• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any Beretta Tomcat owners?

TehGruu

imported post

I'm looking for some input from those that have owned/carried and shot one. I'm in the market for a pocket gun. I was leaning towards the Ruger LCP, but the Tomcat looks like it might be a little better craftet for longtermdurability. Ammo availability is also an issue. I have seen more shelves with .32 than .380 in my area. I know both have had some quality issues, I just like the thought of carrying steel better than plastic. Oh, and let's not get into a debate about stopping power. I am a .45 guy personally, I'm just in the market for something that could be thrown into a pocket as a back up or primary depending on attire. Having even a .32 or .22 is better than harsh language in a SD situation. Thanks for your time.

-Gruu

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
imported post

Yes, I have one.

Some people'report' thatthe small Berettas (21A Bobcats and3032 Tomcats) are 'jam-o-matics' but IMO, these people are usually just ignorant/inexperienced re:guns and/or how to shoot them in general.Still, other ignorant people see such posts and repeat them. This then becomes Internet-wide "evidence" and therefore "proof" that the small Beretta's are crap/unreliable. My experience with them (two 21As andone 3032,all in inox finish -- I don't buy non-inox Berettas) is quite different and very satisfactory.

In a nutshell:

1. Zero malfunctions so far (but I did my usual 'semi-auto pre-shooting break-in routine' with it before I ever actually shot it -- so I can't say it would or would not have malfunctioned out-of-the-box with NO such pre-shooting break-in routine).

2. The inox Tomcat issmall 'chunky' gun (due mainlyto the 'fatter' slide the inox version has, solves any issues of slide cracks the earlier non-inox/thinner slide3032ssometimes had -- but I have no data re: how many guns actually had this issue) but that's fine with me. Small means someone trying to leverage it out of your hand is VERY unlikely to be successful, and if they DID try, you just fire it and blow some fingers off! Then, while they are somewhat distracted, shoot them in the head multiple times for good measure. Very tidy.

3. It's DA and SA...I do NOT care for DAO guns, which means that the other .32ACP choices in this genre (such as the Seacamp, NAA Guardian) don't qualify. And the Keltec P-32 is too 'iffy' re: quality, durability and reliability for me.SA allows for very accurate fire at longer ranges, if required. Small guns are more accurate than most people know orcan shoot them.

4. Quality-made...and the pricing reflects that!

5. Being a gun in current production (and production facilities here, unlike some of the other small SA/DA foreign autosin .32ACP), you can find parts and magazines for it! Not true of the other guns...which are nice guns, but parts, even magazines are REAL hard to get. I'm talking about the Zastava M-70 (in .32) and CZ-82/83 (in .32). Lots of the latter in 9x18 Makarov, buttry to find even the GUN in .32ACP version. Then .32 magazines. Forget it! Beretta mags are much easier to get (or qualityMec-Gar mags, the only 'aftermarket' brand to consider here).

IMO, .32ACP is just fine for self-defense. As per the included info sheet re: ammo choices (Beretta does not recommend the HOT stuff), Iuse Aguila .32ACP FMJ ammo exclusively (but any OTHER .32 FMJ of the same power level as stated on that info sheet would be fine).

I think that gives you a pretty good overview...good luck,

-- John D.

markand

imported post

I have 2 Tomcats. Rarely carry either, but shot them a bunch until the ammo shortage drove up cost and drove down availability.

Don't recall ever having a jam or misfire with either gun. Make no mistake, they aren't powerhouses. I've stood to one side and watched my daughter shoot and can easily see each bullet flying downrange. That said, I'd much rather have one of these than bare hands.

Hope this helps.

TehGruu

imported post

Hey, thanks for the info guys, especially the in depth information. I went to a couple of gun stores yesterday and handled both for a good while. I ultimately went with the LCP. The Bobcat felt like it was be the better shooter, but the LCP is thinner and would fit my pockets better. Also, they wanted close to 500 bucks for the matte version of the Tomcat. However, I do believe I'll keep my eyes open for a used one. The Tomcat just looks neat and like it would do the job if needed. I also almost made an impulse buy on a Kel Tec Sub 2000, but they only had one in .40 and I really want one in 9mm. Anyway, thanks again guys! Ya'll are one of the reasons I come to this forum for information.

-Gruu

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

I witnessed a matte tomcat frame break at around 350-450 rounds. Beretta replaced it for free minus shipping it back to Beretta. On the berettaforum it seems that the inox tomcats with their thicker slides are a lot more durable. Somehow it seems that the thick slide batters the frame less. The gun usually continues to work after for a little while after the crack occurs on the frame, but I didn't notice the crack on the gun until the piece of the frame bent up and stopped the slide motion. The frame on the matte and Inox tomcats are aluminum. There is also a titanium frame version but not many were made. I think all of them should have been made with a titanium frame. The titanium frame adds slightly to the weight but it's a lot stronger than the aluminum frame.

If you ever get a tomcat in the future, I would recommend against the matte colored one with the thin slide.

TehGruu

imported post

Yeah I plan on getting one when I can get a good deal. They seem like neat little guns. It looks like the Inox version is the one I'll go with. Anyone have one that needs a good home? :lol:

-Gruu