the door of the house for one reason or another or to do work in the house and I make sure I have my gun on my hip or in reach. Why? Because I'm a female alone in the house and I value my life.

I do carry at my house mostly at night. My roomate is not a big fan of it so I try to stay in my area of the house but it makes me feel better

Tribunal Power

imported post

Keep it up, TT. You're inspiring.

Yesterday at Walmart, I had a woman behind me in the checkout line literally cowering with her man. He walked off to go do something and she started unloading the cart onto the belt just as I was. I saw that she was almost in tears, and very politely struck up a conversation. I got the "Are you a cop?" line, and when I said no, she seemed more nervous. But I went on to explain that I was just a guy doing some shopping with his wife, making sure nobody brings a tragedy into my life.

In the two minutes that we talked, she was much more comforted. She knew more about OCing, that it was legal, and that I was just a regular guy who loved his wife too much to leave the house without a means to protect her.

A smile turns cowering bystanders into interested onlookers, and they make you much less self-conscious. I've only been OCing consistantly for maybe a week, so I'm still a little nervous about it sometimes. When someone gets pushy about it, or acts terrified, I really feel the pressure. But I think that's good-- it helps refine our resolve. Next time someone is recoiling in terror of my gun, I'll be able to handle it a little bit better. And the next time people make a scene when you OC, you will too.

Just remember, that gun isn't there to be a fashion statement. How it makes other people feel is not as important as how it works to protect you. A woman asked me today, "Why do you walk around with a piece all the time?" I replied, "Because I've been caught without it too many times." She commented, "But this is a peaceful neighborhood!" And I said with a smile, "They all are. I'd rather have the gun when I don't need it, than not have it when I do."

Obviously, the woman was confused by my choice to OC. My explanation did not entirely satisfy her. But at the same time, it didn't have to. As much as I would have loved to talk to her, she just rolled her eyes and walked away. Some people are stubborn, and won't have it for whatever reason. You just have to resign to the fact that it just plain doesn't matter. People can assume what they want, but until they ask you to educate them, try not to let it get to you. You're within your rights, and you're acting wisely.

Hope that encourages you! :D

TTcrunchberry

imported post

Tribunal Power wrote:
Keep it up, TT. You're inspiring.

Yesterday at Walmart, I had a woman behind me in the checkout line literally cowering with her man. He walked off to go do something and she started unloading the cart onto the belt just as I was. I saw that she was almost in tears, and very politely struck up a conversation. I got the "Are you a cop?" line, and when I said no, she seemed more nervous. But I went on to explain that I was just a guy doing some shopping with his wife, making sure nobody brings a tragedy into my life.

In the two minutes that we talked, she was much more comforted. She knew more about OCing, that it was legal, and that I was just a regular guy who loved his wife too much to leave the house without a means to protect her.
She was almost in tears because of your OCing? Wow that's something that hasn't happened to me yet and I think if me carrying made someone cry I'd cry too!! =) I like how you handled it and you were very encouraging!

MamaLiberty

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
But, you have to remember, it's not you who made them cry. It's the Brady Campaign and other anti-gun groups that have brain washed them since kindergarten that the gun is going to jump out of it's holster and kill them on it's own. People are taught by the anti-gun groups that guns are evil themselves and the person holding the gun has nothing to do with it.
It's certainly not that simple. The "Brady" bunch will use any irrational excuse or claim. One person (on line) told me she thought I must be some sort of blood thirsty idiot, just looking for someone to shoot... We're called "Rambos," vigilantes, etc. - people looking for trouble and hoping to find it.

When someone has that mindset, it's hard to convince them otherwise. But the smile, clean cut look, courtesy and so forth will help a lot.

I hate to see folks give glib and snotty answers to the question, "why do you carry a gun?" That feeds the stereotype of irrationality. I tell them that I am the only one who is responsible for my life and safety. I carry to protect myself and THEM if necessary.

TTcrunchberry

imported post

MamaLiberty wrote:
When someone has that mindset, it's hard to convince them otherwise. But the smile, clean cut look, courtesy and so forth will help a lot.

I hate to see folks give glib and snotty answers to the question, "why do you carry a gun?" That feeds the stereotype of irrationality. I tell them that I am the only one who is responsible for my life and safety. I carry to protect myself and THEM if necessary.
I think that having my daughter with helps for some reason. I think if I carried completely by myself I'd get more of a negative reaction. Also when my man and I carry together, the most that happens is a few elongated looks which makes it seem like two is less threatening than one. It's hard to follow or understand the fear patterns. Although I have not had an individual approach me yet, I would like to think I would handle it in a nice, friendly manner rather than snapping at them. I think it just scares people because the other day at WalMart I saw kids looking at it and I'm sure they asked their parents questions. I think it makes parents afraid because they want to shelter their kids from such things. My roomate for example, live in this bubble. We live kinda in the country and he likes to leave the doors all unlocked, no lights on after we're all asleep and he doesn't think self defense weapons are neccesary at all. So whenI lock the doors he gets mad and same with when I leave a lamp on upstairs. So imagine his hesitence when I brought a firearm home. He told me that when I leave with it on and come home with it on he doesn't want his kids to see it. So, I comply, I usually carry a towel in my right arm or a sweatshirt so that it's concealed until I get into my car or into my room. But his daughter saw it the other day and asked her dad why I had "that thing" with me and he told her "because she is crazy." This kind of stuff is what makes me afraid or nervous of guns. Now, even though he knows I have the gun in my room, he lets his kids go in my room unattended when I am not home (sometimes the gun is there sometimes it's with me). So if he were so afraid of it, you'd think he'd be more afraid of them finding it than them seeing it on me. Since they don't know anything about it or what it's capable of they are more likely to hurt someone if they found it than to go get an adult and not touch it. I don't know, I guess the reaction that I got was upsetting to me because I imagine parents were telling their kids the same thing my roomate told his daughter....

