• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Loudoun Summer Music Fest is Anti

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

http://www.loudounsummermusicfest.com/faqs.html

What is the Loudoun Summer Music Fest "ZERO TOLERENCE POLICY"?

Loudoun Summer Music Fest has a ZERO TOLERANCE policy toward WEAPONS,
ILLEGAL DRUGS/ILLEGAL DRUG USE, and UNDERAGE DRINKING. WEAPONS POLICY: All weapons whether legal or illegal (guns, knives, mace, etc.) will be confiscated
at the door. No exceptions! No kidding! Just leave them in your vehicle.
DRUG USE POLICY: Any patron found possessing illegal drugs or using illegal
drugs at Loudoun Summer Music Fest or anywhere on the concert grounds
(including all parking areas) will be turned over to the proper legal authority
and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. No exceptions! No kidding!
UNDERAGE DRINKING POLICY: All minors found consuming alcoholic beverages
and/or adults found providing alcoholic beverages to minors at any time at
Loudoun Summer Music Fest or the concert grounds (including all parking
areas) will be turned over to the proper legal authority and prosecuted to the
fullest extent of the law. No exceptions! No kidding! Plain and simple,
DON'T DO IT anywhere at Loudoun Summer Music Fest or on the concert grounds.

ed

imported post

Now I get it..

- - -

Loudoun Summer Music Fest under New Management
(Ashburn, Virginia) The Loudoun Foundation announced today that Seven Hills Presents out of Richmond, Virginia will assume management and promotion of the Loudoun Summer Music Festival, a spring/summer outdoor concert series at Belmont Country Club in Ashburn, VA.

Seven Hills Presents is led by veteran concert promoter David Peterson, who produces the “Celebrate Virginia Live” concert series in Fredericksburg, VA and has served as Developer/General Manager for the National Theater in Richmond, VA and GM of the Innsbrook After Hours concert series in Glen Allen, VA.

“We have been in discussions with Seven Hills for the past several months and are confident they possess the tenacity and skills required to take the Loudoun Summer Music Fest to the next level,” said Tracy Parent, founder of the Loudoun Foundation. “Seven Hills enthusiastically accepts stewardship of this great concert series and looks forward to providing Loudoun County with the level of entertainment it so richly deserves.”

Still in partnership with the Loudoun Foundation, the event remains committed to Loudoun and it's non-profit organizations and will continue to partner and raise awareness for community causes. Mr. Peterson stresses that Seven Hills “is committed to reinvigorating the Loudoun Summer Music Fest while also preserving the community-friendly atmosphere of previous seasons.” While no artists have been formally announced, Mr. Peterson states the first of the season’s concert announcements will be very soon and that his plan for 2010 includes 10 – 12 weekend concerts starting in early May continuing through early August.

Past seasons of the Loudoun Summer Music Fest have featured artists such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Styx, Foreigner, REO Speedwagon, Little Feat, Travis Tritt, The Wailers, Blues Traveler, and INXS.

nova

imported post

I'd like to see them confiscate private property.

ed

imported post

Postcard Sent!

belmontmusic.jpg

VApatriot

imported post

nova wrote:
I'd like to see them confiscate private property.
Agreed. I wouldn't think thatthey have the legalright to "confiscate" your property, particularly something like a firearm.Itseems a lotlike stealing to me.

If this a completely privately owned and funded venue and event, than the most they should be able to do is have you charged with trespassing if they tell you to leave and you refuse to do so.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Nice postcard, Ed.

I was going to urge complaining about guns being lumped in with drugs and alcohol, but I like your idea better.

Although, it occurs to me that a certain mindset probably does lump guns, even legal guns, in with drugs and alcohol. I wonder if there is a way to point out the error in a diplomatic way.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ed wrote:
I probably won't even get a response. Only the TRUE PROFESSIONALS, even those that disagree with me and my point fo view, at least write back and tell me so.
That bunch sounds like the artsy type. I don't mind art; effete artsy types bug me no end.

Of course, maybe that is the problem. Wejust need to come up with aesthetic guns!

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

Well I received a response.... to being notified that I was thinking of attending, but now will not be because of the policy. I also warned they might want to talk to a lawyer about trying to confiscated someones legal property.

To:xxxxxxx@hotmail.com
CC: davidjpeterson@mac.com
Subject: RE: An insult to our rights
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 16:33:42 -0400

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} William,

Thanks for your note.

The reality is that there is nothing "anti-freedom" inthe ZeroTolerance of the Loudoun Summer Music Fest. We respect theconsitutionally protectedright of the property owner to determine which activities will or will not beallowed on their personalproperty.

The policystates nothingmore nor nothing less.

There is no call for a consitutional amendment for the banishment of the right to bear arms.There is no call to limit the rights of gun-owners.

Theproperty owner is simply exercizing his own constitutionally protected personal property rights; your rights remainfully intact. You may continue to own and bear arms on your own property and all properties where firearms are permitted.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Laurin

To: laurin_willis_wmd@msn.com
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 00:40:39 -0500

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Dear Laurin,

You have a great event, I will be somewhere that respects people rights. For the record, I never argued personalproperty rights did not exist, I pointing out the effect of insulting law abiding citizens by making them have to decide between safety and attending your event. I and many others find that choice an easy one to make, we simply wont be attending.