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TT,

NavyLt and MamaLiberty are both right.

Many people have succumb to the brainwashing rhetoric of the anti-gun groups such as the Brady Bunch, VPC, Million Mom March and others. These groups have for decades painted gun owners/carriers as ignorant knuckle draging Neanderthols. They have convince many people that guns are dangerous without any consideration of thedanger people themselve pose.

I believe that the reason the anti-gun groups detest OC so much is that it underminds their rhetoric. CC is "out of sight-out of mind", so society doesn't realize how many of their fellow shoppers in a store are armed and don't think about it. OC has brought the carry of handguns for self defense (SD)out of the closet. Now society can seethat law abiding citizens carry sidearms forSD and the practice is no longer "out of sight- out of mind." Now they are observing and thinking about it. The masses are realizing that what they are seeing isn't matching up with the anti-gun propaganda.

Now, TT, your area may be a little behind on figuring out that the Brady Camp has been lieing to them. All that staring you experienced is due to ignorance on the part of those other people. By continueing to OC in public, you will eventually help re-educate these people (OK , not all of them) and the staring will deminish. By remaining pleasant when queried as to "Why do you carry a gun?" and answering with logical and factual responses, you will show that you are not the ignorant Neanderthol the Brady Camp claims that you are.

The Brady bunch may be running out of walls to :banghead:.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

TTcrunchberry wrote:
MamaLiberty wrote:

I think that having my daughter with helps for some reason. I think if I carried completely by myself I'd get more of a negative reaction. Also when my man and I carry together, the most that happens is a few elongated looks which makes it seem like two is less threatening than one. It's hard to follow or understand the fear patterns. Although I have not had an individual approach me yet, I would like to think I would handle it in a nice, friendly manner rather than snapping at them. I think it just scares people because the other day at WalMart I saw kids looking at it and I'm sure they asked their parents questions. I think it makes parents afraid because they want to shelter their kids from such things. My roomate for example, live in this bubble. We live kinda in the country and he likes to leave the doors all unlocked, no lights on after we're all asleep and he doesn't think self defense weapons are neccesary at all. So whenI lock the doors he gets mad and same with when I leave a lamp on upstairs. So imagine his hesitence when I brought a firearm home. He told me that when I leave with it on and come home with it on he doesn't want his kids to see it. So, I comply, I usually carry a towel in my right arm or a sweatshirt so that it's concealed until I get into my car or into my room. But his daughter saw it the other day and asked her dad why I had "that thing" with me and he told her "because she is crazy." This kind of stuff is what makes me afraid or nervous of guns. Now, even though he knows I have the gun in my room, he lets his kids go in my room unattended when I am not home (sometimes the gun is there sometimes it's with me). So if he were so afraid of it, you'd think he'd be more afraid of them finding it than them seeing it on me. Since they don't know anything about it or what it's capable of they are more likely to hurt someone if they found it than to go get an adult and not touch it. I don't know, I guess the reaction that I got was upsetting to me because I imagine parents were telling their kids the same thing my roomate told his daughter....

OK, you need to make a trip to the hardware store and get a new doorknob for your room THAT LOCKS! If this roomate of yours doesn't want to educate his kids about firearm safety (or firearms at all) and allows his kids to rumage around in your room at will, you've got a recipy for disaster that he will undoubtedly blame on you, if one of his kids should find your gun and accidently shoot themselves or one of the others while playing with it

Obviously this guy has no respect for the rights of others, such as privacy rights. And doesn't teach his kids about this either. Sounds like a real idiot to me.

Better yet, move if you can.

Tribunal Power

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
TTcrunchberry wrote:
MamaLiberty wrote:

OK, you need to make a trip to the hardware store and get a new doorknob for your room THAT LOCKS! If this roomate of yours doesn't want to educate his kids about firearm safety (or firearms at all) and allows his kids to rumage around in your room at will, you've got a recipy for disaster that he will undoubtedly blame on you, if one of his kids should find your gun and accidently shoot themselves or one of the others while playing with it

Obviously this guy has no respect for the rights of others, such as privacy rights. And doesn't teach his kids about this either. Sounds like a real idiot to me.

Better yet, move if you can.

+1

The only thing worse than living with an idiot is living with an idiot's rules.

If he really thought you were a crazy lady with a gun, I doubt he'd be such an ass. xD

Just to cheese him off, you should sit his kid down sometime and explain to her the real reasons you carry. I bet she'll get it. She's probably brighter than daddy. :p