But that said, I do again suggest you speak to your lawyer(s) before you try and confiscate someones private property. I can only guess how that would go over when you try and take a legally owned firearm from someone, who simple did not catch your anti-self defense policy. I would love to hear how that works out for you. I also hope your also planning on actually protecting the lives of everyone in attendance beings you seem to feel the need to make defenseless.

Cheers,

Will

------------and her double response------------

William

We're changing the wording on both the Innsbrook After Hours and LSMF websites this morning to reflect that people will only be asked to take their firearms/knives/mace/etc. back to their vehicle. We've never confiscated any firearmsin the past, we've always requested they return the weapons to their vehicle. You are correct that it did come offWAY heavier than intended. Our bad there.

If you could please forward our dialogue toyour contacts at carryover, I'd appreciate it.

Naturally, we aren't lookingto make anyenemies andunderstand if those who disagree with our policy choose not to attend.

Thanks,

Laurin

To: xxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com
CC: david@davidjmusic.net
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 03:01:13 -0400

.ExternalClass .ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;} .ExternalClass body.ecxhmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;} Will,

Actually,we possiblycan change the wording of the zero tolerance rule for weapons. We don't/won't confiscate anyfirearms; those possessing firearms are simply denied admission to the facility until thefirearms are returned to their vehicle.That could be clarified.

Our policies are not established to insult anyone; they are in place to ensure that every event runs as smoothly and safely as possible for the enjoyment of the entire crowd. We fully understand that there will be those who disagree with certain tenants ofthe statedpolicy andmay decide not to attend because of their point of view. That's an unfortunate fact of life.

We certainlywould neverleave attendees defenseless when attending the Loudoun Summer Music Fest.At every concert there are 8-10 Loudoun County Sheriff'sOffice deputies with commandcenter,25-30 shirted security, and fully operational emergency medical technicians and transporton site continuously ensuring the safety of our patrons. Help is literally moments away from anywhere within the pavilion.

We do not feel that the policy is a decision between safety and attending our event. Situations do arise between patrons and we feelthe policy allows for our deputies and shirted security to enter with a high level of confidencefor their personal safety, for the safety of those involved, and for the safety of the crowd as awhole and that the situation will be resolved as quickly and peacefully as possible.

Our hope is that you will reconsider attendance at the Loudoun Summer Music Fest however we respect your right to make your choices are you see fit.

Thanks,

Laurin

ed

imported post

Date: Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM
Subject: You can add me to that group..
To: laurin_willis_wmd@msn.com, david@davidjmusic.net

Hi Laurin -

You can add me to the group that loves music, lives in Loudoun and is
a gun owner that is no longer going to attend concerts at belmot.
"Live at Belmont" has no such policy. I am very familiar with concerts
as I worked for Cellar Door for years and the late Dave Williams (the
Bayou, DAR, Nisson Pavilion).

Anyway.. I understand the rights of private property owners and
respect those rights. But unless you are going to pat people down
airport style, even in private areas, or xray them or have them walk
thru magnetometers, BAD GUYS bring in guns and knives and you are
simple putting on a "facade of safety".

A personal friend of mine was in a place that was also a "facade of
safety" and her husband was murdered right in front of her. (Google
"Nikki Goesser").

You guys should take care of the venue, music, vendors, good food,
etc. and leave the laws to the state. If you feel you MUST say
something about weapons on your website, say something like "No
illegal guns/weapons? permitted. then you can have that sense of
security while allowing the LEGAL carry of firearms.

One final note.. if someone were to be attacked at your event and
they could have prevented the attack but you disarmed them, you could
be held liable in Virginia. Other states have already passed similar
laws. Just something else to consider.

Thanks,

Ed

ed

imported post

To: ed, david@davidjmusic.net
Sent: 5/25/2010 12:51:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: RE: You can add me to that group..

Thanks for the note, Ed, and I fully support your right to feel safe in
the manner you see fit. If the policies we have for the Loudoun Summer Music
Fest would make you feel less than safe then we're sorry that we won't be
seeing you. We're very happy with the line-up of artists for 2010 and wish
you could feel safe with the precautions we have taken.

We do appreciate William's and your pointing out the complete mistake we
had on the site regarding confiscating firearms at the gate. That never has
been our goal; we've always asked people to take firearms back to their
vehicles. We do end up with a number of knives and maces through out the
summer because many of those in possession don't feel it's worth the walk
back to the car.

We certainly wish you well and, believe it or not, I'll fight side-by-side
with you should the government ever look to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Thanks,

Laurin

TFred

imported post

ed wrote:
To: ed, david@davidjmusic.net
Sent: 5/25/2010 12:51:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: RE: You can add me to that group..

Thanks for the note, Ed, and I fully support your right to feel safe in
the manner you see fit. If the policies we have for the Loudoun Summer Music
Fest would make you feel less than safe then we're sorry that we won't be
seeing you. We're very happy with the line-up of artists for 2010 and wish
you could feel safe with the precautions we have taken.

We do appreciate William's and your pointing out the complete mistake we
had on the site regarding confiscating firearms at the gate. That never has
been our goal; we've always asked people to take firearms back to their
vehicles. We do end up with a number of knives and maces through out the
summer because many of those in possession don't feel it's worth the walk
back to the car.

We certainly wish you well and, believe it or not, I'll fight side-by-side
with you should the government ever look to repeal the 2nd Amendment.

Thanks,

Laurin
Translation: We know we have our heads in the sand, and we like them there.

TFred